PDA

View Full Version : Used dump beds?

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-17-2009, 01:44 AM
hey guys, the dump bed on our 98 c3500 looks like its on its final year. ive been searching online for used dumpbeds but i cant come up with anything. dont want to spend close to 9k for a new bed and hoist, so i decided to go used. the one thats on there now is an 8ft model with drop sides. i would like a standard bed, no dropsides. any ideas where to look?

Gravel Rat
02-17-2009, 04:16 PM
I doubt you will find a decent used dump box they will be either rusted out or beat to h*ll. Trust me I looked for my truck I ended up building my own my deck is 11'6. Is this a pickup truck with the box removed and a dump box put on or is it a true cab and chassis.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
no its a real cab and chassis. it has an L pack on it and an 8' dump bed. the truck itself is solid. we put in new stronger coil springs, timbrens, its got airbags in the back, 220amp alt and dual batteries. the motor runs strong, interior is in really good condition etc... Thats why im just trying to get at least 4 more years out of the thing.

tnmtn
02-17-2009, 11:11 PM
you might check www.truckpaper.com they have some new beds at very good prices. since you won't be needing hydraulics one of them may work out. they do have lengths down to 8'.
good luck,

stuvecorp
02-17-2009, 11:23 PM
May be check Craigslist? There was a 9' contractors box with hoist that someone took off there truck last fall and only wanted 1500, I wish I would have gone and looked at it.

Check some of the truck equipment/body installers in your area, they might have a leftover or know of one out there.

CLARK LAWN
02-18-2009, 12:36 AM
what about just rebuilding it? if you have access to a welder and a torch its not to hard.

Gravel Rat
02-18-2009, 05:00 AM
You might have to get a dumping flatdeck if you can't find a mason box. They are hard to find used especially a 8 foot box because they are not common a 9 foot box is common.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-18-2009, 10:54 AM
what about just rebuilding it? if you have access to a welder and a torch its not to hard.

its too far gone to rebuild, there is soo much rust on the outside of this thing, holes through the deck, one of the hinges seized up and broke, i cant use the handle to undo the latches that let the dump gate swing, we have to drop the gate from the top all the time.

Edgewater
02-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Last time I looked for a used one, i found that the cost of the box plus installation (no warranty) would be about 75% of the cost of a new one installed.

If the truck is solid, put a new one on and you will be good for a long time. If you take care of the box, or buy aluminum, you could move it to your next truck.

A used box would have to be very near you to even consider.

gene gls
02-18-2009, 08:41 PM
If you are looking for a cheap price and something that will only last a few years. Go to a truck-up-fitter and look at some of the light formed steel body's.