PDA

View Full Version : Ford LCF?

MikeKle
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Once I get out of my gas guzzling Dodge, I am going to buy an Isuzu NPR or a Ford LCF, I know alot about the Isuzu but not much about the LCF, only that they are a bit bigger than the NPR. How is the LCF on MPG? What is the engine choices for them? and finally what is the smallest wheelbase for a LCF? I figured I could make due with the smallest Isuzu wheelbase model.(forget the actual #) I think the smallest would support a 12ft flatbed with dovetail, that would work fine for us since we only haul 2-3 walkbehinds at any time. I was very interested in the Fuso 4x4 but found out they are maxed out with a payload of 1000lbs! Thanks.

TXNSLighting
02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Ive always heard great things about the LCF's, I believe they only come with the 4.5l powerstroke, thats very fuel efficient.

BSDeality
02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
why do you want a mitsu 4x4 truck for a mowing truck? the LCF has the 6cyl Powerstroke diesel, they took the v8 and lopped off 2 cyls.

We run an Isuzu NPR box truck for a mowing rig and it works really well for us. We lock up the truck at the end of the day and walk-away.

Petr51488
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
I've driven an LCF for a few days and had a pretty heavy load in them and handled it with no problem at all. It's a really well built truck. If i had a need for it, i would own one. They have such a tight turning radius and a nice payload. I never calculated the mpg, but i don't think it was good. It wasn't terrible, but given the load we had, maybe that was the reason why.

hosejockey2002
02-21-2009, 10:57 PM
The two trucks are very similar. Power specs are nearly identical. Isuzu's motor is bigger but is a 4 cylinder and the Ford a V6. Not an issue, a 6 cylinder Cummins in a Dodge pulls fine against the V8 Ford pickup diesel. The LCF is not any bigger than the Isuzu. Isuzu has more configurations available. You can get a gas engine (automatic only) or diesel (manual or auto. GVWRs range from 12K to 19.5K, and you can get a 7 passenger crew cab in some models. With the LCF you can get any combo you want as long as it's diesel, automatic with a standard cab. I would check out and drive both of them and get the one that suits your needs better.

Gravel Rat
02-21-2009, 11:17 PM
The only benefit of the LCF is it uses standard parts that are used on the F-450 and F-550 like the wheels, rear axle and some other assorted parts. The LCF also uses 4 wheel disk brakes not sure about the Isuzus also the 19.5 wheels are better than the 16 and 17.5 wheels Isuzu uses.

Now for the LCF itself I hear good and bad things about them. I'am not sure if I would buy one or not. I don't like the fact that you are first on the accident scene but that is with any cabover.

The pro about Isuzu they have been building cabover 1 to 2.5 ton trucks longer than Ford/International. The Isuzu 4 banger rice cooker diesels are proven and cheaper to repair. The bad about Isuzu is the dealers are not as common as Ford. Ford dealers are all over.

The Isuzu/GMC trucks are more proven truck they been on the road since 88 or around that. Lots of them here where the cab has rotted off the frame from rust but the rest of the truck is just fine.

TXNSLighting
02-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Interesting..Ive seen a couple LCF crew cabs around here...I wonder if they are special order or somethin...

wellbuilt
02-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Ive had my LCF for 11/2 years . Ive had a few small problems . I pull 12000lb dump trailers and Equip trailers . I get about 10mpg around town and pull 15+ on the highway at 55 . The mitso gets better mileage but the 4x4 maxes out at 14500 gvw . The biggest problem with the truck is that most dealers cant get the parts or work on them . You have to take it to a commercial truck shop . All dealers can work on theF250 F350 F450 F550 . I had a truck dealer 4 mils from my house but it closed down . Now i have to take a 60 mil round trip for parts . The other thing is there are no aftermarket parts for the LCF and breaks ,filters must come from the dealer . I wish the trucks came with a stick . The mileage drops off to nothing when your pulling a 10000 lb trailer .

Chadevergreen
02-22-2009, 04:05 PM
I've got 4 isuzu's with 19.5's. I have one gas burner, it is the owrst truck i''ve ever owned. The diesel's however, out perform all other's and this from a ford man.

BrandonV
02-22-2009, 05:10 PM
we have an lcf, bought it because we liked our cabover mitfuso but wanted something a bit bigger w/ more cap and power. it has been a fine truck so far, and probably my favorite to drive.

BrandonV
02-23-2009, 07:33 AM
here's a pic of our two cabovers, just happened to be together this morning