PDA

View Full Version : Aeration and mess = complaints

Barefoot James
02-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Let's here your stories on doing aeration and getting compliants on the mess it creates?? Anyone have this happen to them. Customers that just don't get it?

Exact Rototilling
02-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Are we talking torn turf or the plugs left behind on the grass, driveway...?

My Plugr doesn't tear turf but it does leave a boat load of plugs. Never a complaint on the plugs.

What is important is to NOT leave plugs all over the drive way or walkways. I see the big companies do this constantly. :hammerhead:

Barefoot James
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
ANY compliants - guess you don't have any.

I guess folks who have ever had their yard aerated before and when they see all the plugs they think we just destroyed their yard??

Like I know golf courses get tons of complaints for charging full boat after aeration. they should tell you or tell you and give you a discount to play after aeration.

You gotta admit a yard after aeration looks like crap but after a good rain and few mows and when the grass starts growing - they are sooo happy.

Just thought some good stories would come out???

greenbaylawns
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Had a lady call me once after I aerated. Her daughter was home while I was aerating and called her mom at work and told her the lawn guy is putting dog turds all over the yard. Wow that was weird one.

Barefoot James
02-17-2009, 11:12 PM
This is good now we are going someplace - keep em coming.

treegal1
02-18-2009, 07:53 AM
did one once and the lady called that night, asking why she had so many moles in her yard after we did the aeration?? so i go by the next day and she has a big bag of plugs and said she had to pay someone to pick up all the mole turds. so I explained the process and the plugs and took the big bag of plugs and removed them. for 3 weeks every day she called and ask if i had killed the moles, first week i kept telling her that there is no moles, next week i said yes they are dead, 3rd week i just plain played like i did not know who she was. week 4 i called the family services and they came and helped this nice lady find her meds...........

TScapes
02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
I remember doing this one oriental family's house one time... I still smile when I think about it.:laugh:

Anyways, we aerated their entire lawn (10-12k) and went over 2-3 times in areas. Came back the next day (Saturday morning) to do a couple more in the same neighborhood. This entire family, kids and all, were out on their hands and knees putting the plugs back in the holes!!:hammerhead:

I about died laughing! I had seen people rake them up.... sweep them up.... roll over them with a roller.... but NEVER this!

KrayzKajun
02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
I remember doing this one oriental family's house one time... I still smile when I think about it.:laugh:

Anyways, we aerated their entire lawn (10-12k) and went over 2-3 times in areas. Came back the next day (Saturday morning) to do a couple more in the same neighborhood. This entire family, kids and all, were out on their hands and knees putting the plugs back in the holes!!:hammerhead:

I about died laughing! I had seen people rake them up.... sweep them up.... roll over them with a roller.... but NEVER this!

tht is priceless!!!:clapping:

Danscapes
02-18-2009, 03:48 PM
This makes me wonder. If homeowners are dumb enough to remove the plugs I wonder how much soil would be lost after doing it for years?

DUSTYCEDAR
02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
I just give all the kids pogo sticks and let them have at it

turfcobob
02-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Been at this over 33 years and that one is a new one on me. Need a cartoon of it to put in one of the Lawn and Lanscape books Be a big hit.
Turfcobob

cudaclan
02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Would it be helpful if you provided pictures of what remains after a “plug-job”? The homeowner has two options. Let the cores deteriorate or a dethatching ($) would be necessary.

ICT Bill
02-23-2009, 09:53 AM
A lot of folks I know drag steel fencing behind the aerator to break up the plugs and smooth out the lawn or come back and drag it by hand

Kind of like the seventh inning in baseball

treegal1
02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
:laugh:just run the ZTR over it:laugh:

Jason Rose
02-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I've never had anyone complain, but I think most people that ASK for aeration know what they are getting into. It's the people that haven't a clue and someone comes along and tells them they need to do this, it will be $XX that are dumbfounded, or just dumb.

I get more worried about the mess than my customers do probably. I can keep things clean when aerating, save for a pair of wheel tracks on the sidewalk or drive if the ground is wet. It's the first mowing afterwords I dread. If it's been wet, or they have been watering, and I'm there in the morning, it's mud city.

I don't know how people with indoor dogs deal with it when they have to let them out and back inside all the time. Heck, it drive me nuts when I do my own lawn because I have two sheds I go back and forth from for equipment and parts. for 2 weeks or better I've got the tall shoe going on. I guess if I was SMART I'd run the slicer over it and break up the plugs...