PDA

View Full Version : The right time to lay down a crabgrass pre-emergent

james_stewart
02-19-2009, 07:08 PM
I have a few questions about the crabgrass prevention.

I live in the Pacific NW (Portland, OR)

As far as I understand you have to apply a pre-emergent in spring when the soil temperature is around 50-55 degrees.

I'm not too sure how to know when my soil temp is between 50-55. What's a good indicator, and how long after the soil hits 50-55 will the crabgrass germinate?

Would it benefit me to do it a bit earlier, then again in May? The temps will be in the mid 50's all week with rain.

Where can I find a good crabgrass pre-emergent? Homedepot only has a combo Scott's fertilizer and crabgrass control, should i find a product that works only as a pre-emergent? I've heard of a product called dimension, but have no idea where to buy it.

thank you for you help

james_stewart
02-19-2009, 07:40 PM
I just found a local garden shop that sells a product called HiYield that contains Dimension. Has anyone heard of this product?

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
02-19-2009, 08:00 PM
If you have an Ewing Irrigation store in your town, go there and ask for their BEST brand fertilizer with Dimension it will prevent the crabgrass.

james_stewart
02-19-2009, 08:07 PM
If you have an Ewing Irrigation store in your town, go there and ask for their BEST brand fertilizer with Dimension it will prevent the crabgrass.
HA! found them across town, but they told me I couldn't purchase that product because I'm a homeowner and need a license to purchase from them.
They recommended I try finding a product at homedepot....:mad:

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
02-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Well, I guess you've just become Stewart Lawn Care, LOL, I've had fairly good success with the scott's product, its a little pricey, but works.

tombo82685
02-24-2009, 08:21 AM
I have a few questions about the crabgrass prevention.

I live in the Pacific NW (Portland, OR)

As far as I understand you have to apply a pre-emergent in spring when the soil temperature is around 50-55 degrees.

I'm not too sure how to know when my soil temp is between 50-55. What's a good indicator, and how long after the soil hits 50-55 will the crabgrass germinate?

Would it benefit me to do it a bit earlier, then again in May? The temps will be in the mid 50's all week with rain.

Where can I find a good crabgrass pre-emergent? Homedepot only has a combo Scott's fertilizer and crabgrass control, should i find a product that works only as a pre-emergent? I've heard of a product called dimension, but have no idea where to buy it.

thank you for you help

A good indicator of when to put down a pre emergent is when the forsythia blooms. Im not sure you have these in Portland area, but thats a good rule of thumb. If you do it to early you wont get protection throughout the whole season assuming you get your first frost in october or so. Im not sure of your climate but i know in PA by may crabgrass has already germinated so putting a prem emerge then is useless, but it may be different. Pre emergent usually has about a 4 month barrier of protection