PDA

View Full Version : How does your spring business look?

Organic a go go
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Im not at a critical stage yet but Im already getting some " i don't knows...." from some long time customers.

phasthound
02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Im not at a critical stage yet but Im already getting some " i don't knows...." from some long time customers.

There is definitely more uncertainty out there these days.
For the most part I am hearing from my lawn care companies is that renewals are close to normal with some exceptions in certain areas of the country.

OTOH, my clients are slow to order material. However, I am finding more companies are buying organics or are more open to them than in the past.

treegal1
02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
we have had a good start but we also have had some I ain't got the money calls............

and we are going to do a price reduction for every one this year. about 10% under the standard chem cost:cool2:

phasthound
02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
we have had a good start but we also have had some I ain't got the money calls............

and we are going to do a price reduction for every one this year. about 10% under the standard chem cost:cool2:

Yo baby! Way to go!:dancing::clapping::cool2::D

Smallaxe
02-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Price reduction where necessary is not a problem and I will probably give a break on one of the big projects that is lined up.
I will place the ad as soon as I get home now and the emphasis will be 'organic' and 'inexpensive'.
People waste a lot of unnecessary money on TGCL, so the economical situation should help my business.

JDUtah
02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Restarting this year (separated from my partnership last year, chemical care). Fire marshal and building code inspections today. Everything lined up to shot gun as soon as I get the city license in my hand. Getting excited! :)

treegal1
02-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Price reduction where necessary is not a problem and I will probably give a break on one of the big projects that is lined up.
I will place the ad as soon as I get home now and the emphasis will be 'organic' and 'inexpensive'.
People waste a lot of unnecessary money on TGCL, so the economical situation should help my business.

just one step to total domination!!!!!!!!!be ready its coming and its going to be huge!!!!!!!!

Smallaxe
02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
just one step to total domination!!!!!!!!!be ready its coming and its going to be huge!!!!!!!!

I like the way you think... :)

There is a less expensive way of doing things and this forum has helped me think that through in a big way.
Water management is key. If that is wrong, everything is wrong.

As JD stated - I'm getting excited now.

greenskeeper44
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
i want to know how to make organics inexpensive please fill me in. ive started organins and there is hardly anything that is inexpensive. maybe the compost teas but thats it.

treegal1
02-23-2009, 10:14 PM
greenskeeper, the cheap to free stuff is the best, worm casts, compost, tea like you said, if you need some meals. its all more or less cheap if you get it local and or make it your self......

Smallaxe
02-25-2009, 10:04 AM
What needs to be applied? and in what amounts?

The industry has not grown grass in any sort of natural way, since the beginning. The more the LCOs did things unnaturally, the more problems it generated, and the more money we made - fixing those problems.

The first thing you can do this spring - to save your client some money is: Skip the unnatural practice of spring fertilizing. It prevents deep root growth, promotes thatch, repels water, harbors disease, and doest make all the soil at 3" depth available for the plants well being.

Promote root growth going "down" - is the necessary objective.
Creating the correct environment to accomplish that - is the challenge.

Kiril
02-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Want to learn how to save the client money ... find the breaking point of the landscape and maintain it just above that point.

ICT Bill
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I was at the New Jersey landscapers show today, great turn out. Everyone is going gangbusters on the service side, seems like no one is down at all.

Now the new install business for expensive add ons is down, pools, big patios, major landscape installs, that sort of thing

They are really embracing organics as the pesticide laws have changed, woo hoo

Barry is one busy dude up here in Jersey, needed a dolley just to carry all of the follow up sheets

Prolawnservice
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
I saw Barry, but some how I missed you there Bill, guess I'll see you on friday

treegal1
02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
so this is what you yanks do in the winter, wish i was there..........

phasthound
02-25-2009, 07:53 PM
so this is what you yanks do in the winter, wish i was there..........

Hey, I was outside (watching the smokers) in a short sleeve shirt. :)