PDA

View Full Version : Lowpro trailer drags on ground when on hills, any thought?

TGramstorff
02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey,
So i have a 16' open landscape trailer, dual axle. This is a car trailer that was made into a landscape trailer. I dont really like the trailer, but due to financial i cant afford to buy a differnet one right now. The problem is when on a slope the rear end of the trailer tends to drag on the ground, it is too low. Is there a way I can raise the trailer up? It only need to be raised a few inches and that would make a huge difference. Let me know guys. thanks!

JB1
02-19-2009, 12:33 PM
how is it hooked at the truck, level, raised up or what.

mikeylikesit5805
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
maybe lower the ball on your truck, that might give you the difference you need

TGramstorff
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
thats not it. its the trailer itself not the height of the ball

mikeylikesit5805
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Ok, I was just thinking that if the ball was too high, it would put the trailer at an angle causing it to drag. other than that I am not sure, you cannot do a whole to the suspension of a trailer. Maybe make a skid plate just to keep it safe???

OrangeToys
02-19-2009, 03:01 PM
thats not it. its the trailer itself not the height of the ball

How do you know its not that ball hieght?

Did it drag before you converted it to a landscape trailer?

AdvancedLawns
02-20-2009, 01:52 PM
pics would be nice to tell us what your working with..

grincon
02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Add a couple of inches drop on your tow hitch... Just a thought

CoupesCuts
02-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Try this: If your leaf springs are mounted below the axles, unbolt them and bolt them to the top of your axles. That should buy you at least 3-4". I've seen it done before.

GrasshopperLC
02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
They make roller kits for the enclosed traliers that works real well,what it boils down to are two rollers one on each side under the rear of the trailer that will prevent you from getting hung up.

GravelyNut
02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
They make roller kits for the enclosed traliers that works real well,what it boils down to are two rollers one on each side under the rear of the trailer that will prevent you from getting hung up.

They put them on the back of motorhomes also.

DBFlawn
02-20-2009, 07:12 PM
we have has a similar problem with our bobcat trailers. what we ended up doing is what someone had mentiond before. we just welded a "skid plate" so that it didnt damage anything or get caught up. Still scrapes but doesnt harm anything. that would be my solution to the problem.

seabee1
02-21-2009, 04:18 PM
what coopscuts said is about the only thing you can do other than putting a 2x4 or 2x3 spacer block under each point were the springs mount to the trailer frame .( a lot of work) .to mount the springs to the top of the axle you will have to get some extra axle spring seats and weld them to the top of the axle tube .

gladi8r
02-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Try this: If your leaf springs are mounted below the axles, unbolt them and bolt them to the top of your axles. That should buy you at least 3-4". I've seen it done before.

Yep- this is called "flipping the axles", and will cost between $200 and $300 for a trailer repair place to do it, including new bushings. Have it done, it's not really a do-it-yourself project for most guys.