PDA

View Full Version : Quickbooks users

mrkosar
02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
First, they offer support for $80/month for a software that cost me $120??? No free support either in first month! Plus the damn support people can barely speak English. Not fun so far.

Basically I'm trying to figure the best way to set up my company on Quickbooks. I am only using it to track expenses. I'm doing all invoicing through Real Green. I am not tracking bills owed because when I buy something I pay for it then with credit card or check (usually credit card). I'm trying to put my credit card info into QB and they want an opening balance from 12/31/08. Called bank and they can only give me balance from 12/18 and 1/20. I can probably go online and figure out my balance from 1/1/09, but I use the credit card for personal purchases also and this is where it gets me confused. I'm wondering the easiest way to set this up and what balance I should go off? I have all my business receipts from 1-1 until present day and planned on manually putting those in, but don't want to mess things up by putting in the wrong opening balance in. Because I use the credit card for purchases other than business won't this screw up my balance once I start inputting bills? PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!!! Their support online is a joke and if I call they tell me I will be charged $80.

mngrassguy
02-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Just start with a 0 balance. The first time you reconcile your credit card account, it will ask you if you want to automaticlly correct the balance. Say yes anb use "openning balance equity account for the correction.

JB1
02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
take a chill pill and drink a beer, at first it is very intimidating, just take your time once you get the first part you will see and everything will start falling in place. just takes time. You might want to take a class on it.

mrkosar
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
thanks. i will continue to read my Quickbooks for dummies book, put the balance to zero, and then roll a fatty up.

ant
02-16-2009, 09:38 PM
ask and u shall receive..

http://forums.quickbooksusers.com/index.php?

Perfect Image TLM
02-16-2009, 09:41 PM
thanks. i will continue to read my Quickbooks for dummies book, put the balance to zero, and then roll a fatty up.

This may result in long periods of staring at the screen! lol:laugh:

garydale
02-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Stick with it, QB is a great system.
I use the internet blog sites for help.

Ric
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
ask and u shall receive..

http://forums.quickbooksusers.com/index.php?

mrkosar

In another thread I posted there is no need to pay for technical support with Quickbooks. There are too many people using Quickbooks that can help you. In my case I have a friend who is a profession computer techn who does both programing and hardware repair on large server systems. He even repairs laptops hardware. We trade out services with no money exchange. But any one who works in Accounting Bookkeeping can help you. It is all about having friends and helping each other.

BTW I am still using 2003 quickbooks and have no reason to up grade. I no longer run credit cards but have in the past.

Surferbum21
02-17-2009, 07:21 PM
hey does anyone have quickbooks pro? I have simple start and am wondering if it is better to get the pro? I have yet to use this system to bill and keep track of expenses but so far better than when i was using excel. and my friend recommended gopher...is that better than QB?

americanlawn
02-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I recently bought Quickbooks Pro. I was expecting a CD in the mail. All I got was a download option on this computer. My prob is this computer is my home unt -- not the computer at the office where we needed it. WTF??? Our office is located in an area where we have no high speed capability. We use peoplepc.com there. Very slow speed. I think we're screwed. Not good. Are we screwed?? I think so.

phasthound
02-17-2009, 08:28 PM
I recently bought Quickbooks Pro. I was expecting a CD in the mail. All I got was a download option on this computer. My prob is this computer is my home unt -- not the computer at the office where we needed it. WTF??? Our office is located in an area where we have no high speed capability. We use peoplepc.com there. Very slow speed. I think we're screwed. Not good. Are we screwed?? I think so.

C'mon Larry, we're in the 21st Cent. :) You need high speed internet.

Ric
02-17-2009, 08:42 PM

C'mon Larry, we're in the 21st Cent. :) You need high speed internet.

Larry

Why do you keep announcing you rode the short bus?? Dial up will down load Quickbooks the same as High speed it just takes longer.

If you don't want to down at night after office hours and have Quickbooks in the morning. Then bring your computer home and hook up to high speed long enough to down load the program.

Now if you ever get sharp enough it is possible to work on Quickbooks on your office computer from your house.

mattfromNY
02-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Our local community college offers different levels of QB classes for $99 per session. Most sessions are 3 evenings, 3 hours each. I've been gonna, but havent yet.

Ric
02-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Our local community college offers different levels of QB classes for $99 per session. Most sessions are 3 evenings, 3 hours each. I've been gonna, but havent yet.

Matt

As common as Quickbooks is I believe you will find classes almost everywhere. Fla. Adult Continuing Education offered it here right in the big shopping mall. I never took a QB class but have picked up enough from friends to make it work for me. At one time I had a bookkeeper who worked on my computer remote from her home at her pleasure because she had small children and wanted to stay at home with them. Today she is office manager of a very large pest control company that she had worked for before having children. We still stay in touch and those babies are now taller than me.

sprayboy
02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
hey does anyone have quickbooks pro? I have simple start and am wondering if it is better to get the pro? I have yet to use this system to bill and keep track of expenses but so far better than when i was using excel. and my friend recommended gopher...is that better than QB?

I use the pro version. I really can't compare with the others because I never used simple start or the gopher.

The thing I like about pro is you can save the customer invoice as a memorized transaction and recall it and use it again without changing any info. You can save multiple invoices for the same customer also, if they have different prices for different apps.

I print a few days invoices ahead of time, take them with me on the route, then just record the ones I do that evening.

I found one of the easiest ways to learn is to play in the sample based business. If you screw something up...who cares.

Payroll is easy, it keeps updated with current tax forms and prints out year end reports in no time.

As others have said, there are online forums that are very helpful if you have any problems.

mngrassguy
02-17-2009, 11:17 PM
You only need Pro if your using it for invoices, credit card's or payroll.

Larry

I think that's why God created Zip drives. Copy it onto one and carry it with you.

Ric
02-17-2009, 11:52 PM
You only need Pro if your using it for invoices, credit card's or payroll.

Larry

I think that's why God created Zip drives. Copy it onto one and carry it with you.

MN

Or a CD, in fact a CD might be better because Zip drives can go bad where CD should last. But IMHO Larry doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers and might be better off Down loading directly to the computer he is going to use the program on. I seriously question whether Larry could down load to a CD or Zip.

BTW For those of you who want to back up your bookkeeping system, a on line E mail address works well. Yahoo or G Mail etc are good. Just E mail the Back up file to yourself using that days date as part of the file name. Ex might be 021709 added to the file name. Do not use 02/17/09 because it will not work with back slashes. But 02.17.09 with work. If your computer crashes completely you can retrieve your bookkeeping from any computer. I try and back up at least once a week. Since I leave a laptop in my truck I sometimes back up and then retrieve my books from my house computer. I work on the books and then backup to E mail and then update my truck laptop in the morning.

mngrassguy
02-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Ric

Is e-mail that secure? I'm not worried about some yahoo (pun) looking at my checkbook but my customer lists?

Ric
02-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Ric

Is e-mail that secure? I'm not worried about some yahoo (pun) looking at my checkbook but my customer lists?

MN

First understand these are zipped files that only the same program can open. Second only those who can crack your password can read your E mail. 3rd your computer is only as secure as the average hackers talent. If someone wants your information that bad they can get it right off your computer even if you don't E mail the file.

Now believe this or not. There is a dark side to the Internet and Russia crack sites where you can get the Registration code for any program. You can watch 1st run full length movie on your computer before they are shown at the Movie theater. You can get Bins for Direct TV so you never have to pay for any TV show or movie including special high priced pay per view. Any thing made by man can be cracked by man.

garydale
02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Go with QB Pro. It will help you with invoicing, billing and record keeping. etc.
Another great thing is you can run multible companys from it.

Puttinggreens
02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
MRKOSAR,

Back when I was self employed my accountant suggested I get another credit card to use just for business. It was still in my name but I only used it for business expenses. It really makes tracking your expenses much easier for you and your accountant.

mrkosar
02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
putting greens...so simple and i never even thought about that. i love getting more credit cards.

thanks

Ric
02-19-2009, 11:28 AM
MRKOSAR,

Back when I was self employed my accountant suggested I get another credit card to use just for business. It was still in my name but I only used it for business expenses. It really makes tracking your expenses much easier for you and your accountant.

Puttinggreen

I do the same thing only with a Debt Card. What I like about the debt cards is not having to remember the transaction. I just reconcile with the Bank On line each day and make the expense entry at that time. I don't have to wait for a end of month statement.

PS. My last Credit Card was canceled due to lack of use. Now having no Credit Card can be a small hassle if I wanted to rent a car in a strange city. But so far I have not missed having a Credit Card.