PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Diesels and DPF's

evont22
02-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I've got a 2008 Ford with the 6.4 and 2008 Dodge with the 6.7, and have noticed that its more obvious with the Ford when it is regenerating. To those of you with Dodges and Chevys- do you notice when its regenerating? And also have any of you removed your DPF's yet?

mybowtie
02-15-2009, 10:19 PM
My chevy sounds a little different and there is a bleach smell when I park it if its in regen...No I havent taken the DPF off...Cant afford to void the waranty.
Dont know about the fords, but there are conflicting reports of milage gains with the DPF removed..Friend of mine with a lot more $ then me removed his from a 07 gm, with a tunner and exhaust he see a 1-2 mpg increase..Has about 3G's in upgrades, and has no powertrain waranty...

TXNSLighting
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
The dodges DPF system is different From Fords and GMs, i dont remember exactly how, but it is not as noticeable in the cummins. I know you have to run the cummins harder than the Fords and GM's to have a better regen. But yeh its normal that there are differences in the two regens.

Alot of cummins owners are pulling the DPFs off and are no longer having problems with their trucks, and are adding 5mpg to em. Fords add about that amount of fuel economy as well, but really arent having problems with the new engines emissions. Hope it helps.

Petr51488
02-16-2009, 12:01 AM
I can't really notice it when i'm driving 65 unless i reset the mpg checker and see 8. In park the idle goes up to around 900 and its alot quieter and the tailpipe is smoking hot.

evont22
02-16-2009, 12:15 AM
I have never "noticed" the dodge do it, but have noticed on the Ford. I was told there is an update that I need to take it in for that is basically a reflash from Ford that is supposed to take care of the truck going into regen when it is in park, and I was told may also display in the cluster that it is in "regen." It is noticable as it sounds the wastegate is opening and closing when driving. I'd love to take them off- But they are there for a reason and would hate to lose my warranties.

Bru75
02-16-2009, 12:30 AM
11,000 miles and ten months and I don't know if my GMC ever has. It is a W/T model, so I don't have the in dash display to tell me. It has plenty of power so I don't think it's clogged, but I'm wondering if I should be able to notice it.
Any of you GMC or Chevy guys know?

lawn king
02-16-2009, 08:04 AM
11,000 miles and ten months and I don't know if my GMC ever has. It is a W/T model, so I don't have the in dash display to tell me. It has plenty of power so I don't think it's clogged, but I'm wondering if I should be able to notice it.

You have gone through many regens. Its tough to tell with the duramax. I detect a kero kind of smell when my truck regens.

TXNSLighting
02-16-2009, 11:34 AM
I have never "noticed" the dodge do it, but have noticed on the Ford. I was told there is an update that I need to take it in for that is basically a reflash from Ford that is supposed to take care of the truck going into regen when it is in park, and I was told may also display in the cluster that it is in "regen." It is noticable as it sounds the wastegate is opening and closing when driving. I'd love to take them off- But they are there for a reason and would hate to lose my warranties.

Your truck doesnt have a waste gate last time i checked.

Petr51488
02-16-2009, 03:14 PM

It won't tell you when your in regen on the dash. One of a few things you'll notice while driving. idle rpms are around 900 as opposed to 7-8, you'll see your fuel gauge move in the wrong direction, hot exhaust (meaning you can't keep your hand there for more then a few seconds) and the truck is noticeably quieter.

evont22
02-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Your truck doesnt have a waste gate last time i checked.

It may not, but sounds as if one is opening and closing... All my dodge's in the past had them, for all I know the new one does too.

zedosix
02-16-2009, 06:59 PM
I can tell as soon as my truck starts to regen. but its not annoying or anything. I'll leave mine just as it was built, since I plan on keeping it for a long time, I need all the warranty I can get.

TXNSLighting
02-17-2009, 12:46 AM
You have VGT turbos, so there for no wastegate. 7.3 was the last to have a waste gate.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-17-2009, 01:22 AM
you can definitely hear the turbos bleeding off pressure or something along those lines when im in regen. also regen limits you to 22psi max, and thats if you have the pedal to the floor you might see 22psi. i like seeing the readout telling me if im regening or not. the only thing i would really like to see, is a meter that tells me approx how full the dpf is, and when you reach 60 or 70% full to give you the option to manual induce a regen if conditions permit. b/c i hate when the truck goes into regen and im nowhere near a highway nor will I need to be on one for at least a couple days. but since I have a 30min commute to school twice a week, id like to be able to engage a regen if my dpf is 60% so that way i know i wont have to worry about one over the weekend.

jtkplc
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
My '08 6.7L Dodge drops fuel economy on my overhead console reading on the highway from 17-18 mpg down to 12-13 mpg when going through regen. It takes about 20 minutes of highway driving and my mileage goes back to 17-18 mpg.

I've read where you can see ~3 mpg increase with a delete pipe.