PDA

View Full Version : radio ads

mrkosar
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
anyone try these? i'm looking at around $110 per 30 second spot. wondering those who have used it, was it worth the money? did you offer a deal? how spots did you do? suggestions, advices, pros/cons...?

americanlawn
02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Our best bet was television. Radio signals reach hundreds of miles (out of your area?), but they charge for this. We tried radio in the past (not the big radio station (WHO - Ronald Reagan's station) here cuz their air time costs the same as TV. If your market is within a fifty mile radius, I recommend TV cuz it covers the area you service. My 2 cents worth.

=mrkosar;2783714]anyone try these? i'm looking at around $110 per 30 second spot. wondering those who have used it, was it worth the money? did you offer a deal? how spots did you do? suggestions, advices, pros/cons...?[/QUOTE]

tlg
02-19-2009, 10:22 PM
We tried radio a few years back. Not a real good response for the money. We track all our leads so I'm sure on that. I think we missed our target customer ( 40 years +) by being on a music station. We needed to be on a news or talk radio station, I think, to get the results we wanted. The experts said go with the larger listening audience. They were wrong. Go with the station you think your customers are listening to.

rcreech
02-20-2009, 06:52 AM
mrkosar,

Don't know about you and the others...but typically when I listen to the radio I am either drivig or working in the shop and typically don't even hear it really.

I think most people are more visiual (or atleast I am) if that helps! I have never bought anything from a radio commerical...but I can see where TV would work.

BTW...we better grab some lunch pretty soon as spring is coming with a vegence!!!! When are you planning on getting started?

nickroqs
02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Even if I was in the market for a new landscaper, and your ad happened to be on, I wouldn't really think about copying down the number/info while I was driving. I like to stick to print ads.

mrkosar
02-20-2009, 07:26 PM
mrkosar,

Don't know about you and the others...but typically when I listen to the radio I am either drivig or working in the shop and typically don't even hear it really.

I think most people are more visiual (or atleast I am) if that helps! I have never bought anything from a radio commerical...but I can see where TV would work.

BTW...we better grab some lunch pretty soon as spring is coming with a vegence!!!! When are you planning on getting started?

maybe later next week. let me know how your schedule looks.

grassguy_
02-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Mrkosar,
Have used radio before, and unless you do market saturation with repeated play times and drive times included, its very marginal and especially in major markets where stations are hammering the airwaves. With the diversification of music and talk radio being so splintered, i doubt its effectiveness as naywhere near what it used to be. IMHO

foreplease
02-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I spent tens of thousands of dollars on radio ads over a ten year period in a former retail business and would not consider buying any radio ads for this industry. I cannot tell you what will work best for you in your area but feel safe in saying radio will not work affordably.

Rayholio
02-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Waste of money.

lawn king
02-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Direct mail works best and yes it costs big bucks!

Ric
02-21-2009, 08:47 AM
IMHO

At the cost of Mass media Radio and TV Ads you have to be awful hungry to spend that kind of money. There is active and passive advertising. Passive advertising would be like the Yellow Pages or Newspaper where people have a need and are looking for someone to fill that need. Active advertising is trying to create that need by going to the customer with TV like ads instead of the customer coming to you.

Now I been around for a long time and got my start by first advertising passively and then purchasing a few companies and their accounts. But most of my new accounts are now generated by what I call the "Jones Factor" I put my money into chemicals not advertisement and make my customers yard look the best on the block. "Keeping up with the Jones" is my advertisement. I don't make sales calls, I interview prospective customers. I have very few stops on my route where I only do one account.

Now my Ego might be showing with this post. But Good work has always been it's own advertisement. I sold my business in Feb of 2005 and didn't go back in business until Oct of 2007. A few phone calls to the right former customers and I had a route ready to go. Today I have a one inch ad in the yellow pages so people can find me easy. But that is the only advertisement I do. Now I must admit I have a couple of LCO that recommend me and they are a big help.