PDA

View Full Version : WPS Pesticide Training in Texas

TexasTurfgrass
02-18-2009, 11:51 PM
I am planning to train an employee to apply pesticides over the next couple of weeks and I want to be sure to cover the WPS requirements. The Texas Department of Ag website stated that I am allowed to train the employee since I am a Licensed Applicator, but I couldn't find anything on the WPS specifics for what needs to be covered. Does anyone know if there is training material that is published by the WPS? Or if there are any training modules on the internet?

Thanks,
Mark

Ric
02-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Texas

www.upf.com is University Press of Fla. They sell the texts books and study material for Florida's CPO test.

SM1 Applying Pesticides Safely is universal in the fact it can be used by all states.

Florida Lawn Handbook would or should apply to Texas as well. Much of warm season turf grass research is a combinted effort by Texas A&M and U of F.

nik
02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I take it you have some kind of commercial nursery enterprise? Or does Texas mandate WPS for all types of pesticide applications?

At any rate, getting WPS training is a good thing overall.

Ric
02-19-2009, 11:34 AM
I take it you have some kind of commercial nursery enterprise? Or does Texas mandate WPS for all types of pesticide applications?

At any rate, getting WPS training is a good thing overall.

Nik

Some but apparently not many States actually require applicator have some type of training instead of a Tax stamp type license.

txgrassguy
02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
All the great state of Texas requires is "documentation" of training.
The documentation was placed in quotes as all you, the license holder, has to comply with is a marginal recording of what/when/where you have conducted this training.
The idea is when your supposed yearly audit occurs the alleged inspector MAY want to question both you and the recipient of this training.
Under the TDA guidelines for exterior applications this is purposely kept very loose.
Think private ranch owner and semi literate employee and you'll get close.
My recommendation to you is to contact your local extension agent for advise followed up by whatever idiot, I mean TDA employee, that is assigned to your area.

TexasTurfgrass
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the information.