PDA

View Full Version : New to chemical app

burge19
02-17-2009, 10:18 PM
This last season i see company all season spraying from a long hose and a big tank in the back of the truck with a pump. Are they spraying weed killer like you would with a backpack or what? its a dumb question but just kinda wondering.

LawnTamer
02-17-2009, 10:34 PM
It's a dumb question, but one I am always asking.:laugh::laugh:

My wife hates riding around with me, I am always slowing down to check out someone else's rig. I will even ask out loud, just to her, "I wonder what he's applying?"

Sometimes, I can just tell by the smell, or because I am familiar with the company. I always wonder though. It is weird, I realize it is none of my business, but I am a curious fellow.

To answer your question... they could be spraying about anything. Could be an insect app, 3-way, or some other herbicide, in the spring, it is likely a mix of fert, 3-way and pre-emergent.

On a side note, I always look to see what mowers people are using too.:laugh:

burge19
02-18-2009, 07:50 AM
So you can spray fertilizer right out of them also??? is this better then applying graual?

loupiscopolandscaping
02-18-2009, 08:09 AM
u can spray anything even organic fert out of them. pretty cool.....ill be honest everyone has there own opions i feel liquid is a quick fix and granual is a longer lasting product....lets say joe blow puts down liquid fert then the wind patterns change and the presure system and a storm comes in.. idk if the turfgrass takes in the fert instantly but if not leeching will occur. i just feel granual is a better product plus the costumer can see the particles and then they know u did ur job!

KES
02-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Lawntamer I do the same thing. I always slow down check out the rig and try to figure out what they are spraying. The smell tells alot. I have even stopped and talked to people about their spray rigs and setup if I see one that is neat.

Ric
02-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Yep Guilty myself

Tamer I almost cause wrecks looking at Equipment while driving.

I look at other spray equipment all the time. Heck I even check out other trades equipment just for the interest of equipment. I think it is human nature to check out other peoples toys and Ideas. Of course we all are looking for the monkey see monkey do idea that will make our job easier.

loupiscopolandscaping
02-19-2009, 11:40 AM
im the spring ill post pics up of some local rigs from companies in my area

burge19
02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Ok.. so i think im going to stick with granual for fert. But as far as spraying herbicide, weed killer but not to kill grass should i counsider a rig like that .. I noticed last year backpack spraying took a very lonnnggg time.. Its what i had to deal with then though.. i wasnt trying to get myself stuck in a position i couldnt pay for my stuff.

mow2nd
02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
burge19 - we use all granular applications for fertilizer. As for the weeds we use a back pack. Once you get your lawns under control you'll find that you use less chemicals. Yea the first time sucks, but after that it's smooth sailing for us. To me back packs last forever and there's not too much to go wrong. I'm sure those spray rigs are nice too, but you got to think about gas, pumps going bad, diaphrams, batterys, pressure, etc. Different for everybody I suppose, I guess I'm kind of old school with my Lesco spreader and my solo backpack.

turf&tree
02-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Until you move up to a permagreen, or lt Rich, or some other kind of rider a backpack is a nice option. We have a 100 gal unit from Gregson Clark that will spray 100 to 200 thousand sq ft per fill depending on the product you are putting down. The ride on spreaders are soooooo much nicer. You can do 3 products at one time. Granular fert with insect control and liquid weed app at the same time. We use our 100 gal unit for filling the Permagreen unit now.