PDA

View Full Version : Flatbed: Steel or Aluminum

dirtybiz
02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I am going to put a flatbed on my 06 Dodge 3500, and am trying to decide between steel and aluminum? Anyone have any input and/or pro's/cons of each? I am looking at Hillsboro's at a local trailer dealership, but am certainly not married to anyone brand yet.

Hillsboro has a nice new steel model that is heavier duty than their previous models. I do like the look of aluminum better, and certainly like the idea of it still looking the same in 10 years, as a steel one will get scratched up and need to be repainted in a few years. It looks like it would cost about $1k more than the cheapest hillsboro steel fb to do aluminum, or only about $200 more than the heavy duty steel one they make.

Their is also a local fab shop that makes their own steel flatbeds to your spec's (look pretty heavy duty) for around $3k. Decisions, decisions. Input?

JB1
02-17-2009, 11:34 PM
I just got one and I went with steel, I asked a friend, he thought what I was doing it would be more durable and the truck would ride better with a heavier bed. I'm happy with the steel.

scagtiger
02-18-2009, 12:39 AM
check out the tg mountaineer beds, they seem to make a pretty tough bed and be reasonable on price

dirtybiz
02-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks, those are really nice, going to get a quote from them. I imagine it would cost a fortune to ship it out here (MT) though!

nosparkplugs
02-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Steel is more durable, and heavy; which will reduce CGVWR. Aluiminum will be lighter, very pricey, prone to more dents & scratch's, but will increase your CGVWR, slight increase in MPG, looks good.

These trucks ride like tanks anyways, I keep mine loaded down, but as always someone would complain about the ride:laugh:, bunch of women

in the end it's your money, if extracting every ounce of towing capacity is not critical, go steel. One note have the Steel flatbed Rhino-lined it will last forever:waving: