View Full Version : new biz in FL

02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Please help. I am trying to start a lawn bizz in central FL. And I need some help with going completely legal. I know that I need insurance and license.

Whom do I need to be licensed with the state, county, and city?? What’s need to do this??

How do I set up sole proprietor?

In the forum it says repeatly “Check your local laws”, where exactly do you do this??

Thanks for your help.

02-17-2009, 08:43 PM

scroll down to mid page there are links to business incorporating help etc..

02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
You need to get your City and County lic.. I you use a name other than your own you need to register a fictious name with the state. Get your insurance from whom ever you want.

02-17-2009, 09:00 PM

02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
thanks, you guys are awsome...

I.M. Green
02-18-2009, 09:01 AM
where in central Fl?

02-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Pasco County, its about 45min north of Tampa. I would like to serivce Pasco and Hernando Counties.

02-19-2009, 04:27 PM
What are the benfits of creating the business under a fictious name?? Why would'nt you use your on name??

Ruben Rocha
02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
The law is a little tricky here is florida but.
Usually is you operate a business using a name other than your legal name your are required to file that name with the division of corporations in florida.
Regardless if it is a dba,sole proprietor, or any flavor of corp like a llc.
So if your name is John e. Doe and your business is named John E. Doe as a sole proprietor you should not need to register your name.
But if your business name is John E. Doe lawns. Then you do that is not a legal name.
BTW when you do register a name with the state is is best to go ahead and pay the extra money for a certified copy. It helps when opening a bank account etc.

As far as a license goes just go to your local county tax collector(where you pay for tags,property tax) and apply for a occupational license for lawn maint.
Usually they only require money no insurance etc.
If you are going to spray roundup in flower beds, Another story you will need a special license and Liability insurance for that. You can start with the county extension service to get you started or http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/pesticide_licenses/index.shtml

Now I am not saying you don't need insurance. Just that it normally is not required here in florida for normal mowing service.

03-17-2009, 04:03 PM
to kinda get around paying the $50 for a fictious name you can register your business with the county under DBA(Doing Business As) ex. John Smith DBA Lawn Mowing R Us....u get the point!