PDA

View Full Version : belt driven walk behind?

smith068
02-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Can anybody tell me whether or not I should go with a belt driven walk behind? I've heard that they can be problematic.

CLARK LAWN
02-19-2009, 07:53 PM
ive had belt drives for the last 7 years and never had a problem. i think the problem people have is they buy the pistol grip style and those will wear you out fast. i have all TORO with the "t-bar" very easy to use. after 7 years i finally have to change the belts out.

IntegrityGuy
02-19-2009, 08:17 PM
no. they are not problematic but they can wear you out. If you were cutting 100+ lawns i would go with hydro but otherwise belt drive mowers are great and alot cheaper to. hydros are just alot easyer on hills due to the fact that you have every movement at your finger tips without having to reach down and shift.

PORTER 05
02-19-2009, 08:18 PM
the Exmark Metro's are awsome. We have a 48" deck and its fine, its got the ECS controls, only problem is when its really wet or raining it will slip and its tough going up hills loading in the trailor ect but you really should be cutting when its like that anyway.

coxslawncare
02-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a 1985 toro t bar walkbehind, have had it for 3 years and only thing I have done is replace belts as regularly scheduled. Never had any problems with slipping belts and has plenty of power to go up and down hills. Hold very steep hills well. I only have one hill it will not hold and a push mower slides on it also (think close to straight up and down). I have never run a hydro so I cannot compare that but have had to use it all day on occasion when the Z has had to go down waiting on parts and it doesn't wear me out anymore than if I was just walking regular.

topsites
02-20-2009, 04:59 AM
Yup, buy a pistol grip mower and you will probably hate belt-drive.
So if you decide to get a belt-drive then make sure to get a T-bar Toro.

hondarancher4435
02-20-2009, 06:20 AM
i just got a gravely pro 50 belt drive with the pistol grips and i really don't think their that bad

EagleGrounds
02-20-2009, 07:52 AM
I have a belt Toro WB and have never had a problem with it, the only difference ive noticed between my belt and some hydros(that ive noticed) is that the belts have troubles pulling a sulky up the hill, but i dont use a sulky any more so its not an issue!

Just make sure you maintain them properly, i use belt dressing every couple of days and i keeps it running strong!

gunner19
02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
This is a good read. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a WB. I wasn't sure if I should get the pistol grip style or the T-bar. It is between the 32" exmark or Toro. The ECS style is not available for the 32" so if I go exmark the pistol grip is the only way.
This will be my first WB. At the dealer the pistol grip didn't seem to bother me to much. The T-bar felt OK too, just not WAY better than the pistol grips.

IntegrityGuy
02-20-2009, 10:12 AM
toro t bar is the better one. So go with it.

CLARK LAWN
02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
This is a good read. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a WB. I wasn't sure if I should get the pistol grip style or the T-bar. It is between the 32" exmark or Toro. The ECS style is not available for the 32" so if I go exmark the pistol grip is the only way.
This will be my first WB. At the dealer the pistol grip didn't seem to bother me to much. The T-bar felt OK too, just not WAY better than the pistol grips.

the t-bar is WAY,WAY,WAY better than pistol grips.

ed2hess
02-20-2009, 07:56 PM
The pistol grips are just fine plently of mowers run them and some are coming back to them after using the loop handles.

LALawnboy
02-21-2009, 02:53 AM
If you're just starting out, belt drives are great, especially their cost. I agree with Ed that pistol grips are just fine. I've never experienced that "pain" or aggravation from them that everyone else seems to talk about here.

Five points, On. Can
02-21-2009, 07:07 AM
I have a Toro T-bar belt drive and think its great. Only caution I would give if you are going to use a sulky alot. I have the tru trak sulky on a 52" mower and am on my second transmission in 4 years. My opionion is the transmission is not designed for running the mower and then pull someone 180-200 lbs all day. I usually replace the drive belts on each side once per season. I blame that on cutting when it has been raining. Those numbers may add up but that mower cuts a lot of grass and I do not regret buying it. Had I not put the sulky on it I don't think I would have had any of these issues. I also have a hydro pistol grip walk behind and do not like at all.

mowerdude777
02-21-2009, 09:03 AM
I have a pistol grip ferris and it does not waere me out. But I soon will buy a new exmark with ecs controlls:)

mcgruff
02-21-2009, 10:17 PM
I have the toro t-bar and love it over the pistol grips.

Some one on here said to always use belt dressing to prolong the life of the belt.

May I ask what belt dressing is?

thanks

mcgruff
02-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I use the sulky alot also but I find myself getting off on the slightest hill and walking.

LB1234
02-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Yup, buy a pistol grip mower and you will probably hate belt-drive.
So if you decide to get a belt-drive then make sure to get a T-bar Toro.

I gotta ask. Could you please explain why someone will hate pistol grips with belt-drive WBs AND why they need to get a T-bar Toro if they are getting a belt drive.

GreenAcresLC
02-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Some one on here said to always use belt dressing to prolong the life of the belt.

thanks

Mcgruff, belt dressing is either a spray on, or a gel type substance to help prolong belt life...taken directly from an autozone parts catalog: "adds traction, silences squeaks, and preserves belt life". Hope this helps.

mcgruff
02-22-2009, 12:31 AM
thanks green acres, I need to go to autozone and get me some !!

Jay Ray
02-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I gotta ask. Could you please explain why someone will hate pistol grips with belt-drive WBs AND why they need to get a T-bar Toro if they are getting a belt drive.

I've run belt t-bar, belt ecs, and belt pistols (eXmark).

imho t-bar is the easiest on the operator, ecs a close second.

But that is just an opinion.

Reliable Lawn Care
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM

I have an Ex Mark 36, been a great mower for my needs. Mostly flat lawns, has the ECS, Love those compared to the pistol grips, for the money it works great for my needs, everyone is different though. Plus I have a great Ex mark dealer here.

EagleGrounds
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I have the toro t-bar and love it over the pistol grips.

thanks

Yup just a mentioned, it increases life, traction, and eliminates squeeks.

The kind i buy makes my belt almost sticky so they hardly ever slip!

KGR landscapeing
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
People buy Hydros because of positive reverse. And with that in mind it gives you the abillity to put the deck right where u want it. It also helps you make turns with out ripping up grass And you dont have to walk some huge circle. And by huge circle i ment like a 2ft radius. Belts are lighter giver or take 200lbs on some mowers. Alot of people run them on hills for that reason. But if ur cutting early morning while the dew hasnt burn off yet hydro is the way to go. Pistol grip belt drives can be like fighting with a train, even more so if its not ur mower and somebody has it adjusted to there liking. A hydro will make u more money.