PDA

View Full Version : Looking to go Part-time

Black95gt
02-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi all. Im looking at going at this part time (nights and weekends). My goal is to make roughly $200-$300 a week whether im doing 2 accounts or 10 accounts. I really dont need to buy anything to start out as i have a blower/Vacuum, trimmer, small tiller that can be adjusted to an edger and a 1 year old Toro walk behind mower and a 4'x8' golf cart trailer. I also have access to my dads riding lawn mower (tractor style). So i am pretty well taken care of there and if i get to the point, i could look at getting the bigger walk behinds. Anyways, i am looking at doing this a couple nights per week and a partial day on Sat/Sun. I am not going to carry any business insurance at this time, but if i feel the need, i could possibly do it later. For the times that i have availabel to do this, residential is probably not going to work the best as most people probably dont want to hear the mower going in the evening when they are trying to relax after work. So i am probably going to focus on smaller commercial accounts, like the McDonalds, strip malls with islands ect. Im not looking to spend any money on advertising other than printing up some fliars and mailing to properties that i would be interested in obtaining. I will also run an add on craigslist as well as in the newspaper for a month or two. What is the best way to get these accounts? Do i call them and just ask to put a weekly bid for their lawn maintanence? Or would it be better to send a flyer to them, and if so, should i already have my bid to them? Any suggestions or comments would be great. Like i said, this is just to make some extra money and more/less give me somthing to do . Thanks

nobagger
02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
OMG, is it that time of year again?:laugh: All I can say is dont waste your time with your well thought out business plan. "no insurance" and you want to do commercial accounts? Good luck with that. This post just proves you have no clue as to what your getting yourself into. I don't know of ANY commercial business that won't require you to carry at least 1,000,000 worth of liability coverage. You just cant walk into places like McDonald's and "throw in a bid". You will need general liability, worker's comp. insurance to start. I don't know how old (I'm guessing high school) but do your self a favor, quite while you ahead and leave it to the professional's or go to work for a legit, professional company. Its not as easy as throwing Dad's mower and trimmer into the ol' truck and BAM! your a landscaper. Sorry to be so harsh but in reality it's the truth.

Hoots
02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
There are too many issues to really go into detail.

I would recommend working the nights and weekends at McDonalds or delivering pizzas.

CLARK LAWN
02-16-2009, 03:18 PM
thanks NOBAGGER i was about to say the same thing. at 200 a week how many weeks is it going to take you to pay for the 5X12 window that you threw a rock through while trimming?

Black95gt
02-16-2009, 03:51 PM
OMG, is it that time of year again?:laugh: All I can say is dont waste your time with your well thought out business plan. "no insurance" and you want to do commercial accounts? Good luck with that. This post just proves you have no clue as to what your getting yourself into. I don't know of ANY commercial business that won't require you to carry at least 1,000,000 worth of liability coverage. You just cant walk into places like McDonald's and "throw in a bid". You will need general liability, worker's comp. insurance to start. I don't know how old (I'm guessing high school) but do your self a favor, quite while you ahead and leave it to the professional's or go to work for a legit, professional company. Its not as easy as throwing Dad's mower and trimmer into the ol' truck and BAM! your a landscaper. Sorry to be so harsh but in reality it's the truth.

I think your response was a tad bit uncalled for. If i cant do commercial accounts without liability insurance, then yes i will have to rethink this process, as it would not be worth it to spend $1500 or whatever it costs to carry liability for the amount of work i would like to do. As i stated, i have what i need to go cut grass (for small push mower type jobs) as it doesnt take a genius and a Masters degree to run a small lawn business. I would be willing to bet that 75% of all the small companies that first started their lawn care business started without insurance and looking at some of the companies driving around, im guessing they dont have it either. But you made some valid points in there and i appreciate that and thats why i asked the questions. But also in some cases, it is as easy as putting an ad in the paper and having a couple people call you, throw the mower in the truck and Bam, i am making money cutting grass. All I am trying to do is get a handfull of accounts to make a few bucks this summer and wanted to know a few things to help me get the ball rolling. Not some discouraging remark to tell me not to persue something.

CLARK LAWN
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
his post is because evry year about this time everybody and their brother is going out to just get a handful to make a little extra cash, most of you have NO idea what you are getting into. my GL costs me about 500 a year but i guess you would rather roll the dice on a what if happens.
What happens is you are all gung ho right now, come july and august when it nice and hot most of you quit showing up. it makes us all look bad.
check the laws in your area you may need a license to operate and you will probably have to collect sales tax. Also be sure to claim what you make on your taxes at the end of the year. at 200 bucks a week figure 20-30 for fuel and about 70 for taxes so that leaves you with 100 bucks. do you really want to go out and bust your rear for a lousy 100 bucks a week? thats if nothing breaks down or gets damaged.

Black95gt
02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
his post is because evry year about this time everybody and their brother is going out to just get a handful to make a little extra cash, most of you have NO idea what you are getting into. my GL costs me about 500 a year but i guess you would rather roll the dice on a what if happens.
What happens is you are all gung ho right now, come july and august when it nice and hot most of you quit showing up. it makes us all look bad.
check the laws in your area you may need a license to operate and you will probably have to collect sales tax. Also be sure to claim what you make on your taxes at the end of the year. at 200 bucks a week figure 20-30 for fuel and about 70 for taxes so that leaves you with 100 bucks. do you really want to go out and bust your rear for a lousy 100 bucks a week? thats if nothing breaks down or gets damaged.

I know around here we dont collect sales tax on services. But i will re-check that as we dont collect tax in the engineering profession in this area. I am aware of how hot and humid it gets and i know its not fun sometimes. I have 3 rentals that i mow right now after work. I am a Land Surveyor so i work out in the scorching heat in weeds up to my chest being invaded by ticks, spiders and mosquitos, usually in a ravine with no air movement so no, the elements are not a problem at all. But to answer your question a lousy $100 a week amounts to $400 extra per month which will go a long way in this economy. I as well can look at GL and if it is only a few hundred bucks, then maybe i'll go ahead with it.

RollTide11
02-16-2009, 06:07 PM
I didn't even bother to read the other responses but I'm sure I'll be repeating what ya'll have already said. Look man, back when I was just starting out and only cutting family members yards I still had insurance. These companies will not even let you put in a bid without proof of lisc. and insurance. And how are you going to cut grass in the dark come on.:hammerhead:

MileHigh
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM

This right here my friends.....

IS JUST THE PLAIN OLE TRUTH....

MileHigh
02-16-2009, 06:22 PM
I think your response was a tad bit uncalled for. If i cant do commercial accounts without liability insurance, then yes i will have to rethink this process, as it would not be worth it to spend $1500 or whatever it costs to carry liability for the amount of work i would like to do. As i stated, i have what i need to go cut grass (for small push mower type jobs) as it doesnt take a genius and a Masters degree to run a small lawn business. I would be willing to bet that 75% of all the small companies that first started their lawn care business started without insurance and looking at some of the companies driving around, im guessing they dont have it either. But you made some valid points in there and i appreciate that and thats why i asked the questions. But also in some cases, it is as easy as putting an ad in the paper and having a couple people call you, throw the mower in the truck and Bam, i am making money cutting grass. All I am trying to do is get a handfull of accounts to make a few bucks this summer and wanted to know a few things to help me get the ball rolling. Not some discouraging remark to tell me not to persue something.

Looks like we have an illegitimate non insured lowballer in the making taking food from our kids mouths....lol

CLARK LAWN
02-16-2009, 08:23 PM
I know around here we dont collect sales tax on services. But i will re-check that as we dont collect tax in the engineering profession in this area. I am aware of how hot and humid it gets and i know its not fun sometimes. I have 3 rentals that i mow right now after work. I am a Land Surveyor so i work out in the scorching heat in weeds up to my chest being invaded by ticks, spiders and mosquitos, usually in a ravine with no air movement so no, the elements are not a problem at all. But to answer your question a lousy $100 a week amounts to $400 extra per month which will go a long way in this economy. I as well can look at GL and if it is only a few hundred bucks, then maybe i'll go ahead with it.

if my goal was an extra 400 a month i think i would go work at wal-mart. like i said 100 if nothing breaks down, chances are since you are using homeowner grade equipment it will. i hope you dont own a house or have anything of value since your so dead set against insurance they wont have aything to take when you get sued because you damaged something and didnt have the cash to pay for it. a friend of mine had a rock go through a window and hit a 4000 dollar TV. new window and tv was over 8K

ed2hess
02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Just go put our some handouts and cut away. Nothing upsets the lawnsite more than somebody announcing they aren't going to buy insurance. I sometimes think everybody on this site sells insurance and Stihl BR600 blowers. Please don't tell them if you are going to run a cash business.

Black95gt
02-17-2009, 09:17 AM
well since i guess i cant get any help from the so called "Professionals" in the business, i guess i'll have to figure it out on my own. Thanks guys

capnsac
02-17-2009, 03:59 PM
well since i guess i cant get any help from the so called "Professionals" in the business, i guess i'll have to figure it out on my own. Thanks guys

This is why our profession is ranked 2nd lowest, only to be beaten by...bum bum bummmmmm, painters! :clapping:

CLARK LAWN
02-17-2009, 04:34 PM
people were trying to help you out it is just not what you wanted to hear. welcome to realality

Geo2199
02-17-2009, 05:57 PM

Don't let the criticism get you down. just stay focused and determined. For everyone person who shoots you down it should be your motivation to try that much harder. But insurance is definatly a must you should look into. And also commercial grade equipment (trust me, found out the hard way with break downs). It gets very difficult and some days it seems like nothing will ever go right. just keep in mine to treat your customers as good as you can and don't let the job get to you. And I'm basically starting off from scratch myself (opened in 2007 but been cutting grass my whole life) just like you but 2008 was such a bad year to expand and get customers when people were losing houses left and right and gas was $4 a gallon. But as long as you don't give up and let these people discourage you could turn this into your full time job making more than your surveying job.

nobagger
02-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Oh BOO HOO! Some times the truth is hard to take. BUT....you got good advise. I cant speak for every one on here but we started out the right way, insurance, commercial equipment (not that you need to start with com. equip.) We did some research about the business and what we needed start and in long term, not "rocket science" just common sense stuff. Yes I do take offense to some guys (like you) that just think that you can throw a mower in a truck and go mow anything! Yes I take offense that you thought or think its just that easy! Yes I also take offense that guys who do it "your way" are taking food from my table. So that being said I wont appologize, so if I offended you, too bad.

Big C
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Looks like you got it all figured out to me..:confused:;):dizzy:...these guys are trying to give you advice but, because it is not what you want to hear you are calling it B.S.....Go out and learn the hard way!!:waving::waving:

Black95gt
02-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Looks like you got it all figured out to me..:confused:;):dizzy:...these guys are trying to give you advice but, because it is not what you want to hear you are calling it B.S.....Go out and learn the hard way!!:waving::waving:
No actually they are not trying to give me advice. They are trying to get me to give up the idea. The advice i have gotten about insurance has been good and to not to go after Commercial accounts without it is the stuff i needed and wanted to hear. But to tell me to go work at Mcdonalds or some crap is B.S. and not what this site is supposed to be about. Then to have these people tell me im going to take food off your table? whats that supposed to mean? Am i going to go out and lowball? Hell no. I will be going at $20 min per yard and will be trying to make between $35-$40/hr before deductions. If i take business away from you, then great for me. Its called competition. If you dont like competition, go work at Walmart. And yes i do realize what the difference between home grade and commercial equipment is and if i ever decide to go at it full time i will buy that stuff. But to do 10-15 hours of work per/week the first summer i dont need the expensevie stuff. After this summer if i decide to continue doing it, i probabably will invest in some commercial grade equipment as i will need things for tax write-offs. Im not just some guy throwing a mower in the back of the truck. I have got most of my ducks lined up, just not in a straight line. I have a couple months to get it done though. And for what its worth, i have a call into my insurance guy to get an insurance quote. If i can get er done for $200-$300 bucks (300,000) i will definitly do it.

Reliable Lawn Care
02-18-2009, 04:57 PM
My company insurance is $ 350.00 per year. 1,000,000. Easily affordable for the piece of mind. You admit that your ducks are lined up, but just not in a row. Good start and if may say, I believe the right info has come out thru the post, after the initial post you put up. Your delivery / wording is what needed changing, but with all the arguing going on, it looks as if you are learning what you need to get going in the business. Good Luck

Geo2199
02-18-2009, 05:05 PM
My company insurance is $ 350.00 per year. 1,000,000. Easily affordable for the piece of mind. You admit that your ducks are lined up, but just not in a row. Good start and if may say, I believe the right info has come out thru the post, after the initial post you put up. Your delivery / wording is what needed changing, but with all the arguing going on, it looks as if you are learning what you need to get going in the business. Good Luck

thats' a pretty good rate. who are you insured with?

punt66
02-18-2009, 05:44 PM
No actually they are not trying to give me advice. They are trying to get me to give up the idea. The advice i have gotten about insurance has been good and to not to go after Commercial accounts without it is the stuff i needed and wanted to hear. But to tell me to go work at Mcdonalds or some crap is B.S. and not what this site is supposed to be about. Then to have these people tell me im going to take food off your table? whats that supposed to mean? Am i going to go out and lowball? Hell no. I will be going at $20 min per yard and will be trying to make between $35-$40/hr before deductions. If i take business away from you, then great for me. Its called competition. If you dont like competition, go work at Walmart. And yes i do realize what the difference between home grade and commercial equipment is and if i ever decide to go at it full time i will buy that stuff. But to do 10-15 hours of work per/week the first summer i dont need the expensevie stuff. After this summer if i decide to continue doing it, i probabably will invest in some commercial grade equipment as i will need things for tax write-offs. Im not just some guy throwing a mower in the back of the truck. I have got most of my ducks lined up, just not in a straight line. I have a couple months to get it done though. And for what its worth, i have a call into my insurance guy to get an insurance quote. If i can get er done for $200-$300 bucks (300,000) i will definitly do it.

The numbers you just posted are lowballers numbers. At least in my area. When you take your expenses out of that $40 an hour you will be suprised with what you walk away with. If you run an illegitamate business you dont become competition, you are then stealing from us by not being on the sa,e playing field. Do you get it now? If i were to only charge $40 hr i would close my doors and i am solo. Also when your using homeowner eqiupment you will be lucky to be half as effecient as for example ME who runs a ztr. So your hourly rate will be even lower. I know you think you have it all figured out but you dont. A 30 min lawn on my Z is an hour for you. So your now down to $30 or less an hour. Good luck.

Black95gt
02-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Punt, no they are not lowball numbers. I know what the going rate is around here. I have 4 properties that i got 3 quotes for mowing all of them. All take about half hour to 45 minutes to mow. The quotes came $100, $100, and $120. So yes maybe in Conn. they are lowball numbers and maybe $40/hr wont work for you, but in Nebraska in my area they are not low ball numbers and $40/hr minus expenses works for me as a part time job.

punt66
02-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Ok so if each property takes 30 min. thats 1.5 hours at $40hr = $60.00 heir quotes were $100-120. Your not lowballing? Honestly, learn the business and how to quote before diving in and contributing to the downfall of the industry. Our prices are too low as it is because of lowballers.

capnsac
02-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Punt, no they are not lowball numbers. I know what the going rate is around here. I have 4 properties that i got 3 quotes for mowing all of them. All take about half hour to 45 minutes to mow. The quotes came $100, $100, and $120. So yes maybe in Conn. they are lowball numbers and maybe $40/hr wont work for you, but in Nebraska in my area they are not low ball numbers and $40/hr minus expenses works for me as a part time job.

Take it from one who lives in Omaha, NE - your numbers are low. That's the easiest way I can put it. I don't know why you settle for what 'works' when you can get a lot more. I make on average $80 an hour, 40 hours a week minimum. Now if I was to settle for 50% of that then I'd be dicking myself and others, and the best part of it all is I would think that this is what 'works' for my area because I didn't know any better. When all you're doing is dicking yourself.

Sorry to be trite, but I want you to know there is much more than the 'what works' plan. You will then find that the caliber of your customers improves also. The customer wants you there instead of you being there to save them money. That's their first inclination when they see a low price, I can save money. The thought of quality is second to that first thought whereas you want it the other way around.

Hope this helps.

Black95gt
02-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Maybe im not explaining or wording myself right, but i said $20-$25 minimum per account/yard. Lets see here...my 4 properties were quoted at $100. $100/4 = $25 per yard which is right at what i will be charging. So if i can do 2 properties in an hour at $25 each, that is $50/hr. An extra $10/hr extra. But i might go to another job that takes an hour to do and only be able to give them a quote of $35 to be competitive because there are people like you that have a $5000 ZTR and can do it in a half hour causing me to lose the $5/hour. So when it all averages itself out i would be making $40/hr.

Black95gt
02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Capnsac, there is going to be a difference between SSC and Omaha. I lived in Omaha for 6 years and the price of living is higher along with wages. I took a $4/hr paycut when i moved back to South Sioux. Im not sure what you charge for the average lawn, but when most of the people around here charge $25 for an average lawn, you have to be able to compete with that price if you want to get the work. Ive got a single 21" mower that i hope to be able to upgrade to a 32" or 36" mower later in the summer or by next year. There is no way i can make $80/hr with what i have. I'd have to charge $40 per yard where the market is at $25. I'd never get any jobs unless i was the only person they called. I have no overhead, equipment or truck payments. I will only have insurance (im going to go that route now), maintanence, and gas expenses. i have a computer, quickbooks pro, all the hand tools in the world, blade sharpening equipment and whatnot. I could sure go out and buy a nice ZTR but with that comes a new trailer, and with that comes DOT registration. I cant do all that only working 10-15 hours a week and thats all i want to do.

capnsac
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Capnsac, there is going to be a difference between SSC and Omaha. I lived in Omaha for 6 years and the price of living is higher along with wages. I took a $4/hr paycut when i moved back to South Sioux. Im not sure what you charge for the average lawn, but when most of the people around here charge $25 for an average lawn, you have to be able to compete with that price if you want to get the work. Ive got a single 21" mower that i hope to be able to upgrade to a 32" or 36" mower later in the summer or by next year. There is no way i can make $80/hr with what i have. I'd have to charge $40 per yard where the market is at $25. I'd never get any jobs unless i was the only person they called. I have no overhead, equipment or truck payments. I will only have insurance (im going to go that route now), maintanence, and gas expenses. i have a computer, quickbooks pro, all the hand tools in the world, blade sharpening equipment and whatnot. I could sure go out and buy a nice ZTR but with that comes a new trailer, and with that comes DOT registration. I cant do all that only working 10-15 hours a week and thats all i want to do.

DOT registration is free, goto http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/online-registration/onlineregdescription.htm

Besides that though, try it out for a year with your insurance and see how you like it. You might love it, you might hate it, but at least you'll be making some money doing it. You can decide after that if you want to get a ZTR and more equipment and maybe step into the full time arena or just keep doing it for beer money. No worries either way.

Black95gt
02-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks Capnsac,
Yeah i'll give it a shot this summer and see what happens and how it all goes. I wouldnt ever go full time at this as I am very close to becoming a Licensed Surveyor and i plan on continuing to do that full-time and possibly go out on my in that field. But if i ever get to the point where i am turning down a lot of work i would consider hiring a crew full time. Thats obviously years down the road, but it could happen.

capnsac
02-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks Capnsac,
Yeah i'll give it a shot this summer and see what happens and how it all goes. I wouldnt ever go full time at this as I am very close to becoming a Licensed Surveyor and i plan on continuing to do that full-time and possibly go out on my in that field. But if i ever get to the point where i am turning down a lot of work i would consider hiring a crew full time. Thats obviously years down the road, but it could happen.

You can always be diversified. Getting a mowing business up and running isn't "easy" but it easier than most other professions out there. Besides, if you get your margins right you can make a lot of money doing this, especially the side jobs. Than you can do surveying full-time and have your own crew out doing the other stuff. Living the dream :cool2:

Black95gt
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM
absolutely. It would be 5-10 years before i went on my own surveying if ever, but not unrealistic to have a full-time crew working for me on a side business. That would definitly be great for me.

Alpha Property
02-19-2009, 04:14 PM
theres a thread in this section started by Pro Cuts, its called "how to fail in the landscaping business by someone who did" it was started yesterday and is already up to 14 pages? now he's talking big, but alot of it still applies to a super small guy, to know your costs and manage everything. Unfortunately as humans we dream, and 99% of us dream big, hell i do it to, i'm sitting here waiting for snow daydreaming about hitting 100 accounts this coming season, day dreaming about playing with my new mower, day dreaming about having gob's of money and a new truck and a house, maybe a boat or a motorcycle. we all want extra cash, and cutting grass is a great way to get it when you first look at it, and when your cutting 4 or 5 lawns a week for cash its great, it seams like you all of a sudden have money in your pocket and all is great, hell $100 a week cash is a great bonus, your out on your own, no one standing over you, but its not until you start getting more and more customers and actually start adding everything up, and then subtracting everything back out that you see how quickly your profit margin shrinks. To do any more that that small hand full of lawns at $25 a pop one or two nights a week, it really isn't worth it unless your going to make a full time go of it. Go find yourself a few old widowed lady's with big wallets and go cut the grass, stay and visit for a little bit, shoot the ****, have a pop or a water with them, take 20min to cut the grass and another 20 to visit every week, they'll appreciate you so much more, they'll ask you to do piles of extras for extra money, change a light bulb, cary something heavy, what ever.
You'll be a lot happier in the long run than trying to get 20-25 lawns with an assistant to be able to do them in such short time frames, rushing around paying everything else and making part time job money with business owner headaches

Black95gt
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
i will take a look at that thread. I am contemplating doing, what im going to call "full property services" offering the basic handyman and small remodeling services as well. I wont be using the word handyman if i do it as it sounds like some Joe that cant make it in the construction industry. With this i would be getting insured as it would be worth it since i could do it all year round. i love doing remodels, but i have run out of things to remodel in my house and would have to start remodeling the remodels. lol

Reliable Lawn Care
02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
thats' a pretty good rate. who are you insured with?

American Family Insurance

George Mason
02-21-2009, 02:43 AM
There is an old saying, that says just let a sleeping dog lie. Let's go with that one here. Just my 2 cents, not that we need more advice here or better yet, that I need to be the one providing it. :laugh:

Grits
02-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Oh BOO HOO! Some times the truth is hard to take. BUT....you got good advise. I cant speak for every one on here but we started out the right way, insurance, commercial equipment (not that you need to start with com. equip.) We did some research about the business and what we needed start and in long term, not "rocket science" just common sense stuff. Yes I do take offense to some guys (like you) that just think that you can throw a mower in a truck and go mow anything! Yes I take offense that you thought or think its just that easy! Yes I also take offense that guys who do it "your way" are taking food from my table. So that being said I wont appologize, so if I offended you, too bad.

Nobagger, this is why I have always liked you.

Big C
02-21-2009, 03:47 PM
The numbers you just posted are lowballers numbers. At least in my area. When you take your expenses out of that $40 an hour you will be suprised with what you walk away with. If you run an illegitamate business you dont become competition, you are then stealing from us by not being on the sa,e playing field. Do you get it now? If i were to only charge $40 hr i would close my doors and i am solo. Also when your using homeowner eqiupment you will be lucky to be half as effecient as for example ME who runs a ztr. So your hourly rate will be even lower. I know you think you have it all figured out but you dont. A 30 min lawn on my Z is an hour for you. So your now down to $30 or less an hour. Good luck.

Thank-you for making very valid points

Big C
02-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Maybe im not explaining or wording myself right, but i said $20-$25 minimum per account/yard. Lets see here...my 4 properties were quoted at $100. $100/4 = $25 per yard which is right at what i will be charging. So if i can do 2 properties in an hour at $25 each, that is $50/hr. An extra $10/hr extra. But i might go to another job that takes an hour to do and only be able to give them a quote of $35 to be competitive because there are people like you that have a $5000 ZTR and can do it in a half hour causing me to lose the $5/hour. So when it all averages itself out i would be making $40/hr.

This is the quote of the year^^^^ "But i might go to another job that takes an hour to do and only be able to give them a quote of $35 to be competitive because there are people like you that have a $5000 ZTR and can do it in a half hour causing me to lose the $5/hour."....oh so you are blaming the pros for having professional equipment and costing you money..:nono:..:dizzy:..:confused:...;)...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Black95gt
02-21-2009, 09:21 PM
im not blaming anybody for anything. Its all part of the business. But what i'd like to know is; What constitutes you or anybody else to be a "Pro"? Do you have to go take a test or something to become a Pro?

But anyways, for all you that want to bash me and tell me that im not going to succeed and what not. I gotta ask you. What do i really have to lose? Im going to pay the $300 or so and go ahead with the insurance. But other than that, i have my equipment, i have my plan and all i did was come here to ask how you all approach a potential client to place a bid. The most i can possibly stem to lose is $500 and it wont be that much as i wouldnt purchase insurance until i have at least a couple of accounts.

punt66
02-22-2009, 08:31 AM
im not blaming anybody for anything. Its all part of the business. But what i'd like to know is; What constitutes you or anybody else to be a "Pro"? Do you have to go take a test or something to become a Pro?

But anyways, for all you that want to bash me and tell me that im not going to succeed and what not. I gotta ask you. What do i really have to lose? Im going to pay the $300 or so and go ahead with the insurance. But other than that, i have my equipment, i have my plan and all i did was come here to ask how you all approach a potential client to place a bid. The most i can possibly stem to lose is $500 and it wont be that much as i wouldnt purchase insurance until i have at least a couple of accounts.

Thats an easy one. You going to file your taxes? What happens after you cut for a month and all your junk eqipment dies? Are you going to buy more junk equipment? Or commercial stuff that costs triple? How are you going to pay for it cutting lawns at $25? Will you have business auto insurance? Because if you get into an accident and the insurance company will not cover it if your using it to make money. That is different then your general liability. Now you want to be a handy man? Do you have a home improvement lic? Do you know your local codes? Do you really need to know how you can fail? The mere fact that you think you cant fail suggests your not ready. You need to focus your business and market it. You need to have all your ducks in a row with proper equipment and know how. With your plan you will struggle. You sound like my 15 year old cousin who thinks he knows everything and ended up living in a tent.

You want to know wht makes us Pro's? Let me see. Experience. Know how. Proper equipment. Proper insurances. Filing of taxes. Licenses. And in my case 62 very happy customers. To top that off i never claim to know everything while asking for advice. People on here are giving you valuable advice to which your not heading. So good luck.

George Mason
02-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Living in a tent - I almost lost my coffee when I read that line.:laugh:

I feel like that's where I'm headed sometimes. I'm sure many of us might think of that as not being all that bad if it were deep in the forest with a sat. tv, some books, and a mountain woman.

richonsa
02-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey man, Just go out and start mowing some lawns. I wish you well. You will learn by trial and error. Get the insurance and necessary licenses, form an LLC, contribute all of your equipment to it, depreciate it under MACRS or take a sec 179 deduction for it. Then, cut grass and treat people right. It isn't rocket science. The barriers to entry are pretty low. Anyone can cut grass; only those who treat people right and work hard will succeed.

Ric

ED'S LAWNCARE
02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey man, Just go out and start mowing some lawns. I wish you well. You will learn by trial and error. Get the insurance and necessary licenses, form an LLC, contribute all of your equipment to it, depreciate it under MACRS or take a sec 179 deduction for it. Then, cut grass and treat people right. It isn't rocket science. The barriers to entry are pretty low. Anyone can cut grass; only those who treat people right and work hard will succeed.

Ric

Amen to that.

Black95gt
02-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks Ric. you are right in the fact that it isnt rocket science. Im ready to go out and start mowing. I just need my few accounts and for the grass to start growing. I get along with people well. If the first year goes well, i would look at doing an LLC or corporation for next, but this year i'll just be doing a DBA.

capnsac
02-22-2009, 08:30 PM

Ric

If I may add to that, with everything you do find humility in it. Be able to laugh and move on, you will grow to be a better person and a better business because of it. Since you are your business, your business will only be as good as you are.

resurectionlawn
02-22-2009, 09:24 PM
LOOK I AM ONLY 15,so i will try to break it down a little easier for you,you may think that just because you are only mowing lawns you dont need any insurance but what if break a window or something then that 200 dollars that you make a week is not 200 dollars anymore at least not in your pockets,and even know you are going to be mowing a small amount of yards try to save your money and buy some commercial equipment or dont waster your time and dont take it hard but the fellas were just telling you the truth before you experience for yourself.GOOD LUCK