PDA

View Full Version : Kalinga?

grass4gas
02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
I know this has been talked about before, but apparantly I am spelling the word wrong, because it is not coming up in the search. Tried to google it with no luck.

Can someone shed some light on this weed, and point me in the right direction.

Jack

greendoctor
02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Oh,Kyllinga.spp. Also known as Cyperus brevifolius. The best controls for this weed are either Certainty or Dismiss. However, note that this weed becomes invasive in overwatered, poorly drained thinned turf. It will grow in shade. Long term management of this weed includes improving drainage, reducing irrigation, increasing light into the turf area and growing a tight, thick turf.

grass4gas
02-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Oh,Kyllinga.spp. Also known as Cyperus brevifolius. The best controls for this weed are either Certainty or Dismiss. However, note that this weed becomes invasive in overwatered, poorly drained thinned turf. It will grow in shade. Long term management of this weed includes improving drainage, reducing irrigation, increasing light into the turf area and growing a tight, thick turf.

Thanks for the reply, Greendoctor.

RAlmaroad
02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I've done a lot of test. Fragrant Green Kyllinga, a member of the sedge family, is best controlled with Dismiss. I have not had to use Certainty yet. Don't mow for about 3 days; apply your Dismiss at a very fine droplets rate and wait for three days or longer to mow again. Just watch it--it will begin to discolor then you can mow. Wait about two or three weeks and apply again. Lots of people mow too soon after application before the plant can use the target chemical. Like Greendoctor mentioned--on irrigation and drainage will help considerably.

quiet
02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
It's a PITA. Very persistant and hard to deal with in our poorly drained clay soils. Gotta catch it early. Haven't tried Dismiss yet, but Certainty, and Image will get it out if you hit it early enough. Otherwise I just get supression later in the year.

greendoctor - you and I seem to be among the very few who are fans of Image . . .

greendoctor
02-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Image and Certainty are all I have got, Dismiss is illegal in Hawaii. Turf tolerance to Image can be very marginal, even on actively growing labeled grasses. I have seen it really set back a lawn. That is one chemical that I will not use on a lawn that is not on my total management program. I get lots of calls to spray a lawn on a one time basis for kyllinga. That is what Certainty is for, because there is a lower risk of adverse reactions on a lawn that I do not know the management history of. On the other hand, Image is part of my set of tools to convert a lawn that is 50% weedy grasses to all zoysia or bermuda.

RAlmaroad
02-17-2009, 04:12 AM
Several years ago I discovered Image in the hose end applicator. Used it for a season. It is a wonderful product. Today I mix my own and still have great success with it. I like it for dollarweed especially. Works great on lots of other weeds and can't go wrong on warm season turf. However it must be watered in within a few days of application.