PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck!

Lite4
02-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey guys, I am flying out of town early Tuesday morning for a job interview. There is a large Electrical Contracting firm in the midwest that is interested in having me start up and operate a lighting division for them. They see the potential revenue of a specialized division for limited energy applications and realize that this is something they can no longer afford to ignore. They have told me they are wanting to make a huge advertising push this year and gain market dominance in the landscape lighting industry in their area. So, I guess I will see what they have in mind.
Advantages I see are:
-They have a great name in their community and a very deep past customer list to go back and advertise in.
-(not sure yet), but they seem very well funded and operate an already very successful Elecrical contracting and service company.
-They are in a large metropolitan area with a much larger potential customer base than I could hope for here where I live.
-They are chomping at the bit excited to get this going and to make it ultra successful. After talking to the owner, it seems we share a common vision for what is possible and where this thing could go which is a definite plus.

If it looks like it is going to be financially advantageous for both parties, I might make the move. We'll see. I am not overly excited about moving my family, but this could be a one of kind opportunity.

The Lighting Geek
02-15-2009, 09:17 PM
I wish you luck my friend. It is not easy to make such a move should you need to. Keep us posted.

bmwsmity
02-15-2009, 09:41 PM
good luck tim...just hope it's not in cincinnati LOL

sounds like an exciting opportunity!

NightLightingFX
02-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Very Interesting,
I wish the best for you. I will be interested on hearing how your furture turn of events come out.
~Ned

TXNSLighting
02-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Wow best of luck Tim! I hope its a good oppurtunity for you, Make sure it all makes sense, Relocating can be hard but in this economy if it will help you and the family, then thats the way to go.

indylights
02-16-2009, 09:26 AM
I know the company and position you are interviewing for. You'll love it here. Good luck.

Lite4
02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I know the company and position you are interviewing for. You'll love it here. Good luck.

Well, I havn't taken it yet. Tomorrow is as much an interview for them as it is for me. It sounds like they have been beating the brush pretty hard around there looking for the right person. How has the local economy been around there for you? It seems you all are faring much better than in my neck of the woods.

worx
02-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Best of luck for you and your family Tim. I hope everything goes well!!!!!

Lite4
02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks Steve, I appreciate that.

JoeyD
02-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Go get em Tim!!! Best of luck buddy!!

NightScenes
02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Light em up Tim!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Best of Luck Tim. It sounds like it could be an interesting opportunity, for both sides.

rlpsystems
02-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Good luck Tim.

Mark B
02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Good luck. I think working for a larger company on the ground floor like you are doing could be fun. Enjoy the open doors of you get it.

Eden Lights
02-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Good luck, as always look at all the angles and consult others to make your mind up.

I am still holding out for a offer from Joey and Nate:)

TXNSLighting
02-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Good luck, as always look at all the angles and consult others to make your mind up.

I am still holding out for a offer from Joey and Nate:)

Hey me to!! :laugh:

Lite4
02-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Well, I got back last night. I was absolutely staggered by how successful this company is. The owner has an incredible head for business and marketing. When he told me what he spent on marketing alone last year and what his budget was this year, it literally made my head spin. 20% of his income goes back into marketing. He has already offered me the job and I am just weighing the options of moving across the country. The job would be to come in and develop and manage a low voltage lighting divison for them. Exactly the same thing I do now except with an enormous marketing budget, all the financial and personal backing I would need, and the freedom to shape the lighting division how I thought fit and with whatever personell is necessary, as long as it is profitable. Looking at a base salary + commission based income. I am waiting for the compensation package proposal tomorrow and I will go from there. If everything looks good, I may be posting on lawnsite from east of the mississippi before too long.
Thanks for the support guys.

Lite4
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Hey Indylights, (I dont know your first name, Sorry)

Which guy is it you know over there, Mike or Dave?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-19-2009, 11:36 PM
Tim: Follow the money.

Best of luck!

TXNSLighting
02-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Fantastic Tim! Go get that money! I wish i would get that offer! I know youll make it profitable for em!

Lite4
02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Well, I have officially taken the position. I will be relocating on the 2nd of March to Indianapolis. I am really looking forward to this. It is going to be a hoot. Not sure if we are keeping the Firefly brand as a seperate division or if it is going under the main company name. We are trying to consider how to market both sides of the company together without the print and television media getting too cluttered. Simplicity is key!

Thanks for all the support guys. I'll be on the other side of the big muddy here shortly.

klkanders
02-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Congrats Tim!
Hope all goes well for you.

Keith

TXNSLighting
02-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Congrats!! I hope it goes well!

Oasis-Outdoor
02-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Excellent! Glad to hear you got the position! I hope you make it big in this company. I have got stalled in the same sort of situation. Have had to rearrange my life & job several times in the recent past. Hoping to get back to a company I was employed with several years ago. Keep us posted on how the new job is working out....kudos!

steveparrott
02-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Tim, congrats and best of luck!

Lite4
02-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys.

NightLightingFX
02-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Tim,
Best of Luck, I know is will be hard to leave the Great Northwest & Boise - Not a bad place to live. Sounds like a good opportunity.
~Ned

Lite4
02-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I will miss mountains!

Mike M
02-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Way to go, Tim, Wagons East! (John Candy's last)

Lite4
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Wahoo! skids are up on Monday, bearing 105 degrees at 65 knots, 0 AGL. 1,800 miles. I am praying for favorable winds through the prairie states. Finishing up a 100% LED job here today and getting the trailer packed to go.

David Gretzmier
02-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Tim - Congrats on the new job and new opportunity.

Please take some hard learned advice from a guy who went from owning my own business, into a big partnership, and back again- get your contract in WRITING, and get an exit contract WRITTEN and SIGNED in place about what "Firefly" brings and gets to take from the business if you leave. You have a cool logo and have built a brand, and mentioned you may keep that brand in your new business position Indy. Make sure you have ownership in that brand that they buy from you if you leave the company and leave that brand there, or you take it back with you and you don't have to buy it from them.

Most folks don't think about endings when they start new beginninigs. I wish I had. Don't make the same mistake I did and get nothing for a brand you have already started, paid for and developed.

Lite4
02-28-2009, 09:25 PM
That's good advice. Thanks Dave

Lite4
03-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Well, I made it across country and am here and have jumped in with both feet. I am feverishly getting our price book and patio show display put together. I hope everyone is doing well and will be in touch. Wait till you guys get a load of my service truck. Holy cow dog. I will try to snap a pic and put it up on monday. Have a great weekend everyone!

David Gretzmier
03-07-2009, 09:42 PM
glad things are going well for you. keep us updated.

Venturewest
03-07-2009, 10:00 PM
That is awesome Tim. Can't wait to see the pic of the decked out truck and the first demos you set up out there.