PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen magnum question

wcb607a
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
What have you guys done to prevent the open/shut off bar from bouncing around and keep closing the hopper a little? I just wonder why the company didn't put a spring at the bottom of the hopper like the lesco push spreader.

Runner
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Do you mean during transport? I found that lowering handlebars helps prevent this. My friend's tech put's an elastic bungee cord around the bar (short one) and wraps it before transporting.

lawntennis
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I would love a good answer to this also. I end up driving around keeping it pushed out with my thumb. There has to be a better way.

VARMIT COMMISSION
02-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I also have to keep my thumb on it. It's a PITA.

Jason Rose
02-16-2009, 08:17 PM
I believe you can adjust the friction on that so it will hold itself open or closed better.

On really rough ground I just keep a thumb either on it pushing it forwards or just give it a bump once in a while to be sure it's open 100% on a long run.

For transport I use a bungee as well, a longer one, hook it to the hopper lever, over the handle and then back and down the backside of the spray tank, hooked the other end to the frame under the tank. There's really no reason for where I hook it other than the length, and it works good for me. I *had* a neat little velcro cord holder type deal I'd use, but then I'd forget to remove it and fold the handle back to pull it off the trailer. Snapped a couple of them in half, so I went with the bungee, it can survive me folding down the handle with it on there, lol.

MStine315
02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks to Ross (spreadnspray) I think I have mine cured. Spring will tell for sure, but... check your handlebars where the 2 "tabs" attach(for lack of a better term). There are pan head screws through the tab and handlebar and this is what pivots when you let your handlebars up or down. Anyway, I replaced the screws and used loctite, and, added flatwashers on the outsides of the handlebars. The original assembly did not include the washers. It seems much more stable now. You can tighten these screws up pretty firm and still get the handlebars to go up and down while the screws stay tight. I know...poor description, but maybe I'll get some pics tomm. FWIW, of all the magnum design flaws, this is my biggest pet peeve-it won't stay shut and won't stay open?

VARMIT COMMISSION
02-16-2009, 10:30 PM
I have pulled up to my next yard only to find the hopper empty and several bags of expensive fertilizer sitting in the floor of the trailer. Half of it blown away or fallen between the slats in floor of trailer. It took me several times of this happening to remember to bungee it closed.

Jason Rose
02-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I have pulled up to my next yard only to find the hopper empty and several bags of expensive fertilizer sitting in the floor of the trailer. Half of it blown away or fallen between the slats in floor of trailer. It took me several times of this happening to remember to bungee it closed.

Well that was a stupid thing to do! What were you thinking??? :laugh:

I've never done that before. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, been there, done that. scooped up what fert I could with my hands and tossed it into the hopper. :hammerhead:

Runner
02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah,..atleast you had it to pick up off the trailer floor (been ther, done that). It's REALLY cool when you have it on the PG rack, and arrive to the next job to find nearly 2 bags of fert w/ Dimension or fert w/ something like Merit gone.:hammerhead::cry:

bj22
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Leave a zip tie that just fits over hopper lever and handlebars.

wcb607a
02-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I do not have a problem with transporting, but its when doing the granular apps the hopper closes a bit and less fert is applied. I guess a bungee or a zip tie will do the trick

redbuckcavs
02-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Mstine315

Did you get a chance to take a picture of yout explanation? I have the same problem!!! I have to keep my thumb on the stupid lever to keep the shut off plate to stay open.

thanks in advance

MStine315
02-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Sorry for the delay guys. Here's some pics. Hopefully they'll help describe what my previous post was talking about. All credit to Ross (Spreadnspray) for this tip. What he originally told me was to replace the screws, locknuts, and washers with new, and use loctite. What I found was that my machine had never had washers. I don't know if this caused the problem in the first place, but it works much better now. When we would tighten these screws before, they were either so tight that the handles wouldn't lower, or too loose so the lever was sloppy. There was no happy medium. With the flat washers you can crank them down good and snug and the handlebars still move.

Jason Rose
02-28-2009, 12:21 PM
You would think there would be friction washers in there... Not sure if that's what they are called or not though... They are usually thin, and like made of hardened/spring steel. They are bent a little so they are arched, some are bent a couple directions so they look 'wavy'. You use 2 or 3 of them together. Then use a nyloc nut on the bolt to hold the position, or tension, you want on the lever.

MStine315
02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
I used flat washers so there was smooth action when you move the handle up an down. I pondered using nylon washers. As for the nut, I did use a nylock nut AND loctite to ensure it stayed in the position I set it.

SpreadNSpray
03-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Just like Marc said. Here is a pic with the longer screw and added flat washers and lock washer.

I do have one more little tip for taking out the slop in the bars. This will also help the opening and closing problem. I will post the hardware needed and some pics in a bit.

SpreadNSpray
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Some of you might need this if you have a lot of slop in the bars. The movement back and forth can contribute to the hopper opening and closing by itself. Plus I just don't like the play in the bars. This won't make your Magnum feel like BMW, but it wont ride like a hay wagon anymore.

Hardware: (2) 5/16-18 regular Uss extruded U nuts.

The U nuts will go in between the handle bar frame and the square tube at the base on both sides.

Grind down the U nuts shown in the first pic. Grind off only enough so the handle bars will latch in the "up" position.

MStine315
03-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi Ross. Great tips, as usual. I noticed the screws were JUST long enough, if that, when I added the flat washers, but I see you did indeed put in lock washers too, which then required longer screws. I will be re-doing mine 1st thing tomm. along with the u-bolt upgrade. Thanks, Marc

lawntennis
03-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I did it and it worked. Thanks. As I was doing it I was sure there was no way that would make a difference. I would have never figured out to try that. Thanks again Spread n Spray and thanks again for the spray upgrade. Permagreen should hire you as a consultant.

SpreadNSpray
03-04-2009, 12:20 AM
I did it and it worked. Thanks. As I was doing it I was sure there was no way that would make a difference. I would have never figured out to try that. Thanks again Spread n Spray and thanks again for the spray upgrade. Permagreen should hire you as a consultant.

My pleasure. I'm glad it worked!:)

scweedman
03-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks Ross!!!!

SpreadNSpray
04-21-2009, 12:53 AM
Hey, just wanted to add.

The two machine screws with nylon friction washers on the hopper plate also need to be kept tight.

They are located on the throttle side of the hopper. The nuts are in side the hopper. The phillips screws and washers are on the under side of the hopper, pinching the open close plate.

SmartLawnCare
04-27-2012, 12:46 AM
I was looking for advice on PermaGreen shut-off adjustment and ran across three of the best and simplest solutions here! Thank you all!