PDA

View Full Version : What would it take?

MC Handy Man
02-18-2009, 11:26 PM
:drinkup:I am a college student and I am currently operating a handyman business to pay for school. I would love to have a nice mower. What would it take to make it worth while to purchase one? how many accounts and charging what should i have to make it wort while? what should i pay for one? I would appreciate the help.

BP348
02-19-2009, 07:06 AM
I think you're the only one who can answer these questions.

After reading the posts here at lawnsite the only thing I'm sure about is that everyone has their own opinion about equipment & accounts

mowerbrad
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
You really need to look at what you want to get. Do you want a floating deck or fixed deck? Do you want to get a 32", 36" 40", 48", 52" or 60"? Do you want a hydro drive or gear drive? What dealerships are around you? Do you want to buy new or used? What types of accounts will you be servicing, small or large? Will you have to get through gates? You could justify one with just a few pretty large accounts or many smaller ones. As far as the price range goes, you would be looking at $1500 for a used 32" gear drive thats in good shape or all near $7000 for a 60" hyrdo drive.

MC Handy Man
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM
I was actually looking at a 48" fast cat by bobcat today and it is priced around $4700.00. I also looked at somthing which was more in my price range, a bobcat belt driven walk behind 40" for around $2700.00. the walk behind is supposibvly new but it has grass and dirt and exhaust all over along with a leak of oil. The guy is a small dealer out of his repair shop and i dont know weather or not to trust him. I see you have a cat, what do you think about the deal?

nickroqs
02-20-2009, 02:13 PM
It'd take more than a few lawns to turn a profit. Also, don't forget about the trailer you'd need for the mower.

mowerbrad
02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Bob-cats are not bad mowers, I just don't have very good dealer support around me, so I will be switching brands this year. I looked at the Fast cats before and they looked like good mower. I actually have no idea what they are going for usually now, but comparing it to other brands I would say that sounds like a pretty good deal on it. As far as the walkbehind goes, Bob-cat does not make a 40", so if that is what is says then it must be an older model. Now I can tell you through experience, don't just look at one brand, look at several to get an idea of what features you like and dislike. I'm not trying to get you away from bob-cat but you just have to get an idea of what is all out there and offered. BTW, if you are going to go with a more expensive mower, make sure you pic up a few more accounts to justify it.