PDA

View Full Version : Any good deals?

mitchgo
02-18-2009, 06:51 AM
So we have done our annual inventory. And apart from the minor b*tching from my boss about the things I have lost / broken this year. I really pissed him off when I apparently lost the $200 telescoping ladder ( all of our trucks stock).

So last week I was testing out my remote controller and come to find out it's broken.. ( Fried) I took it apart and you can smell the burnt on the board

I Would hate to tell him this.. I don't even know how it happened.. it was months ago. I already fried a remote in summer 08 by plugging into a remote Port from a new customer on a RB Mech... It fried right away and the power apparently was wired into the 120 side of the controller.
He would just flip!

So my sneaky evil plan is to rather then dealing with him being pissed about this and holding it against me I'll just buy a new remote. But I don't want him to know. So I'm going to purchase the same . Use the same casing and just replace the circuit board.

I have the TRC Sidekick FM 12 Receiver

I have found 2 sites for the Receiver only

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/1017-Sidekick-FM-12-Receiver-Only-p/1017.htm

and

http://garrisonland.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=45&products_id=956&osCsid=995ea6125da7d965d616638bc2f3155c

for $359 receiver only.

So I'm seeing if anyone knows of anywhere cheaper

irritation
02-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Contact TRC, they can probably repair it.

http://www.irrigationremotes.com/contact.php

mitchgo
02-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Contact TRC, they can probably repair it.

I may do that... but to diagnose a fault on a microchip board is hard , and timely.

The funny thing is during our busy season I drive by this building... once a week or so? I really should just stop in.

Dripit good
02-18-2009, 08:10 AM
So we have done our annual inventory. And apart from the minor b*tching from my boss about the things I have lost / broken this year. I really pissed him off when I apparently lost the $200 telescoping ladder ( all of our trucks stock).

So last week I was testing out my remote controller and come to find out it's broken.. ( Fried) I took it apart and you can smell the burnt on the board

I Would hate to tell him this.. I don't even know how it happened.. it was months ago. I already fried a remote in summer 08 by plugging into a remote Port from a new customer on a RB Mech... It fried right away and the power apparently was wired into the 120 side of the controller.
He would just flip!

So my sneaky evil plan is to rather then dealing with him being pissed about this and holding it against me I'll just buy a new remote. But I don't want him to know. So I'm going to purchase the same . Use the same casing and just replace the circuit board.

I have the TRC Sidekick FM 12 Receiver

I have found 2 sites for the Receiver only

and

http://garrisonland.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=45&products_id=956&osCsid=995ea6125da7d965d616638bc2f3155c

for $359 receiver only.

So I'm seeing if anyone knows of anywhere cheaper

Let him know after you purchase it. You should receive kudos for what you are doing, not the ire of your boss.

I would recognize your actions and use it as an example for others.

What a sense of responsibility! :drinkup:

You're awesome! :clapping:

mitchgo
02-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Well thanks!

I'm for sure no suck up. I just don't like getting in trouble. But I do a damn good job while working and usually go above and beyond things. I always have.
But I'm also bad ( which I have told him) on keeping tabs on things. I loose things... Often... meh.. My main thing is I feel like S!! when I get yelled at and I hate it so much . So I'm a pretty resourceful person and usually get around much things.

My boss for the most part is really nice and extremely fair on things. He has his moments, but who doesn't?
Last here he took me and another co-worker on his yacht to go fishing and to a remote island to get 'trashed' for the weekened

DanaMac
02-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Let him know after you purchase it. You should receive kudos for what you are doing, not the ire of your boss.

I would recognize your actions and use it as an example for others.

What a sense of responsibility! :drinkup:

You're awesome! :clapping:

I agree. but don't do the swap of the boards. man up to it and tell him you screwed up somehow, and you are correcting it. He'll probably respect you more for showing some class, rather than hiding the fact.

bobw
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Tough spot you're in. As a boss (albeit a small one), nothing drives me crazier than tools being abused or lost. Everytime an employee breaks something, the money to repair/replace comes out of my pocket directly. You don't respect the tools, you don't respect me. Pretty simple. However, the other side of things is that crap happens. Tools do wear down, some situations require extra force, etc. I have learned to be pretty balanced about it. I have to expect a certain amount of breakage as just the cost of business and it becomes no big deal. Blatant abuse is still not acceptable, and losing a ladder would definitely get you some negative attention from me, but I'd try to remember to look at you and your work as a whole and put it behind me.

As for the remote, as the business owner, I'd want to know it was busted and how it got busted. You come up to me and say its broken and the last time you used it was months ago.. I would definitely want to know what happened to it. I'd be more concerned that you didn't know what happened (shows a lack of attention) than by almost anything that did happen to it.

Sometimes, you just have to man up and take the beating coming to you. It can be easier for both sides to get it over with than drag it out forever.

TRILAWNCARE
02-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I may do that... but to diagnose a fault on a microchip board is hard , and timely.

When you send a remote in for repair. I suspect that they purchase boards from there manufacture so cheap they can't repair them. They will swap out the bad board in your receiver and send it back to you in a jifffy.

Call the company, they should be able to tell you worst case scenario of what a new board will cost and time frame.

Mike Leary
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Mitch, I thought TRC was in your neck of the woods, just up the street?

mitchgo
02-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Mitch, I thought TRC was in your neck of the woods, just up the street?

Yeah it is, just a few miles away from my work shop. I always remember it because it's a block away from a cross street of 132nd Ave NE and NE 132 ST. sooo all the addresses usually get mixed up

I should man up... and I probably will.. I have a pretty close relationship with him (I view him more as a friend then a boss)
I Don't remember when it stopped working, who knows.. maybe while I was unhooking it from a controller I arched the two hot post. I Did, however go for about a month with out my truck in september, basically that month is when we lay off our summer season guys and condense things before winterizing. So Other guys at work were using my truck.. Who knows..

Mike Leary
02-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Who knows? They might warranty it. :clapping:

mitchgo
02-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Who knows? They might warranty it. :clapping:

The receiver was 12 years old.
I did a couple start up's today for people who put in new sod that were drying out and I realized how much i missed the remote.

so I just put in the order for the new one.

Also just bought a new thomas guide :)