PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Plurgr 850HD, 800 and maybe 600 and Ryan 28 trike owners!...?

Exact Rototilling
02-18-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm trying to find a tactful way for the common home owner to be convinced that my service is better that the great majority of aeration services out there? This has been easy to do verbally and I've had very good success on this up sell advantage but, ...... on a flyer, post card or even an newspaper ad or even display ad in paper how do I do this tactfully with out running down the competition?

Example: some of the rolling tine units on the market pull 6 to 7 plugs per square foot .... the Plugr 850 and 800 pull 9 to 12 plugs per square foot in one pass. Plugr 600 is a bit less.

I has been discussed here in threads last year that the rolling tine unit should be run in 2 directions for proper benefit. None of the Co. that I have taken note of ever do this.

I'm probably going to be running a newspaper display ad shortly and I want to get maximum traction and emphasis that my service is better but I don't want to sound negative?

Every customer who has either rented a machine or had another Co. do aeration in the past ALWAYS comments "that's a lot of plugs"

http://www.lawnaerating.com/ in CA has section that is highlighted "Superior Machines!" and from what I can tell they use the Plugr 600's. Their catch Phrase is "Expect hole lot more"

Any thoughts? :waving:

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-18-2009, 12:31 PM
While making enemies is always an issue, a spade is a spade. Rather than put down your competitors, just talk UP what sets you apart.

Sure, some will still get their panties in a twist - but there are always those folks out there who get offended by every little thing... and if you spend your time worrying about them, then you're not spending enough time worrying about yourself.

Just have an ad all about how "an aeration is not just an aeration" (or something along those lines). Construct a sales pitch that shows how you're superior: 37% more holes equals 37% (I just made up this percentage, of course) more access for oxygen to reach your roots, 37% more pockets for precipitation to collect, 37% more room for roots to stretch out and thicken.... or something like that.

Many people want CHEAP. But most people who have a brain in their heads come to realize that VALUE is far more important. So market yourself as more valuable than the other choices out there. Good luck!

LawnSolutionsCP
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
I used to run a LCO and we did tons of seeding and aerations....that is what we focued on.

You won't be able to sell customer on #plugs / sqft. Most will not understand.

You should focus your service on "golf course" style aerating for residential lawns. Focus on the fact this isn't your average DIY aertors.

Your advertising should also have pictures of your guys aerating a nice residential lawn pulling nice plugs. It is all about advertising as you know.

If you do good advertising, you will get good customers instead of bargan shoppers.

Hope this helps.

Of course, I would like to see you using our aerators....we might even have some literature you could use for this specific task.

David

Exact Rototilling
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I used to run a LCO and we did tons of seeding and aerations....that is what we focued on.

You won't be able to sell customer on #plugs / sqft. Most will not understand.

You should focus your service on "golf course" style aerating for residential lawns. Focus on the fact this isn't your average DIY aertors.

Your advertising should also have pictures of your guys aerating a nice residential lawn pulling nice plugs. It is all about advertising as you know.

If you do good advertising, you will get good customers instead of bargan shoppers.

Hope this helps.

Of course, I would like to see you using our aerators....we might even have some literature you could use for this specific task.

DavidThanks David,

Yes for some of the customers I believe you are 100% correct. One of my clients last year said who cares how many plugs your machine pulls per square foot. :confused:

It doesn't seem to matter to some. I think the "Golf Course style aeration phrase will really help.

I do admit your stander aerator looks very tempting once I get some steam going with that side of the business. Just need to see how the numbers run this year. Also I need some dimensions and weights for your stander model.

Any literature or assistance you can provide will help the cause. I'd love nothing more than to be a aeration - renovation Co. as long as I can produce better numbers at it than the mow & blow biz model.

Rayholio
02-18-2009, 09:05 PM
1 plug.. 50 plugs... STILL apples to apples....

What you need is a grasshopper with an AERO-Vator.. it doesn't pull plugs at all, instead it vibrates the soil loose... I get to sit while I work too ;)

Customers love it.. it's great for seeding, and it is different from 99% of the aerators out there.. now THATS apples to oranges.

r_d337
02-19-2009, 02:43 PM
1 plug.. 50 plugs... STILL apples to apples....

What you need is a grasshopper with an AERO-Vator.. it doesn't pull plugs at all, instead it vibrates the soil loose... I get to sit while I work too ;)

Customers love it.. it's great for seeding, and it is different from 99% of the aerators out there.. now THATS apples to oranges.

I have a Grasshopper 722D and last spring I rented an AERO-Vator for all my commercial properties. I was impressed with the machine and it was very easy to use. My only concern was: does it still benefit the lawn to the same degree as core aeration does? A primary benefit of aeration is thatch control, if the machine is not pulling plugs, how does that combat excessive thatch? If I can be convinced that the AERO-Vator can offer the same benefits as a core aerator then I am sold.

Rayholio
02-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Well.. Aerators in general don't do a whole lot for thatch.. for that you need a dethatcher..

The aero-vator is more likely punching holes in the thatch rather than 'cutting' holes in the thatch.. I honestly don't see the difference, because neither machine removes the thatch... after a few months, it will all be matted down again.. but they both provide access to raw earth thru the holes they've created in the short term..

If you're looking for a kickbutt Dethatcher, I hear that the Grasshopper power broom does an awesome job...

Exact Rototilling
02-20-2009, 12:18 AM
AERO-Vator looks interesting but I don't have anything to tow it with and I could not get it on 95% of the properties I aerate even if I did have a tow vehicle.

Anyhow..... I found another website that geared towards the reciprocating aerator especially the Plugr. http://www.pluggerz.com Fairly solid up sell on most points however there are few debatable points.

I wonder if they're a member here on Lawnsite? I also wonder if they're doing well with the aeration only model? :rolleyes:

I believe plug aeration definitely helps the thatch issue for lawns. It's a 100% cure for the spots in the turf that become the plugs. Also the soil bacteria on the top helps with some and possibly a limited amount of thatch reduction. A vibrant night crawler population is one the best solutions for thatch. Then again a vibrant night crawler population reduces the need for aeration.

Over 50% of my aeration customers also requested a power rake dethatch combo.

Ooomwizard
02-28-2009, 09:58 AM
What to sell? Sell a vision or a mode of happiness.

The image of "Golf Course Lawn" is excellent idea to convey. Also, add a full color picture of a perfect lawn in an ideal setting. Relate to their desires and how YOU can fulfill them.

"Intensive professional quality aeration for a healthy vibrant lawn" might be a good catch line.

GL!