PDA

View Full Version : Adding on to our pest control business

Keepin it Green
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm from Kansas City and have been in the pest control business since 1969 (my company was started by my grandfather in 1950).
Termite products are so effective these days that huge colonies of termites are being eliminated on a national basis. That's the problem. What used to be 60% of our business is now 40% and declining.
Solution: enter the lawn care business. We are already certified and we are used to pesticides and customer service. Also, the overhead is already being paid (office, office staff, utilities, etc).
This is our second year. Last year we treated our employees and friends yards to learn. This year we are going after real clients. WE have about 30 so far. We only do "weed and feed" along with verticutting. No mow, no trees, no irrigation. We may expand into all that in the future.

DLAWNS
02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Good luck to ya and welcome to Lawnsite.

qserve
02-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Welcome. We added lawn care last year after doing pest control for 2 years. They go together well. Our biggest challenge is that being located in small town Iowa, we had to diversify and travel a ways to stay busy. I actually started with janitorial and carpet/floor care 10 years ago as a sideline. Adding pest control allowed me to go run my business full time. Good luck to you.