PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with this grass?

fonjo
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
anyone knows what might of caused this? or better yet , how to fix it? i live in northeren calif. the grass is a mixture of seed from the local grass farm, that has been applied over the past 10 years. any ideas are greatly appreciated. thanks james

Runner
02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
It looks to me like it is a tall fescue (turf type), which is a bunch type growth habit. Over time, if the soil is lacking potassium (and possibly phosphorus), the roots can not and will not reproduce and spread like turf cultivars with prostrate growth habit. I would order a soil analysis, and that will verify this.

loupiscopolandscaping
02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
very hard to tell from just pictures. def is a fescue... a few things if it was a blend mix a disease have have depleted the other mixed grasses. rye, bluegrass, or etc... im from jersey, im really not familiar with pests on the west coast. just trying to help ya out buddy

fonjo
02-18-2009, 12:23 AM
thanks for the advice. as for the soil sampling who do i contact? internet/yellow pages? what would the business that does the sampling, be classifed as?

loupiscopolandscaping
02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
i use lesco here... the do soil testing..most fert/chem companies will do the test. idk how much it is but i do know its not expensive.

Runner
02-18-2009, 01:57 AM
Or contact your county cooperative extension service. They work with your state universities.

treegal1
02-18-2009, 08:15 AM
https://web01.aphis.usda.gov/PPQ/AuthSoilLabs.nsf/web?openform#ca

maybe you just need some professional help???

if you cant get the soil tested your self and have a hard time finding a lab on the link I gave, then your interpretation of your soil is..... well its sort of one of the things that you need a keen eye for....

if you hit a wall, PM me and I can send you the soil lab I use and help you read the test.....

but a class 1-2 soil should not be hard to fix....

1/2 rate of 13-3-13, add some compost and then aerate and over seed in march...... but thats just a guess at this point with the limited resources and access to Ca soil composition......

loupiscopolandscaping
02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
thats true....here rutgurs university will test and study ANY plant live. its pretty cool they help out the public. my assumsion is the possiblity of new species,hybids, charles darwin

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Very clumpy - I agree with above, get a soil test, there very well may be something in the analysis that is off and can be amended.

44DCNF
02-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Is that on a slope, and/or under the canopy of a large leafed tree?

tombo82685
02-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I've seen this on highly compacted areas on football field. When they aerify grasses will come up only in the aerification holes. So my question is your ground highly compacted and do you aerify?

fonjo
02-24-2009, 02:51 AM
the ground has never been touched except when they seeded years ago. i was planning on dethaching( customers request) seeding, topdressing come back in a month and areate. most of the acre or so the grass is ok except for in about 5 different spots. all around 25/30 sq. ft. around. i was going to lower the dethacher, farther, in these spots and then seed, topdress the areas and fert. the whole thing. ground is still cold out here, thats why i was going to come back and areate at a later time. thanks james

tombo82685
02-24-2009, 09:29 AM
the ground has never been touched except when they seeded years ago. i was planning on dethaching( customers request) seeding, topdressing come back in a month and areate. most of the acre or so the grass is ok except for in about 5 different spots. all around 25/30 sq. ft. around. i was going to lower the dethacher, farther, in these spots and then seed, topdress the areas and fert. the whole thing. ground is still cold out here, thats why i was going to come back and areate at a later time. thanks james

Are you sure the grass type is tall fescue? If that grass is tall fescus you really dont need to dethatch, because fescue doesnt really produce that much thatch or any. Its a bunch type grass, which grows through tillering. Your thatch comes from you rhizome/stolon grasses like bermuda,bluegrass,zyosia. I would seed, aerate, topdress, and fertilize at the same time. What are you topdressing with? Are you doing sand or like 70/30 sand with organice matt, or all organic matt like peat moss? If your going to aerate their is no need to dethatch, because aeration removes thatch also. Dethatchers like gradens are used on golf courses for heavy thatch type turfs like angrostis pualustris (creep. bent). When aerating use a smaller spacing for cores to be pulled, this will also eliminate the thatch and incorporate oxygen into the soil profile and roots. The cores being pulled will alow direct transfer of the fertilizer to the roots, and the aeration will give some soil disturbance for good seed growth.

1.2.3. green
02-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Aerate HEAVY and overseed.Looks just like a lawn I came across last season, worked out great.Very compacted, open it up and it will do great a little tes would'nt hurt either.

fonjo
02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
First off THANKS for everyone's advice! sorry its a couple of days inbetween posts. the area is the backyard of a large property, about an acre and half. and pretty much flat. no regular maintance like areating or regular fertilizing. the owner just put seed down once in a while when bare spots or dry spots come up. he bought the seed from the local grass farm and doesnt remember what type he got. the owner is asking to dethatch soooooo, should i or not? the topdressing is landscape mix from the grass farm and i will take some of the grass with me so they can match up the seed ( the farm is less than a mile away). my business is areating lawns, usually in town. i work with the local landscapers that do normal maintance and they call me in to areate( at a discount to them). thanks for the help

Sammy
02-27-2009, 09:43 AM
i was planning on dethaching( customers request) seeding, topdressing come back in a month and areate.

my business is areating lawns, usually in town

If your business is areating lawns, then you should know that you should areate befor you seed and top dress, not after. :nono:

Kiril
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Did anyone assess the irrigation or check for compaction?

Use this lab for your soil tests, they have a branch in Modesto.

http://www.al-labs-west.com/index.html