PDA

View Full Version : Saturated ground help

grincon
02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I have a row of clients on a street that their back yard is next to a field with poor drainage. It is hard for them to even walk in their back yard in the rainy season. Is there something I can do for the grass to build up the turf in this type of soil? The front yards all seem to do ok but its only the yards that are next to the field that have the problem. Appreciate any advice.

grincon
02-20-2009, 12:49 AM
any advice would help

Smallaxe
02-20-2009, 01:28 PM
If it is drainage dig a hole at the low point and fill with rock and sand.
If it is high water table add enough sandy soil to raise it sufficiently and be careful not to use material that wicks.

The other options are stone walk ways and such depending on the use of the yard.

treegal1
02-20-2009, 07:37 PM
If it is drainage dig a hole at the low point and fill with rock and sand.
If it is high water table add enough sandy soil to raise it sufficiently and be careful not to use material that wicks.

The other options are stone walk ways and such depending on the use of the yard.thats the wise way.........

cudaclan
02-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Local/Federal ordinances may prohibit you from interfering if it is protected area. A “wet-land” has presidency over your property.

grincon
02-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the info, i'm sure its not a federal wetland, its a grass seed field. Most grass seed fields around here just hold water through the winter and it seems to back up everyones property next to it. I think there should at least be a ditch around the field for drainage but I don't think its required of them.

ALLPro Landscaping
02-21-2009, 12:32 AM
You need to figure out where the water is coming from, is their a natural spring running under ground or is it the field in the back yard, If it is the field in the back yard, install a french drain along the entire backyard, that should solve the problem, I had a customer last year who's house was built into a cliff. They had natural springs out of every crevice in a the rock, it was a night mare, i went and installed a french drain along the entire back yard it solved their problems.

ALLPro Landscaping
02-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Also like above me they said make test wholes, you have to make these holes to get an idea, and make quite a few of them, also is their a slope coming from the field in these homes, if you can take some pics so we can get a better idea.

QLC- Rick
02-21-2009, 03:21 PM
French drain. A simple drain tile along the back yard leading to an area it can runoff. Maybe just a buffer of trees/plants/native grass and mulch might be enough.

or you can go all out a design a install a full fledged "rain garden". I don't see anyway just "building up the turf" would solve the problem, without a lot of topsoil, and basically creating a grade to stop the water flow from the field.

ICT Bill
02-23-2009, 10:46 AM
If you look at some places like florida where they are at sea level and need the yard to drain there is typically a swale behind every property that is a foot lower than the properties
Maybe you could get the property owners together and have one large install instead of just one property

At almost every wholesale landscape place they have large, 50 to 75 gallon, plastic containers that you can hook 4 inch drain pipe to and fill with stone