PDA

View Full Version : Started in high school

mgt379
02-16-2009, 10:45 AM
My landscape carrer started in high school.I attend the Voag program there, this introduced me to the aspects of landscaping(mowing rototilling fertilizing operating heavy equipment such as backhoes tractors skid steers etc) Now i am a senior in highschool and am going to go to college for landscape horticulture to learn aborculture,design,Dendrology,Ornamental and produce gardening, soil fertility, and to learn about plants insects and disease. After that im going to work for a landscape company for a couple years then hopefully open my own buisness. Right now i just about have 4 years of experience becuase of the Voag program. thanks for listening -Pat

DLAWNS
02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Good for you...good luck to you. Welcome to the site.

RLLServicesCT
02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
oh you did voag huh? I had a choice to do that, but learned by teaching myself. Im assuming southington, but there are a few out there. If you are close in central ct I may have a summer job offering if you wish to learn some commercial equpment etc. Good luck with your career.

mgt379
02-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I live in Meriden so pretty central CT. I would love to have a summer job because my winter job at Mt Southington is just about up in a couple months, Im going to the Wallingford Voag which is in the process of getting a multimillion dollar expansion to bad Iam graduating so i wont get to enjoy it :( Its getting a ridiculously big shop like 8 bays with a full paint/sandblasting booth. They are getting all the cool stuff now like the mini excavators and dingos even one of the ride on fertilizer spreaders. Right now we had 5 tractors a skid steer with a bunch of attachments like power rake all the baseball field maintenance stuff and things like that. Voag has been one of the most enriching things I have done in high school

RLLServicesCT
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Any experience with commercial lawn mowers or trimmers, hedge trimmers, blowers, etc?

mgt379
02-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Yup, We have two walk behind exmark mowers one belt driven one has a sulky, Two exmark diesel zero turns one with a collector one without. Hedge trimmers I have experience with at home not to much commercially where I can do designs. Blowers I have experience both hand held, back pack and push. Trimmers I have experience with especially straight shaft. I worked in a repair shop for the winter fall and summer season and have fixed and operated most of the gas powered equipment commonly used by landscapers. Oh by saying that we have the mowers I was meaning that I have used them to mow several base ball fields and a couple of lawns

mgt379
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Do you think I ahve enough experience, If you want to talk you can email me boehringerp@yahoo.com

carterslandscaping08
02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Hey man,

I started out in high school with my company too..

Ten years later it is going strong and still growing. Keep it up and it will pay off!