PDA

View Full Version : Compare the Shurflo and Fastpac BP Backpacks

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-16-2009, 11:48 PM
I am getting into fert/squirts this season - decided using a backpack sprayer to spray a few small resi lawns this summer to get started. I will not do a lot of blanket spraying with the BP - but as weed pressure demands, it may be necessary at times. The rest of the time, will just spot spray.

At any rate - I was set on buying the Shurflo BP backpack, until I checked out the Fastpac system. I do like the option of getting the wand AND the gun with the sprayer - although it would be a little over $100 more to get the Fastpac vs the Shurflo.

Any opinions out there on either one of these?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Lets throw the Solo 5 gallon electric backpack in there as well.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Bump - I know some of you guys own these.....

THC
02-17-2009, 05:41 PM
You can change the wand if you need to on the shur flo. Not sure why you would need a gun when you only got 4 gallons on your back though. I like to keep the wand 18" or so above the ground to prevent drift.

Shur flo works great.

btw, I thought I would only "spot spray" to, LOL. I ended up blanketing almost everyone.

americanlawn
02-17-2009, 05:46 PM
SRS 600 works great for us. We swapped out the standard guns with an aluminum one from Sprayer Specialties (Grimes, IA). Also switched to a flat fan nozzle instead of the cone.

sclawndr
02-18-2009, 08:05 AM
SRS 600 works great for us. We swapped out the standard guns with an aluminum one from Sprayer Specialties (Grimes, IA). Also switched to a flat fan nozzle instead of the cone.

What spray tips specifically are you using? I haven't found a spray tip yet that fits the Shurflo wand.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Bump - would like to hear more from those that use Fastpacs.

ArizPestWeed
04-02-2009, 04:44 AM
I make my own ele back pack , in fact , Fastpac is a copy of mine .
Here , read this
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=215657&page=5

I am being slow at getting good photos of "DIY" ele bacl pack blog , but it is coming together .

You can make your own for less then $150 , once you do make one , making more comes easier & easier

ArizPestWeed
04-02-2009, 04:46 AM
Or , just start here
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=215657

gregory
04-02-2009, 10:56 AM
What spray tips specifically are you using? I haven't found a spray tip yet that fits the Shurflo wand.

only there tip will fit there wand thats why most just change the wand to a better one....

humble1
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
You can change the wand if you need to on the shur flo. Not sure why you would need a gun when you only got 4 gallons on your back though. I like to keep the wand 18" or so above the ground to prevent drift.

Shur flo works great.

btw, I thought I would only "spot spray" to, LOL. I ended up blanketing almost everyone.

I use my gun for tick and ant control

organiclawncanada
06-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I am looking for more feedback on the Fastpac as well????:canadaflag:

sclawndr
06-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I am looking for more feedback on the Fastpac as well????:canadaflag:

We've been using one for a while now. The good - it doesn't leak, it has decent pressure, easier to do a blanket app. The bad - battery not as good as the Shurflo, can't turn on/off while wearing it. The included spray tips could be better also.

Josh.S
06-03-2009, 07:46 PM
We've been using one for a while now. The good - it doesn't leak, it has decent pressure, easier to do a blanket app. The bad - battery not as good as the Shurflo, can't turn on/off while wearing it. The included spray tips could be better also.

Does it put out more volume that the SRS600? I bought the Shurflo for perimeter pest control but even on the highest setting I don't feel like I am putting out as much volume as I would like.

americanlawn
06-03-2009, 08:41 PM
We mostly use the blue flat fan nozzle (TeeJet). It fits in just fine. Just remove the "angled plastic piece" & the cone nozzle & put in the flat fan. So it ends up being a straight wand w/flat fan nozzle. The blue nozzles can spray 3 feet wide if you hold it high enough. Red & Yellow nozzles have a smaller spray pattern.

All our guys love the SRS600. We charge the batteries each weekend -- that's it.

ArizPestWeed
06-03-2009, 10:15 PM
You can make your own for under $150.

Fastpac has had problems because they have copied solo back packs made in China

Josh.S
06-04-2009, 12:09 AM
We mostly use the blue flat fan nozzle (TeeJet). It fits in just fine. Just remove the "angled plastic piece" & the cone nozzle & put in the flat fan. So it ends up being a straight wand w/flat fan nozzle. The blue nozzles can spray 3 feet wide if you hold it high enough. Red & Yellow nozzles have a smaller spray pattern.

All our guys love the SRS600. We charge the batteries each weekend -- that's it.

Is the volume of product any more by changing the tips and such?

sclawndr
06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Does it put out more volume that the SRS600? I bought the Shurflo for perimeter pest control but even on the highest setting I don't feel like I am putting out as much volume as I would like.

we haven't measured it but the fastpac does seem to. It seems geared toward pest control as opposed to weeds. The flat fan tips don't work real well for weeds in our opinion.

americanlawn
06-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Lots of TeeJet nozzles available. Spray width & volume. Not sure which sizes fit your needs. We just go to Sprayer Specialties, tell 'em what we are looking for, and they know right away which nozzle we need.

http://www.sprayers.com

FdLLawnMan
06-04-2009, 11:28 PM
we haven't measured it but the fastpac does seem to. It seems geared toward pest control as opposed to weeds. The flat fan tips don't work real well for weeds in our opinion.

If flat fan tips don't work for weed control why do boom sprayers include them as the default tip. IMO flat fans are the absolute best for weed control on a boom sprayer, backpack or ride on unit. You just have to watch the drift.

Josh.S
06-05-2009, 03:36 AM
You can make your own for under $150.

Fastpac has had problems because they have copied solo back packs made in China

Sounds like a lot of work man.. I paid $155 for my SRS600 new and shipped to my door. You're unit might have better parts though, who knows.

greendoctor
06-05-2009, 04:23 AM
If flat fan tips don't work for weed control why do boom sprayers include them as the default tip. IMO flat fans are the absolute best for weed control on a boom sprayer, backpack or ride on unit. You just have to watch the drift.

I agree. If a flat fan operated at 40 GPA, 40 PSI and 20" tip spacing is a horrible application method, why is it the standard for product testing? I never read research results citing an application method of spraying with a generic adjustable tip. It is always a fan tip operated at a set pressure and volume per area. When applying a product, I want the same results that got the product approved by the EPA and for sale by the manufacturer. Fan tips are the best for uniform coverage. Drift is fairly simple to control by watching operating pressure and using the new air induction nozzles. I do not use regular flat fans for herbicides in lawns due to the drift hazard.

sclawndr
06-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I agree. If a flat fan operated at 40 GPA, 40 PSI and 20" tip spacing is a horrible application method, why is it the standard for product testing? I never read research results citing an application method of spraying with a generic adjustable tip. It is always a fan tip operated at a set pressure and volume per area. When applying a product, I want the same results that got the product approved by the EPA and for sale by the manufacturer. Fan tips are the best for uniform coverage. Drift is fairly simple to control by watching operating pressure and using the new air induction nozzles. I do not use regular flat fans for herbicides in lawns due to the drift hazard.

I never said it was horrible - just not the best for a backpack, which is used primarily for spot spraying. While some use it for all their weed control, we use it for spot spraying. Accuracy is a huge issue when you're using it to edge along a flower bed for example. As you noted, the fan tips are prone to drift.

group501
06-05-2009, 08:23 AM
This is our second season using the Fastpac. The unit is excellent for ornamental trees and shrub applications, perimeter pest control and flea and tick control. The jd-9 spray gun is really good for these type of applications. We do not ave the unit with the interchangable wand so I can't speak on that feature. The battery should be placed on the car rapid charger after each application. We rotate 2 batteries on our truck, keeping on on the unit and one on the charger and rotating after each use. The batteries will last about 1 season but they are not expensive. We have used Birchmeir, Solo and Shur-Flo backpacks and this is without a doubt the best one.

greendoctor
06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I never said it was horrible - just not the best for a backpack, which is used primarily for spot spraying. While some use it for all their weed control, we use it for spot spraying. Accuracy is a huge issue when you're using it to edge along a flower bed for example. As you noted, the fan tips are prone to drift.

The only nozzles I trust next to ornamental areas is an AI tip. Regular fan tips have too many fine particles. I also do not spot spray anything.