PDA

View Full Version : About to buy my 1st commercail mower what should i get?

murrayslandscaping22
02-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I am 17 and started cutting a couple of lawns last summer about 20. i was using a 21" push mower and an echo trimmer and a craftsman backpack blower from sears. This summer coming up i have about 40 accounts set up for this summer and i was planning on getting a 36" mower. what kind would you guys recommend. I was also wondering where everyone gets them big green trash cans cause my little ones dont do the job.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-17-2009, 08:55 PM
The big green ones have been discussed a million times on this site lol. You can get them at Home Depot for about $40 a piece. Then Gravely is a good mower. Thats what mine is and it has given me no problems....Another thing, going from 20 accounts to 40 accounts in under a year is AWESOME!

murrayslandscaping22
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
yea well i got really lucky because a family friend got be about 10 because he owns a bunch of rental properties so i got all them and then the rest was from word of mouth..i still want to pass out flyers around the areas where the bulk of my accounts are. thanks for the help

jiggz
02-17-2009, 09:20 PM
hummmm.. .maybe its just me, but i never really understood 36 inch mowers??..

i look at it like this.. a 36 isn't going to fit in smaller gates like a 32 will.. and generally a 36 isn't going to save you much time if at all time over a 32..

if your going to get a w/b that smal,l go with the 32.. if you don't have gates to worry about why not just go up to a 48?

greenbaylawns
02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm sure he'll have gates. Get a 36. Exmark's work good

DLAWNS
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
I have a 32" Exmark Metro walk behind and it's great. I think a 36" or a 32" would be fine for ya.

lawnprosteveo
02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
The best mower you can buy is one you can pay cash for. Look at a good used walk behind. As for the green cans...I got mine at Lesco.

Valk
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Go to your gates and physically measure them...you might be surprised - I know I was because a 36" mower will not fit thru a 36" gate.
A 32" mower made WAY more sense for my business as those smaller gates, too small for a 36", still led to a great big back yard that mowing with a 21" wasn't going to happen anymore. My Toro 21 stays at home, now.

Tommy Boy
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I would look for a good used 36 walk behind, belt driven, with low hours. PAY CASH! Do not go into debt. You will always have a need for a 36" mower. Stay samml and keep overhead low. Track every dollar, and buy used oras I call it slightly new / used. As for trash cans, lesco / John Deere is great, we like to use the roll-around types and bought some from local trash company. The nice thing is if we break the can, we take it back and exchange it. Great deal and it has wheels.

Good luck, sounds like you have a great plan....

murrayslandscaping22
02-18-2009, 08:15 PM
thanks for all the info guys...yea idk if i should get a 36" or 32" it just depends what kind of deal i find and which one is the best for the money i have. i know not to get into debt.

tommy boy you say stay small? what do u mean by this becausee i want to do this as a career and try to get as big as i can not now but later on and try to expand to tree services when i get older in my 20s.

LKNBigFish
02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
check out the quick mowers, hydro not much more than a belt

Tommy Boy
02-18-2009, 09:16 PM
thanks for all the info guys...yea idk if i should get a 36" or 32" it just depends what kind of deal i find and which one is the best for the money i have. i know not to get into debt.

tommy boy you say stay small? what do u mean by this becausee i want to do this as a career and try to get as big as i can not now but later on and try to expand to tree services when i get older in my 20s.

NO I encourge growth, but responsible growth based on a real plan and proven marketing. We have too many "Gear Heads" in here folks who start out and rune out and get a bunch of "Must Have" equipment. Think small, provide good service and the business will grow if you work at growing your business.

Wise ues of credit and pinch every nickle until it screams. If you keep you focus on doing the most with the least amount of equipment and overhead, you will make a killing in this busniess.

We see so many guys getting out, and I wonder how many of the guys are just upside down on this.

I have a bigger business and we just boougt 6, new trucks today (Ford F-250's XL work trucks) I need new truck to replace aging trucks and add 2 new crews. The key is I need new trucks, not want new trucks.

Good luck and drive on!

Tommy Boy
02-18-2009, 09:19 PM
check out the quick mowers, hydro not much more than a belt

Quick mower would be a great starter mower, and yes not much more than a belt driven model, but again look for deals, if none and you can swing it, the new Quick Duelly 36 would make a great mower to bulid around.

murrayslandscaping22
02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
thanks tommy boy i kno exaclty where ur coming from and i just read a 7 page post about not getting to big and being smart with everything i do. i have a family friend that had it all and he had it had about 7 trucks and was getting new equipment every year which was not needed. he had it all everyone though, but now over this past summer he went out of business because he just couldnt do it anymore. he forgot about all his customers and when commercial, he also just spent all his money he had and didnt save it. he had i think 2 house over a half a million dollars and his wife didnt work. i just kno i need to stay smart and stay in my range and grow at a pace that is needed.

and f-250's they are my favorite trucks i have a 98 chevy 1500 silverado with about 175,000 miles on it, yea it might not be nice but me and my dad looked at an 2000 f-250 and it just wasnt right for me at the time and i rather buy a mower that will make me money and drive my truck that i got for free instead of having to pay for a better looking truck for no reason cause my truck runs fine just not the best looking. i get them urges for the nice equipment and the nice truck but i just gotta stay in my price range. so 6 f-250's thats awesome good luck wiht them and thanks for all the advice....what kind of equipment are u running?

lifetree
02-18-2009, 09:47 PM
... the new Quick Duelly 36 would make a great mower to bulid around.

I was wondering if I should suggest that !!

DLAWNS
02-18-2009, 09:50 PM

I think that my southern friend, Tommy Boy is saying to not bite off more than you can chew. If you start to get too much work, too quickly you might not be able to keep up and quality will suffer.

murrayslandscaping22
02-18-2009, 09:55 PM
i kno i have about 35 lawns for this summer coming up and i do the snow removal for all them..i want to get bigger but after im done college because my mom wants me to go to college in case my dreams of owning a landscaping company for the rest of my life doesnt come through. i kno i just need to have what works for me and not take on jobs i cant handle or take on too much work for now

lifetree
02-18-2009, 09:57 PM
i kno i have about 35 lawns for this summer coming up and i do the snow removal for all them..i want to get bigger but after im done college because my mom wants me to go to college in case my dreams of owning a landscaping company for the rest of my life doesnt come through. i kno i just need to have what works for me and not take on jobs i cant handle or take on too much work for now

That's why the Quick machines are worth taking a look at !!

murrayslandscaping22
02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
i just looked at their website...do u recomend getting a new one? or a used one?

Tommy Boy
02-18-2009, 10:11 PM
thanks tommy boy i kno exaclty where ur coming from and i just read a 7 page post about not getting to big and being smart with everything i do. i have a family friend that had it all and he had it had about 7 trucks and was getting new equipment every year which was not needed. he had it all everyone though, but now over this past summer he went out of business because he just couldnt do it anymore. he forgot about all his customers and when commercial, he also just spent all his money he had and didnt save it. he had i think 2 house over a half a million dollars and his wife didnt work. i just kno i need to stay smart and stay in my range and grow at a pace that is needed.

and f-250's they are my favorite trucks i have a 98 chevy 1500 silverado with about 175,000 miles on it, yea it might not be nice but me and my dad looked at an 2000 f-250 and it just wasnt right for me at the time and i rather buy a mower that will make me money and drive my truck that i got for free instead of having to pay for a better looking truck for no reason cause my truck runs fine just not the best looking. i get them urges for the nice equipment and the nice truck but i just gotta stay in my price range. so 6 f-250's thats awesome good luck wiht them and thanks for all the advice....what kind of equipment are u running?

Good for you, drive that old truck to the bank witha big load of cash on the back. You can make a great living at this. We got a great fleet price, $21,800 each for 2008 white 250 XL crew cabs, Ford is gave us about $8400 in rebates. I could have picked 2009, but I always buy last years model and save the change.

You sound like you got a great head on your shoulders, you will go far... Keep listing to them yankees may get you into trouble (Bill)

Stay on the site and use the search features, what ever you need has been brought up here in the past!

Now go cut some grass!

FourTrees
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Can a 17 year old legally run this type of equipment?

Just curious. Is it worth the risk.

LouisianaLawnboy
02-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Get a 32 w/b and a 50" ZTR Gravely like me. I love my Gravely, it cuts down the time spent in a yard, which equals more money.(Pun intended)

LouisianaLawnboy
02-19-2009, 12:20 AM

I started at 15.

:usflag:The American Dream is for all people regardless of age.:usflag:

Government isn't the solution. It's the problem.

FourTrees
02-19-2009, 01:28 AM
I started at 15.

:usflag:The American Dream is for all people regardless of age.:usflag:

Hey I am all for that. Believe me I am. Congratulations.:clapping:

But is it worth the risk running big equipment? I'm just sain big fines if you get caught by the wrong guys. Right?

nosparkplugs
02-19-2009, 01:37 AM

This one looks just right for you

Big C
02-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I am 17 and started cutting a couple of lawns last summer about 20. i was using a 21" push mower and an echo trimmer and a craftsman backpack blower from sears. This summer coming up i have about 40 accounts set up for this summer and i was planning on getting a 36" mower. what kind would you guys recommend. I was also wondering where everyone gets them big green trash cans cause my little ones dont do the job.

Is it just me or I didn't hear any mention of insurance or business license. Get those first and replace equipment as money permits....JMO

capnsac
02-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Is it just me or I didn't hear any mention of insurance or business license. Get those first and replace equipment as money permits....JMO

In NE we only need a license for chemical. If you're talking liceses for tax purposes than just be a sole-proprietor for the first year and use your SSN.

Insurance however, is a must. 1,000,000 general liability with insurance to cover all your equipment. You will sleep better at night having this.

STIHL GUY
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
better outdoor products has nice mowers that arent too expensive. you could also find a decent used commercial WB for not too much

nickpappapump
02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
now if you have a 36" and it wont fit in a gate level is there any tricks to get it thru there? if it is like only a few inches?

bryant lawn & landscape
02-23-2009, 01:19 AM
I've got a Quick 36 with low hours for sale. If you decide to go that route, let me know.

bryant lawn & landscape
02-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Of course, the mower in nosparkplugs' image looks promising.

capnsac
02-23-2009, 07:50 AM
I just got a Cub Cadet Commercial 36" with dual hydros, 15 horse Kawi engine, tracking controls for $4100 OTD. I will have some pics up later today.

IntegrityGuy
02-23-2009, 08:27 AM

haha. its not like your dealing drugs. but i would set up a buisness account, pay taxes, and definentaly buy insurence. I only pay 300 a year for 1million coverage for any related work i do. But yes since your doing 40 lawns buy insurence. also is a great thing to tell customers.