PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Blue

DeepGreenLawn
02-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I had a customer that I gave an estimate to who stated that their lawn was a grass they called Emerald Blue that they had sodded. Wasn't something I have seen before.

Keep in mind I am in North Ga. I had never heard of such a grass. I am 99.99% sure it is not zoysia, it was still green in the middle of winter so that points me to Fescue and KGB. I have yet to come across a KGB lawn so I am left with Fescue although this wasn't a normal looking fescue to me. It seemed to be pretty well wound unlike the tall fescue is here and other than the many weeds spread out it was in relatively good shape considering the lack of water and apps of CGM from time to time.

Any thoughts as to what this "Emerald Blue" might be? I was puzzled.

starry night
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Hmmm. I haven't heard of it either although I'm up north. Just googled Emerald Blue grass and came up with a bluegrass blend from a company in Nevada!

DeepGreenLawn
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
I tried googling it and didn't get anything... maybe I missed something...

Even still... I am in GA, I can't figure out where they got it from to begin with unless they went up to Tennessee or something where it is cooler... and it was sod... again, I haven't seen anything so I was wandering if any of you northern guys heard of it.

Thanks,

Keegan
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
I've heard of Midnight Blue. It was KBG

stimpy
02-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Columbia turf farms in SC was growing a bluegrass called emerald blue in green houses. They used to have photos. Looks like the web site is getting redone.....

DeepGreenLawn
02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
OK, so it seems to be leaning towards KGB. That does not grow here, how they have gotten it to work so far I don't know. They have had it a little over a year. It may be a lost cause... who knows, I am going to do weed treatments and they are going to handle the fert themselves. Does the stuff grow back or does it need to be reseeded? If so I take it the seed needs to be planted in the fall... where am I suppose to get KGB seed around here? This is a mess...

Pristine1
02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I assume that the turf isn't doing great???? If that is the case, I would take the approach that as this turf continues to struggle, it will require more work to keep it green, not to mention that you will have to special order the seed in order to keep it the same. I personally would start to overseed a fescue into it. We northerners typically use a blended seed mix with blue's, fescues, and ryes. So if you start to overseed with fescue, eventually, you will have a fescue lawn that I guess will survive better there?

If it is in really bad shape, you may have to nuke it and overseed. Good luck.

JDUtah
02-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey buddy. No worries about the KBG. If fine or red fescue grows there I would assume KBG could make it. KBG might not be as tough as TTTF but it regrows/fills in better. It grows by seed AND rhizomes. Hence no need to overseed if you keep it healthy. It is usually a darker grass than your fescue but likes water and sun. Naturally the root systems in KBG only go 4 to 6 inches so make sure they don't let more than the top inch of soil dry out between waterings. If your herbicide agrees with KBG the rest is on their shoulders... it will be a fun experience for ya.

See if it performs well enough. If it does other people might be interested in it out there (see if you can track down where they got it). If it doesn't perform, feel free to overseed with red or fine fescue. They blend well enough. We overseed our shaded KBG areas with the fescue. The fesce greens up a little sooner come srping though, so for a couple mows you notice it is greener/growing more, but once the KBG wakes up, you should be just fine. If you overseed the whole lawn you are good to go.

DeepGreenLawn
02-18-2009, 08:41 PM
that is what I was thinking was to overseed with Tall Fescue as that is the dominant variety here. Nothing else seems to make it very far. This however, may be from the sod still holding on, was not TOO bad but not great either. I have never messed with the stuff so I didn't know how it grew or anything. I will overseed with fescue as it will help fill in barer areas as well as replace their lawn as it is unlikely to make it very long. I think a lot was to do with the sod still holding on. It will be interesting to work with.

Thanks for the help, any further thoughts or tips with this turf will be greatly appreciated.

treegal1
02-18-2009, 09:02 PM
is it emerald zoysia??? it does not look like zoysia

DeepGreenLawn
02-18-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't think so... I will go by and look at it again tomorrow as it is near my home. It looked more like fescue to me, longer thicker blade... it was also dusk heading to dark when I arrived. Their timing... I couldn't mark what weeds they had because it got too dark on me, when I was measuring I had to count the clicks because I couldn't see the numbers.

It wasn't as thick as zoysia gets either... more clumpy like fescue. I am guessing KBG looks similar?

stimpy
02-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Home depot and lowes sell 10lb bags of heat tolerant bluegrass. Its a cross between texas grass and bluegrass called thermal blue 85% fescue and 15% KBG you can use a flour sifter or a screen to remove the KBG from fescue its smaller seed..Treat it like a cool season bermuda get it healthy cut it short and force it to spread .. March through mid may while its cool and wet.. Soil temps 60 to 75..Then let it get tall before the heat/drought hits....

NattyLawn
02-19-2009, 11:43 AM
I would also explain the differences between the KBG and the TTTF before doing the overseeding. The customer might not like the subtle color differences or why the KBG went dormant and the fescue is still cranking. It might save you a call or two down the road.

The heat tolerant bluegrass or maybe adding some Pennington Smart Seed or myco will help. I know it's been drought city in GA for the last few years.

starry night
02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
I noticed a reference to Texas Bluegrass. An Ohio State hort prof gave me a couple pounds of it last Fall to test but I never got it planted. Anyone have lawn experience with it?

Kiril
02-19-2009, 03:02 PM
If it is not Zoysia, then given your region and what is available from sod farms in your region I would say it is a fescue.

http://www.super-sod.com/sod-ovvw.html
http://www.sodatlanta.com/h_varieties.php#s2

Pics help.

Then of course there is this site, which does list an "emerald blue" KBG, not your area though.

http://www.daytonvalleyturf.com/products.html

DeepGreenLawn
02-19-2009, 09:59 PM
It is definitely not a zoysia, it clumps. I wasn't able to get by there and look at it again today, maybe Sat, at the FD tomorrow.