PDA

View Full Version : Homemade RoundUP???

LouisianaLawnboy
02-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey

I found this on Craigslist

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/grd/1036406466.html

I think it's a fraud. What do you think? Is it legal?

4.3mudder
02-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Looks like it was, it was flagged, anything to make a buck is this society, or what is left to be a buck, now that the dollar value has gone down and is depleting rapidly.

Runner
02-16-2009, 01:05 AM
I would have liked to have seen it...It SURE wouldn't have been legal.

DLAWNS
02-16-2009, 01:15 AM
I agree..homemade Round up on Craigslist=not legal. lol.

LushGreenLawn
02-16-2009, 08:11 AM
It depends. For it would be legal he would have to have it registered with the EPA. My guess is that he was selling some kind of salt-water solution.

I doubt that he went through all the regulatory hoops if he was selling on CG.

Ric
02-16-2009, 09:33 AM
It depends. For it would be legal he would have to have it registered with the EPA. My guess is that he was selling some kind of salt-water solution.

I doubt that he went through all the regulatory hoops if he was selling on CG.

Yo

Yep pretty cheap to be selling for $ 2.00 and it would cost him a $ 0.42 stamp to mail you his recipe. But I believe he can legally sell you the recipe because of Freedom of speech, What you do with that recipe is on you.

He claims everything needed is all ready in your Kitchen. Well the tree hugger should know this recipe of salt, vinegar and maybe some baking soda. Of course most home garages have all kinds of weed killer like paint thinner and antifreeze. Who knows this fool could have copied his recipe off of a tree hugger garden site and in fact it might be legal under the Organic Crap law.

LB1234
02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
I can sell anyone vinegar if they'd like.

LushGreenLawn
02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Yo

Yep pretty cheap to be selling for $ 2.00 and it would cost him a $ 0.42 stamp to mail you his recipe. But I believe he can legally sell you the recipe because of Freedom of speech, What you do with that recipe is on you.

He claims everything needed is all ready in your Kitchen. Well the tree hugger should know this recipe of salt, vinegar and maybe some baking soda. Of course most home garages have all kinds of weed killer like paint thinner and antifreeze. Who knows this fool could have copied his recipe off of a tree hugger garden site and in fact it might be legal under the Organic Crap law.

The post was flagged what I tried to view it, I assumed he was selling a finished product.

I agree, the recipe may not be illegal. My next question is, will it be cost effective? Viniger and Salt are more expensive then diluted round-up.

ArizPestWeed
02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
I can sell anyone vinegar if they'd like.

Yes , you can , until you claim it is a pesticide , then you are in trouble

LB1234
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Ahh...but I just said I would sell vinegar. You can choose to place it on your salad or your unwanted vegetation.

this brings up such an interesting topic (for me at least)

Was in COSTCO the other day. They just got in the Scott Weed N' Feeds and their broadleaf weed killer. Price was like 52 bucks. However, it was two isles over from the open refridgerator units and man you could smell it. How the hell is this legal?

GravelyGuy
02-16-2009, 12:00 PM
In all of the papers the state gave us when you get licensed, there was an article about what it takes to make a pesticide and pass it through all of the EPA testing etc. I can't remember the exact figure, but it was millions upon millions of dollars in testing and R & D just to get one on the market.

Runner
02-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I didn't realize it was just a recipe...I thought he was going to try to sell and transport actual chem.
as far as the presumption that one can just sell vinegar to anyone they want,...actually, no...you can't - regardless if it is for a salad or not. Unless you are licensed through the FDA and licensed through your state's DOA and county health dept., you are unable to be in the grocery/produce business.
this would be no different than anyone just setting up a store in their garage and selling food items.

LB1234
02-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I didn't realize it was just a recipe...I thought he was going to try to sell and transport actual chem.
as far as the presumption that one can just sell vinegar to anyone they want,...actually, no...you can't - regardless if it is for a salad or not. Unless you are licensed through the FDA and licensed through your state's DOA and county health dept., you are unable to be in the grocery/produce business.
this would be no different than anyone just setting up a store in their garage and selling food items.

darn it...you caught me:nono:

Ric
02-16-2009, 11:22 PM
The post was flagged what I tried to view it, I assumed he was selling a finished product.

I agree, the recipe may not be illegal. My next question is, will it be cost effective? Viniger and Salt are more expensive then diluted round-up.

Lush

Just ask the tree huggers about cost. No way it can be as cost effective as Roundup.

LushGreenLawn
02-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Lush

Just ask the tree huggers about cost. No way it can be as cost effective as Roundup.

Thats true, some people may see it as organic, and think its 100% safe, and be willing to pay more to make it. The only thing is, Round-Up is pretty benign. It may even be safer than the viniger/salt water mix.

Ric
02-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Thats true, some people may see it as organic, and think its 100% safe, and be willing to pay more to make it. The only thing is, Round-Up is pretty benign. It may even be safer than the viniger/salt water mix.

Lust

Cost effective and cash flow effective are in fact two different things. This might be cash flow effective, however in this case I drought it. Roundup is sold in too many homeowner forms at a cash flow effective price.

Years ago Primo was sold in Quarts at a slightly higher price per oz. However at the price of Primo, Quarts were a cash flow effective price compared to cost effective gallons. I would venture to say we all have chemicals sitting in our chemical room that are very costly cash flow wise, but very low cost per thousand applied. Even lower cost chemicals that we only use in small quantity of become an inventory problem. This is one of my pet peeves about chemicals but a fact of life in our industry.

nik
02-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Ahh...but I just said I would sell vinegar. You can choose to place it on your salad or your unwanted vegetation.

There is a difference between vinegar and acetic acid, which is often sold as "horticultural vinegar". It is sold in conc. of around 20% or more. At those levels the product is decidedly not safe. Acetic acid at those conc. will blind you or at least cause severe eye damage. You see that stuff for sale and they often don't have any PPE listed.

From way back in 2002

http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/features/weeds/vinegar/vinegar.htm