PDA

View Full Version : Outbreak of Anthoxanthum odoratum after using straw for mulch.

fishandfly
02-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey guys. I seeded tall fescue last fall and am now reaping the pain of using straw for mulch. I think it looks like Anthoxanthum odoratum, and I've got a pretty decent outbreak. Any suggestions?

From virginia tech website:
How do I control sweet vernal grass (Anthoxanthum odoratum) in turfgrass in Chesterfield County Virginia?
Website Resources:
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/aoxod.htm
Recommendation: This grass can act as a winter annual or perennial and flowers prolifically in the spring. Lawn herbicides that contain MSMA, DSMA, fenoxaprop, fluazifop, sethoxydim, and quinclorac will control this weed without harming the turfgrass species that are listed on the respective herbicide labels. Repeat treatment may be needed at 10 day intervals for MSMA and DSMA and 3 week intervals for other products. Always read and follow instructions on the herbicide label.

Think Green
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
That is why I do not suggest customers to use any type of hay or straw on seed beds. You don't really know where the bale come from and you are definately assured to have weeds that aren't wanted.

FIshandfly,
Are you asking a question on controlling this weed (Buffalo Grass) or are you answering a question?
The response portion of your recommendation section already lists possible options to control grassy weeds. You responded lastly by stating to read labels and follow instructions................ I don't understand your intent!