PDA

View Full Version : My idea to spark biz

TXNSLighting
02-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Basically im going door to door and offering discounted lighting systems. As much as 50% off. There is nothing going on, and i think this will maybe help spark some interest. Its not going to be profitable at all, but i think it will help get more lights in the ground and more people seeing my work! I need to get something going in this economy, and this is better than going out of business. So wish me luck!

The Lighting Geek
02-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I think it would be wise to do something else temporarily until things pick up. You may very well regret your discounts when they become expected. You are setting an expectation with everything you do. I am working as a landscape division manager as an example, so I can continue to charge what my artistry with light is worth. Just my 2 cents. :-P

MAGLIGHTING
02-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Good luck Ryan let us know how it's working out. I'm sure you will get some criticsim from your peers for this but you shouldn't be too critical until you walk a mile in the man's shoes.
At least you are doing something which is better than nothing and there is alot to be said for taking batting practice. The more swings you take and the more experience you get the better lighter you will be. The only way to truly master anything is by repitition day in and day out.
Every client you get is a potential for referral to more clients. Just make sure they understand what you are doing price wise and that it is for a limited time available to a limited amount of customers. I'm interested to see how it goes. Keep us informed.

The Lighting Geek
02-17-2009, 01:16 AM
OK, so i read my post and I don't get what I just said...LOL. Mike is also right. You have to find a balance that you can live with. I decided to wait out the mess here, we have been hit harder than most. I applaud you in your energy and enthusiasm and if you are careful, this could work for you. Be careful, as Mike said, to make you prices and such very clear up front.

Lite4
02-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Good luck with it Ryan. I can understand trying to stimulate some business. Here is something else you might try. Let the homeowner buy all the parts and wire at your cost but charge him your regular hourly rate. This way you are not jeapardizing your cash flow either. The times it was slow and I tried it, it seemed to work really good. Be upfront with your client, just tell them you are wanting to stay busy and are happy to cover general overhead for the time being. They will appreciate your forthrightness and the rare opportunity you are affording them. You won't get rich this way but you may very well stay out of the red. As Mike said, it keeps you knee deep in the work so you can continue to refine your skills.

TXNSLighting
02-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Thank you Tommy, Mike, and Tim. I am specifying greatly that this is a limited time offer only. I want to make it very clear with them that this is not regular price and it will be going back up. I did worry about that as well Tommy, but i think if i do it right, and am smart about it, it shouldnt hurt me. I have really been thinking how to word everything, and im hoping to see great results.

I will definitely keep you all informed with this, I wont be losing alot of money off of this, just not making near as much. All i really want is to get people seeing my abilities as a lighting designer. I feel i am great at it, just dont have any one to show!

I value everybodys input here, so please keep em comin guys.

MAGLIGHTING
02-17-2009, 02:04 AM
Ryan, just like any other market condition, you will have to find a proper balance between closing sales and profittability. The only way to do this is by testing various offers and various pricing and see what works and then stick with it and refine it to the point where you can increase value for the client and profitability for your company.

You don't even need to promote the fact that you are offering huge discounts in fact I think this will attract alot of price shoppers. Your goal is to attract value buyers who aren't neccesarily looking at price only.

When you deliver your price leave a few options, different prices for different levels of project scope. make them understand that you are aggressively seking new clients to build your business and this is reflected in your price to complete their project. Your best client will be one who will pay a fair price so you make a profit, sign an ongoing service agreement with you and refer you to like minded friends who use you as well.

Perhaps your prices could be contingent on them signing a service agreement with you for a minimum of 1 year or 2 maintenance sessions. Give them the option to cancel after the delivery of the 2 sessions but if you are doing a good job they would be foolish to let you go.

Your client list is your most valuable asset in this business. Do fantastic work that stands up over time so when the market does rebound in your area there will be prospects coming to you in want of your services instead of vice versa. That is why maintenance service is so important. It not only gives you a vehicle to reconnect with a happy client but gives you the ability to keep your previous jobs selling new jobs for you.

TXNSLighting
02-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Great advice Mike. I thank you very much for it. I will definately use this to my advantage and do what i can. all this will begin tomorrow, and i will offer it for a short time, and afterwords i may look into adjusting my regular prices, but still make it worth it. I understand what youre saying and i will use it. thank you again!

rlpsystems
02-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Good Luck Ryan.
I recently did the same thing, I offered affordable lighting for the winter months. Amazing thing was that out of 120 people (current irrigation customers) only 4 ended up being intrested. But those four jobs did end up being around 3k jobs. I'm thinking as it warms up people will be calling. Which is a good thing. So now I'm preparing for that time
PS Good Luck to all

LightYourNight
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Going door to door is intimidating I tired it one time in a neighborhood I already had saturation in. People are busy and are used to people trying to sell magazines or getting you to sign a marijuana petition or whatever. I learned so much from doing it. Go for it!

Lite4
02-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Ryan,
Here is another approach you could use to get their attention. Go out and randomly set up a very nice demo in a targeted neighborhood. Then, physically knock on each door and introduce yourself to all the neighbors in about a 3-4 block radius. Tell them who you are, and that you have set up a lighting demonstration at "jon and mary's house over on happy street". Tell them you are inviting everyone in the immediate neighborhood to come and take a look and that you will have the demo showing (friday through sunday). Invite them to drive by and take a look when they are out. Leave them with a door hanger or pamphlet that has all of your info on it as well as the address of the demo and the dates and days it is showing. Most people I have encountered when approaching it this way don't seem to feel like they are being pressured for a hard sale on their door step, rather just an invitation to come and look at something possibly new and exciting that they may very well be interested in. Give it a try. You will find you have a much easier time knocking on doors and talking to people when not directly confronting them with an immediate sale.

TXNSLighting
02-19-2009, 08:35 PM
I like that idea Tim, i think i may figure out a way to get that done, Thanks bud!

Mark B
02-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Here is another idea. Go find the best house in the area, get the mailing address and offer them a free demo, along with telling them about your company info. Then set it up, then you could go out in the local area to the homeowners. Or you could mail them a flier about the demo. Let it stay up for a week or so.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Here is another idea. (not all that new to those of you who "know me" but still a remarkably effective concept) Go find the most upscale, private, high end country club, spa, resort, restaurant (you get the idea) in your market and make them an offer they cannot refuse. (Heck, spend your entire annual marketing budget on this one property if you must) Then light it to the best of your ability. Make it STUNNING.... then ensure that the mgt. has your contact info, cards, flyers, etc. Next, sit and wait for the phone to ring... and it will I assure you.

Birds of a feather flock together.

You are only as good as your last installation.

Get it?

Lite4
02-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Here is another idea. Go find the best house in the area, get the mailing address and offer them a free demo, along with telling them about your company info. Then set it up, then you could go out in the local area to the homeowners. Or you could mail them a flier about the demo. Let it stay up for a week or so.

Don't mail it to em, go knock on the door and talk to them and ask for the demo. If you mail it, it will most likely end up in the trash leaving you sitting on your sofa at home wondering. Be direct about it, and ask for it. Most people love to be flattered by knowing you selected them and their home above all others in the neighborhood.

TXNSLighting
02-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Here is another idea. (not all that new to those of you who "know me" but still a remarkably effective concept) Go find the most upscale, private, high end country club, spa, resort, restaurant (you get the idea) in your market and make them an offer they cannot refuse. (Heck, spend your entire annual marketing budget on this one property if you must) Then light it to the best of your ability. Make it STUNNING.... then ensure that the mgt. has your contact info, cards, flyers, etc. Next, sit and wait for the phone to ring... and it will I assure you.

Birds of a feather flock together.

You are only as good as your last installation.

Get it?

This is what ive been looking at doing for the past couple months, but gosh theres no where around here that is really seen enough and would be worth it...Im still on the hunt. I had a great idea of a landmark building, but i drove by it the other night, and its already got a crap load of moon lighting. Im looking around upscale golf courses and such, but nothing that could really get an awesome lighting system.

But yes James this is what im REALLY wanting to do.

TXNSLighting
02-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Don't mail it to em, go knock on the door and talk to them and ask for the demo. If you mail it, it will most likely end up in the trash leaving you sitting on your sofa at home wondering. Be direct about it, and ask for it. Most people love to be flattered by knowing you selected them and their home above all others in the neighborhood.

I like this as well, definately mailers is not the way. I have got to man up and get in front of the people. That is my deal, i struggle with the goin up to people thing.... I need to be more like Tommy...ha!

Lite4
02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
I like this as well, definately mailers is not the way. I have got to man up and get in front of the people. That is my deal, i struggle with the goin up to people thing.... I need to be more like Tommy...ha!

You Bet...Tommy is a great role model for how to interact with people. Your potential customers will like that you are supremely confident (not cocky) in yourself and your ability to give them something no one else can.

Ryan, out of the probably 40-50 homes I have knocked on and asked to set up a demo, I have only had 3 people say they didn't want the demo. Ok, no big deal, so I just went to the next best house on the street and did theirs. Any good salesman must overcome their fears of rejection and push on. YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR WHAT YOU WANT, or you will never get it. All they can tell you is no, BIG DEAL, move on to the next potential.

You can do this Bro, go get em!

NightLightingFX
02-20-2009, 12:17 PM

I agree with Tim.

I personally think any kind of "snail mailing" is most likely a waste of time. Unless you have a large marketing budget - maybe snail mail might be effective, but you have to do it consistanly. That gets expensive quick. With that amount of money, I think I could find a lot more efficient ways to use it in a marketing plan vs. going into the mail where 95% of the time recipients will just chuck it.

If you have the time, you might as well selectively find the best place to light, do a demo, and create some buzz about the demo.
~Ned

TXNSLighting
02-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Thank you Tim, very motivational. And youre right the worst they can say is no. Done. Im going out of town next week, but once i get back. Im headin out, and im not stopping til this place knows my name! Ill let you all know my results! I do have a demo scheduled for the day after i get back, so theres a start!

Lite4
02-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Right on Ryan, go get em. Keep us posted on your success with it.