PDA

View Full Version : Flyer Burnout!!!

millsmowing
03-07-2002, 09:32 PM
I have been walking door to door passing out my flyers but the long driveways and the cold weather is starting to take its toll. I read a past post that talked about having flyers inserted into your local newspaper. I think the editor charged him 30 dollars per thousand with a minimum of 5 thousand for a cost of 150 dollars. Does this work? Everyone in my town would get this newspaper because its delivered and its free. This way i'm certain my flyer will at least get in their house and not be blown away by a high wind if i personally leave it outside by the door.
I'm going to check on this tommorrow but want some opinions from the pro's on this site before i do.

MATTHEW
03-07-2002, 09:50 PM
Rates vary with area. A friend told me that the charge was $350 for 7500. You supply the flyer.
It is good for name recognition, so if you can afford it-do it. Just do not expect big results.
I go to areas with paper boxes and slide my flyer in the paper just after it is delivered. It's free.

gogetter
03-07-2002, 10:50 PM
My local 'free' paper would charge $39 per thousand but you have to select one whole zio code range. You tell them the zip code, they tell you how many thousand.

But just from my own personal view, it wouldn't be as effective as hanging one on thee door.
I know that I rarely look at the fliers in the paper (maybe sometimes if they actually fall into my lap), but I generally always look at a flier if it's hanging by itself on my door. Not a rule that I've made, it's just seems to happen that way.

f350
03-07-2002, 11:01 PM
good luck finding those rates in metro detroit, try c&g newspapers in warren

heygrassman
03-07-2002, 11:22 PM
Have you tried finding a local college kid that is looking for beer $$.. amazing the amount of help you can get for $8-10 per hour cash..

jf

MIDSOUTH
03-07-2002, 11:31 PM
Just got a price yesterday for 560.00 for 20000 halfpage flyers in our local paper.

pugger
03-08-2002, 11:59 AM
Flyers are ileagal in many areas, check with your city about ordinances. A well know mass marketer ate it big time on that idea. Also it may be ileagal to put your flyer into the paper box if that box has the name of the paper on it.

To be honest, the best advertising, and the cheapest, is really simple and realativly inexpensive.

Clean, well maintained equipment with lettering. Clean professionaly mannered personnel with lettered t-shirts. Lawn signs which with permision you place on the curb for the duration of your work. Walk, talk, and live your business at all times, the deductions are rather handy too.

And the number one best advertising dollar is to get involved with your local Chamber of Commerce. Get involved not fluff around the fringes. These people are the movers and the shakers of the local economy. Bankers, CEO's, Sucessful independant businesman. As the saying goes you need to press flesh and kiss babies. Volenteer for civic activities and go to the meetings and events. If they meet and like you and see you are an upstanding business professional, they will (I assure you) get things moving useally without you even knowing it happens.

Nebraska
03-08-2002, 06:52 PM
We put out 19,200 flyers the past 2 Thursdays thru the paper. Dropped a total of about $1000. Total of 2 calls and signed one up. Have not had very much luck with flyers this spring. More luck with direct mail and referrals. I only wish I put the $ to another method. Wonder if it was too early but did it the same time in years past with much better success. Anyone with the same problem?

Bob Minney
03-08-2002, 07:38 PM
Seems like different results in different areas. I would think a test of 5000 should be a good indicator, so for $150 I'd give it a chance.
One of my competitors does this in our free regional paper 6 months a year and has been doing it for three years so I'm assuming it works.
I prefer flyers because I can skip properties that I do not want to work on.

landscaper3
03-08-2002, 08:05 PM
We pass out over 2500 flyers each season. We found more then half never look in paper box!!! What we do is grab 2 trucks and 4 or 5 guys get the mountian bikes out and pass out that way. You can get alot done as long as you dont have many hills both ways!!! And up here we are full of them!

MATTHEW
03-08-2002, 09:03 PM
In a way, distributing flyers makes a statement that you need business. That you are begging for money. That you are possibly losing customers and need to replace them.
You can easily gain customers by gaining influence with prominent people who know lots of people. We all know that referrals are #1. If you ACT like a successful community business man, it will show and you should, with time, and lots of contacts- gain enough influence that you will be "booked" from now on.

RoyaleRcr
03-09-2002, 07:01 AM
I have tried just about everything. But after the years, a few things I boiled down are.......Get to know your local hardware store, garden center, gas station ,c-store for referals and place flyers on counters or bbs . One store in my area has me on their board and in the high season for aeration I get two to seven calls a day and close about 90%! Another thing is that whenever I do a job I always flyer the surrounding properties. Then when I leave a bill I always leave two or three flyers with it. It is amazing how many calls I get telling "my mom had you do her yard....." or such. What I practice is true gaurilla marketing and it has worked for me. For the hardware store that sends me alot a calls every so often I will send some pizzas over there. These guys have made me tens of thousands of $$$$ over the last three years and $30.00 or $40.00 bucks on pizza and pop is the cheapest advertising you can get. Try it....You will like it!

Nebraska
03-09-2002, 10:31 AM
the flyers were just a little early. Today after a 1/2 storm we have received 9 calls off of them...Just a matter of time.