PDA

View Full Version : Fire for dethatching

ricktaco
02-16-2009, 09:53 PM
For the past several years, I have burned the dead layer of zoisia off of my lawn when it is too thick. This works pretty well but I was wondering if anybody knew more about this. Any information when to burn, any drawbacks, better methods, etc... Thanks, hope you all can help.

Smallaxe
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Being from the north I cannot comment on Zoysia per se, but we burn here in the spring just b4 living plants break dormancy.
IMO, burning and leaving behind the potash for a nice greenup is a far better idea than raking up and removing it.

ffemtmcd
02-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Early spring - like in the next 3 weeks - I don't think I've ever seen a homeowner burn his own yard though - u have acreage??

turfcobob
02-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Good question for your local University Turfgrass Extension People. I remember my grandfather always burned off our Buffalo Grass lawn when I was a kid and it is a first cousin to Zoysia.

justanotherlawnguy
02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a guy that just did this to his st augustine, claims it works great. I will take some pics next time I am there and then take some more pics in a few months once the grass grows back.

JPsDuramax
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
We used to do it to Bermuda during dormancy...had great results. The burn bans have eliminated this possibility for us anymore, so no more being a pyro.

EagleGrounds
02-24-2009, 11:56 AM
How do you do it? Do you spray something over the grass then ignite it or what?

Smallaxe
02-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Once you ignite a spot and there is not enough mass for the fire to spread, then I would think burning is not your best way.
I like to move mine around with a handheld blower.

REDNAX
03-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Used to watch the "dad's" gather with a few extra long hoses and do a few yards on a Saturday morning; very=early 1960's Dallas. City soon put that idea to rest, BUT it produced a great looking lawn, albeit a few weeds.

A friend still did his out in the countryside in the 1980's. Invariably the best-looking lawn later in the season. Were I to do this, in Texas, I'd burn then core-aerate & fertilize just before spring rains hit in March.