PDA

View Full Version : our 2009 television ad (30 seconds)

americanlawn
02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
I thought you guys would be interested in seeing our (new) ad. It was filmed in mid August 2008. Two guys were on vacation, but the rest are shown at the end. Yes....the old fart is me. :laugh:

I posted our old ad last summer so you guys could critique it (thank you). I forwarded your ideas to the TV station, and here's what they came up with. I kinda liked the old one better, but I'm no expert. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0FHLBhjr4g&feature=channel

Please keep in mind that thirty seconds isn't enough time to do it justice. This ad will air on 3 or 4 local TV stations from mid March through April. Costs range from $5 to $700 per spot depending. $700 for a 30 second spot on the six o'clock news on KCCI-TV. 3:00 a.m. = $10. KCCI-TV produced the ad (as usual), and they have a larger viewership than all other TV stations combined. It will air on KCCI-TV (CBS), KDSM-TV (FOX), and WHO-TV (NBC). TV reps will visit us later this week to nail down schedules & prices. It will probably be shown about 500 times by the end of April.

Feel free to respond with your thoughts. Again, I thank all who made suggestions on our old ad. (It can also be seen on youtube). Thanx :usflag:

kootoomootoo
02-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Is this something that would cost $20,000 total?

americanlawn
02-16-2009, 03:35 PM
We figure the total cost of our TV ads to be less than $7000.

BTW, the customer holding his wife's puppy is a retired Marine Corp officer who saw alot of action during the Viet Nam war. We asked him to do the testimonial cuz it tied in with our company name as well as our true respect for American Patriotism. :usflag: Viewers of the ad will never know this............but we do, and we will never forget the sacrifices made by those who risked (and lost) their lives for this Country. Some say this Country is going down the drain........these are people I want nothing to do with. God bless the USA!

QUOTE=kootoomootoo;2775152]Is this something that would cost $20,000 total?[/QUOTE]

billyc
02-16-2009, 03:53 PM
After watching that add, a lot of things about you are more clear.

kootoomootoo
02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
We figure the total cost of our TV ads to be less than $7000.

BTW, the customer holding his wife's puppy is a retired Marine Corp officer who saw alot of action during the Viet Nam war. We asked him to do the testimonial cuz it tied in with our company name as well as our true respect for American Patriotism. :usflag: Viewers of the ad will never know this............but we do, and we will never forget the sacrifices made by those who risked (and lost) their lives for this Country. Some say this Country is going down the drain........these are people I want nothing to do with. God bless the USA!

QUOTE=kootoomootoo;2775152]Is this something that would cost $20,000 total?[/QUOTE]

At $700 a spot when the news is on and with a $7000 budget how many times would you run it during the news...3 or 4>?
Just wondering what your strategy is to maximize air time.

americanlawn
02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks billyc - I'm just a guy trying to make a living. We butted heads in the past, but that was wrong, and I regret it. Z vs T, etc. I respect your opinions very much. Thanx for responding. Your Iowa bud, Larry :waving:

After watching that add, a lot of things about you are more clear.

americanlawn
02-16-2009, 04:28 PM
3 or 4 times is enough during the six o'clock news. The rest are aired during other times when the costs are less. Each station offers different plans. Usually they show us 3 different options per TV station. Then we chose.

At $700 a spot when the news is on and with a $7000 budget how many times would you run it during the news...3 or 4>?
Just wondering what your strategy is to maximize air time.[/QUOTE]

albhb3
02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
sorry but your hair kinda distracted me is that died or nat. thanks

americanlawn
02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
My wife said the same thing. I ended up getting a haircut the next day. BTW when I started with the "original" ChemLawn back in the late seventies, they told me I needed to cut my hair & shave my beard. My hair was down to my shoulders, and I had a full beard. So I shaved it off & cut my hair.

But to this day -- I'm still proud to be a "hippy". :laugh: Go figure. When one thinks they're 'old'...that's when life goes downhill.

If I did not have to rely on our business for an income, I would let my hair grow long -- very long. And I would be living in the Caribbean. That's my dream.

sorry but your hair kinda distracted me is that died or nat. thanks

albhb3
02-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Good video tho

jkranium
02-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Great Commercial, but you let your guys wear shortsand short sleeves?? I know plenty of employees that would love to work for you.

Whitey4
02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Larry, this works for me on several levels for many reasons.

The testimonial veteran is well spoken, beleivable and holding the dog... perfect. It says safe, reliable, quality lawn care. The background music is edgy enough without annoying any segment of the target market.

A clear message... local but professional. Large enough to be attentive, not so big as to lack in customer service. Pointing out how you are better than the competition without appearing aggresive is hard to do, but there is only so much you can do in 30 seconds.

Nothing was over done. I like it. I hope it works well for you. :usflag:

DUSTYCEDAR
02-16-2009, 05:29 PM
all you need is a cowboy hat and say howdy partner and i would have wet me pants.
great add hope it works we have done radio but never tv
well done but only 7 k budget spend more more more

grassman177
02-16-2009, 05:39 PM
i think it is pretty good, very informative and never stupid or boring. but what about PPE. your guys cant legally operate like that!!?? unless fert only!

americanlawn
02-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks dude -- The TV station did the best they could for a 30 second spot.

IMO it takes more than 30 seconds to do it justice. We could have run a full minute ad, but that would have cost 2X more. We spent $50,000 for our Yellow Page ads last year. Lot's of money spent. We are now analyzing how out advertising money is being spent.

UOTE=Whitey4;2775340]Larry, this works for me on several levels for many reasons.

The testimonial veteran is well spoken, believable and holding the dog... perfect. It says safe, reliable, quality lawn care. The background music is edgy enough without annoying any segment of the target market.

A clear message... local but professional. Large enough to be attentive, not so big as to lack in customer service. Pointing out how you are better than the competition without appearing aggressive is hard to do, but there is only so much you can do in 30 seconds.

Nothing was over done. I like it. I hope it works well for you. :usflag:[/QUOTE]

rcreech
02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Good job Larry!

Good to see ol' Mason out taking the T for a spin!

I also questioned the shorts while applying...but I am sure that most people wouldn't catch that!

humble1
02-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Hey Larry,

I have to say I personally like the ad last year over this one. I liked how the last one talked about not being a franchise and being an award winning company etc.

Looking at the new one there is no impression of a company that has been around the block and the old one did.

Did you track the new sales brought in from the last tv ads? Also have you thought about actually putting a special in the tv spot, something to get the guy off the couch to call. Like call now and we will give you X off your seasonal plan. Or something that will give them a reason to call and switch.

Perfect Image TLM
02-16-2009, 09:36 PM
I didn't see last year but I do like the ad. Most be awesome to grow your business to see it advertised on tv! How much did they charge you to actually make the commercial if you don't mind me asking?

spray master
02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Great commercial larry. With this tv spot and your sales rep. postion with turfco you should be able take a nice vaction this year. Do they send you the 1090 form at the end of the year?

mrkosar
02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
all you need is a cowboy hat and say howdy partner and i would have wet me pants.
great add hope it works we have done radio but never tv
well done but only 7 k budget spend more more more

did you find radio worth the money? how much did you spend?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-16-2009, 11:00 PM
I like it.
And now I can finally put a name with a face, Larry:)

RigglePLC
02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Great commerical Larry. Shorts? And some have blue pants and some gray--how come?
Myself I would have filmed it on a dark cloudy day. The grass really looks more green then. And you avoid the squinting in the sun effect. (The vereran and yourself.)

Study a couple of George Bush speeches. I think--next year if you use his style you can get a more emphatic and determined, "The one you can count on." statement. Excellent ad--I think it will do very well. Next year can you get that cute dog to look at the camera? And you left out the cute wife. A woman would help you with women and hold the men's attention better, too.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
02-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Great commercial larry. With this tv spot and your sales rep. postion with turfco you should be able take a nice vaction this year. Do they send you the 1090 form at the end of the year?

:laugh::laugh:

LawnTamer
02-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Larry, I liked this one better than last yr's. I did like the way last years talked about your company being local and award winning, but the customer talking about your company really works for me. Also, last yr's commercial, you showed that big JD boom rig, looks like you specialize in sports fields or something:laugh::laugh: The Turfcos look real nice on the lawns.

DLAWNS
02-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Awesome commercial, Larry. I would love to make a commercial. Soon enough...

grassman177
02-17-2009, 01:41 AM
i would hate to put that much hard earned money into a gamble though, you have a bigger service area that us, so i can see the reasons, but wow.

Real Green
02-17-2009, 09:15 AM

Do you get a 1090 for a bad attitude and insulting comments?

ted putnam
02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Great commercial LarryThumbs Up Just one question though...Who's the Dude that looks like "Joker" off of Batman but sounds like John Wayne? just kidding.

Ric
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Yo

First thing I will say is short sleeve work shirts are extremely common here in Fla. It is the most common PPE violation and very much overlooked by Ag inspectors. I only wear short sleeve shirt myself. No biggie IMHO.

This years commercial at least has green grass and that is a big improvement over last years better written commercial IMHO.

I have a lot of negative thoughts in general about this commercial. But I will keep those to myself.

rl53103
02-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I thought you guys would be interested in seeing our (new) ad. It was filmed in mid August 2008. Two guys were on vacation, but the rest are shown at the end. Yes....the old fart is me. :laugh:

I posted our old ad last summer so you guys could critique it (thank you). I forwarded your ideas to the TV station, and here's what they came up with. I kinda liked the old one better, but I'm no expert. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0FHLBhjr4g&feature=channel

Please keep in mind that thirty seconds isn't enough time to do it justice. This ad will air on 3 or 4 local TV stations from mid March through April. Costs range from $5 to $700 per spot depending. $700 for a 30 second spot on the six o'clock news on KCCI-TV. 3:00 a.m. = $10. KCCI-TV produced the ad (as usual), and they have a larger viewership than all other TV stations combined. It will air on KCCI-TV (CBS), KDSM-TV (FOX), and WHO-TV (NBC). TV reps will visit us later this week to nail down schedules & prices. It will probably be shown about 500 times by the end of April.

Feel free to respond with your thoughts. Again, I thank all who made suggestions on our old ad. (It can also be seen on youtube). Thanx :usflag:

Nice Commercial Gang

rl53103
02-17-2009, 01:04 PM
nice commercial team

grassman177
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
now that i loked at the old one, the old one is better, way better. i think a blend of the two would be good for the future. the customer speaking was a good idea, the other comments about your company was great in the new one. just my 2 cents

americanlawn
02-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Here's a link for our old commercial to make it easier to compare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMgc-qWc-JY

Personally I liked the old ad better than the new one. The words, the music, and the videos were all chosen by me.

With the new ad, all but the background music was chosen by KCCI-TV. Their sales lady was in today. She thought I did a better job too. Go figure, cuz I'm no expert. We both agreed that we will rotate the old ad with the new ad.

Cost to film? Don't know....the wife writes the checks. Often times the TV station will film & edit for free if you run enough ads. The station that puts the ad together has to provide a copy of the ad to any other station that wants it. (some kind of agreement that all stations have)

Cost re: radio vs TV. The cost is virtually the same for us. We compared WHO Radio (the state's largest) vs KCCI-TV (the state's largest). WHO Radio's signal reaches the entire state (even as far as Texas at night). But our market is just central Iowa. So it was a no brainer to use television.

I knew by posting our TV ads, I opened myself up for criticism (both good & bad), but that's okay. Never said I was perfect. :laugh: Gotta keep this very fine site interesting whenever we can. :waving:

grassman177
02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
good idea of rotating the adds. good comprimise. i would tell the tv place your distaste of their version and negotiate the price a litle of possible. i mean, your work on the first was much better than the so called professinal commercial guy

Perfect Image TLM
02-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Yea I like the idea of rotating them as well. The old one is my favriote of the two...

spray master
02-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Do you get a 1090 for a bad attitude and insulting comments?

No 1090 here. But I did just stay at:weightlifter::usflag: holiday inn express. Real green you are always giving me a hard time is there a reason for this? I was just asking a question and complimenting Larry on the tv spot.

Real Green
02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
No 1090 here. But I did just stay at:weightlifter::usflag: holiday inn express. Real green you are always giving me a hard time is there a reason for this? I was just asking a question and complimenting Larry on the tv spot.

Are you kidding me? :laugh: That is the first time I have ever quoted you or directly responded to you. I am not sure how that qualifies as always giving you a hard time. If you want to get into individuals always signaling others out giving them a hard time... let's talk about your track record with Larry. All you have to do is click view all of your posts. And finally, get real... the LAST thing you were doing was complimenting Larry. You know he's not a salesperson for Turfco. Face it spray master, you've been called out just as you’ve been doing to Larry and upon realization you’re embarrassed. It's ok though; there are plenty of opportunities for you to redeem yourself! :)

DLCS
02-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I like the old commercial better, seems to grab my attention more. I'd tell the radio station to mix it up and run both commercials or just run last year's commercial instead. Just my .02

ted putnam
02-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Not trying to down you Larry but when the Chemlawn franchise I worked for finally went independent they came up with a pretty decent TV ad campaign. They played it at news times(6&10) and also when there were golf tournaments on TV on the weekends and other selected times. They just didn't seem to have much luck with it. It may work better for you in your area. Never know til you try. Good Luck

Whitey4
02-18-2009, 02:42 AM
I think both ads are good. I think we as applicators have a somewhat biased eye when judging things like this. The second one is more Mom and apple pie, but it may actually be more effective in the eyes of the general public, the target market. The first one is big on equipment... stuff we like! We aren't the target market.

Rotataing the ads is I think a very good idea. They both close with your signature motto, and that helps increase the repetitiveness needed to make people remember. It ties both commercials together. This is the next best thing to doing 60 second spots. Both ads do something a little different.

Your small city market is great for this, and it fits your ad budget. People already recognise you from the old ad, so you know it's working. Do you have any way to tarck how many leads the ads generate?

Grandview
02-18-2009, 06:43 AM
I have not read all the post. Just watched it. To me an applicator in shorts looks unprofessional. Do your guys actually spray in shorts?

Grandview
02-18-2009, 09:42 AM
The content and presentation of the ad I thought was good. I would run the ad past non lawn care people and see what they think. See what the target audience thinks.

RigglePLC
02-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Great ad Larry. :)Mason looks good, but I would like it better if he went slower--and used a hand spreader. He MUST appear to be extra careful in his application technique. Make him look carefully to be certain he is covering the edges exactly. Don't let him look at the camera. To the consumer the T-3000 looks like a too-fast lawn mower--less than one percent will realize he is spreading fert. AND you don't even mention how you take care of the four enemies of Des Moines lawns: weeds, crabgrass, grubs and baking heat.

Next year, think like a Cecille B. Demille epic starring Arnold Schwarznager. LOL! The four enemies could be reperesented by masked horsemen (one has a grub mask) galloping across the lawn, scattering weed seed and scareing the wife, dog and kids inside, (with blood curdling screams). Then Arnold (you) to the rescue, spray the grass and the horsemen wheel and run for their lives. Evil vanquished, American family preserved. Goergeous wife hugs you. Cast of thousands (computer generated) cheer. Mason has a horse, right?
http://www.british-israel.ca/four.htm

And Whitey is right--you need a way to track the results--success or failure of the ad.

If you need to increase the drama, have the black-hooded horseman whose horse's sign says "Baking heat" start the lawn on fire with a torch or flame thrower. (If customer objects, use 30 foot high computer-generated flames.) When the sprinklers come on--"Hiss"--extinguished and the lawn is green again. :laugh:

elite lawns
02-22-2009, 12:26 AM
look good best of luck

RigglePLC
02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
And here is the Horseman "Baking Heat". He had to dismount, LOL!