PDA

View Full Version : Ohio exam results

zurfsturfcare
02-18-2009, 07:58 PM
For those of you that have taken the ohio exam how long did you have to wait till your results were up? Thanks

Pythium
02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
About 2-3 weeks. It does take longer to get the license application.

turf&tree
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
It usually takes us about a solid week to get results. You can go online and get your pass/fail rating and the written results will be mailed to you in about 2 weeks. I am licensed in about 10 categories so I have done this a few times.

mowtivated lawn Care
02-24-2009, 01:09 AM
How was the test, hard or easy? Sure it can't be anyhting I can't handle but just curious! Also does it require any past chemical app experience to be able to apply to lawns? I have the paperwork ready to be filled out but want to make sure I meet the basic requirements.

turf&tree
02-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Hey, Mow. All things being relative, the tests can be easy when you study for them. Some had more questions than others. Some were very redundant. I got licensed back in the 80's was an applicator for years then went into construction for 10 yrs and let my license expire. I recently retook all 10 tests and passed on the first try. The only thing I noticed that was different in all those years was now there are endangered species on the test, and there is nothing about LD50 anymore. Use common sense on the Core test, know how to read a label.Those are the main things I can stress. As far as past experience to apply, no you do not need any past experience. However I would recommend getting the right equipment for the job. I hate to say it but your local Lesco/JDL dealer should be able to help with that. They will give you instruction on how to use it properly, hopefully teach you how to calibrate it , etc. Also USE THE WEB. I wish we had this wayyyy back in the day when I started. What a great tool!!!! These threads are another great source for info as well as Ohioline. The OSU website. I hope I am not too long winded for you . One more thing. Classic rookie mistakes are not knowing what your up against !!! Ie. insects, diseases, weeds, environmental conditions, Etc. We do lawn applications, tree and shrub feeding as well as Trunk injections. You must know what you are treating and the proper window to treat it. If not you are wasting your and the customers money and possibly polluting the environment. Also keep up on the latest greatest equip and chemicals. This year we will be using a Dupont insecticide that has no label warning= low to no toxicity. What a great product!!! If you want more info I or any member would be happy to help.
Jim

turf&tree
02-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey, Mow. All things being relative, the tests can be easy when you study for them. Some had more questions than others. Some were very redundant. I got licensed back in the 80's was an applicator for years then went into construction for 10 yrs and let my license expire. I recently retook all 10 tests and passed on the first try. The only thing I noticed that was different in all those years was now there are endangered species on the test, and there is nothing about LD50 anymore. Use common sense on the Core test, know how to read a label.Those are the main things I can stress. As far as past experience to apply, no you do not need any past experience. However I would recommend getting the right equipment for the job. I hate to say it but your local Lesco/JDL dealer should be able to help with that. They will give you instruction on how to use it properly, hopefully teach you how to calibrate it , etc. Also USE THE WEB. I wish we had this wayyyy back in the day when I started. What a great tool!!!! These threads are another great source for info as well as Ohioline. The OSU website. I hope I am not too long winded for you . One more thing. Classic rookie mistakes are not knowing what your up against !!! Ie. insects, diseases, weeds, environmental conditions, Etc. We do lawn applications, tree and shrub feeding as well as Trunk injections. You must know what you are treating and the proper window to treat it. If not you are wasting your and the customers money and possibly polluting the environment. Also keep up on the latest greatest equip and chemicals. This year we will be using a Dupont insecticide that has no label warning= low to no toxicity. What a great product!!! If you want more info I or any member would be happy to help.
Jim Do it once and do it right. Everyone will be happy

mowtivated lawn Care
02-25-2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks Turf and tree, I am just trying grow and offer more services to my customers, maybe the next Sean Adams, lol yeah right. Anyways I have just been doing Internet research while on midnights because the only fertilizer experience I have had is buying a bag from lowes and treating my lawn. Going that route would show no profit. So far have not located a sight to give the whole run down on educating oneself to know more then the basics to fertilizing. If all goes well this year for me I will hopefully get into the fertilizer business next year if I can educate myself and find a good wholesale buyer so that I can make a profit. My goal would to get at least half of my accounts to use my fertilizer service vs the huge companies they already have. I have heard that there is no money in the fertilizer around here because the big companies get the product cheap and have the all locked up. On charging a basic season fert do you usually base it off the sq ft to. I would think that would be an easy way to go. Hopefully be one heck of a business if I can cut a yard and when I am done fertilize it, that would open the door for more profit and less overhead. Sorry for the book I just wrote. Still not ready though to go full time because I have an awesome county job and really not pushing to expand to crazy, I have yet to even start plowing! Thanks again

turf&tree
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Absolutely offer it to your customers!! I am starting to use a new fert from Lebanon chemical called Mesa. The big companies are using junk!!!! This stuff is GREAT!!!! I can give you my suppliers name. Where are you in Ohio??
Jim

Josh.S
02-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks Turf and tree, I am just trying grow and offer more services to my customers, maybe the next Sean Adams, lol yeah right. Anyways I have just been doing Internet research while on midnights because the only fertilizer experience I have had is buying a bag from lowes and treating my lawn. Going that route would show no profit. So far have not located a sight to give the whole run down on educating oneself to know more then the basics to fertilizing. If all goes well this year for me I will hopefully get into the fertilizer business next year if I can educate myself and find a good wholesale buyer so that I can make a profit. My goal would to get at least half of my accounts to use my fertilizer service vs the huge companies they already have. I have heard that there is no money in the fertilizer around here because the big companies get the product cheap and have the all locked up. On charging a basic season fert do you usually base it off the sq ft to. I would think that would be an easy way to go. Hopefully be one heck of a business if I can cut a yard and when I am done fertilize it, that would open the door for more profit and less overhead. Sorry for the book I just wrote. Still not ready though to go full time because I have an awesome county job and really not pushing to expand to crazy, I have yet to even start plowing! Thanks again

When you fertilize it creates stress on the grass... mowing also creates stress. Therefor is it recommended to fertilize 2 days before or after mowing. I could be wrong, but this is the way I understand it.

turf&tree
02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Interesting Josh. I have been in this business since 1975 and have never heard that. However I don't claim to know everything. I am meeting with my Turfgrass Inc. Rep and the Rep from Lebanon Chemical tomorrow and will pose that question to him. I will keep you posted.
Jim

Josh.S
02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Interesting Josh. I have been in this business since 1975 and have never heard that. However I don't claim to know everything. I am meeting with my Turfgrass Inc. Rep and the Rep from Lebanon Chemical tomorrow and will pose that question to him. I will keep you posted.
Jim

Well I'm probably wrong then. I had heard this last year and I read something about it in the state's turfgrass book. Don't take my word for it.

Clevelandturfgrass
02-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Well I'm probably wrong then. I had heard this last year and I read something about it in the state's turfgrass book. Don't take my word for it.

Jim & Josh,
Stress is stress. The severity of that stress is what matters. SCU (anti-burn urea) will stress the turf if applied and left to sit on the leaf of the plant. SCU only covers the percentage of particles stated on bag, the rest in the bag (N speaking) is UREA. It will pull moisture from the plant, from the salt content. Hence the term "fertilizer burn", it is actually Salt burn. By using a smaller particle size, homogeneous release "Mesa", and where available a quick irrigation rotation.
Mowing a couple of days after application would be strongly recommended. Based on SCU fertilizer concept, the second that "protective" coating is compromised (mowed, watered, crushed, bounced, etc.) it will lower the length of control. Homogeneous release "Mesa", is released by Microbial Bacteria in the soil. You can mow it, rain on it, crush it, bounce it, etc., and it will not release any faster. I would still not mow after application, because of some of the product being on the leaf and will distribute the product.

Sum of it all: If you are using SCU, get it off the leaf to the soil as soon as possible. Make sure your mower blades are sharp and you mow in different directions weekly. This will allow you to strengthen the crown of the plant by the misdirection pull every mowing.

Hope this help and not confuses!
Luke

mowtivated lawn Care
02-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Turf Tree
Northwest of the Ohio on the Michigan line. What Josh said seems like it would make sense but I have never had anyone ever say the stress factor. On soil testing there has to be a kit that you can buy to test it yourself and if so is it expensive? Is the fertilizer business really a difficult mind teasing business to run? Seems like if the big companys have teens applying the product for $8 an hr cant be to knowledgable. Heck my yard is the best looking one on the block and all I ever do is maybe four aplications of weed and feed, maybe 2 bags turf builder and one application of grub control a season. Looks good, never have to test of do anything special! I use scotts from lowes usually.

Josh.S
02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Turf&Tree,

If you mow and then apply SCU directly afterwards will you have a greater chance of damaging the grass due to stress?

I (now) understand the concept of not mowing directly after the granular application. Whether or not to cut before I suppose it also depends on, as you stated, sharp blades, mowing patterns, and cutting height. I am assuming if somebody mowed the grass at 1" with dull blades in the middle of summer and then you applied fert on it right away you would have a greater chance of "over stressing" the grass than if somebody mowed at 3" with sharp blades.