PDA

View Full Version : Hydroseeding Information

CutnClean
02-19-2009, 09:49 PM
We've been in the landscape business for 15 years. We do mostly maintenance & some landscape work. The last landscape job we did was 16 acres for soccer fields. We subbed out the hydroseeding. We decided to buy our own, Bowie 1500 gallon. Just got a call from a fiberoptic company. They have about 10,000 linear feet, 5' to 10' wide. Any suggestions on price, technique, materials..? I'm meeting with the guy tomorrow - it will probably be hose work.

Turboguy
02-20-2009, 05:41 AM
I have done a lot of jobs like that. Not for fiber optic cable but more for pipelines where they have put new sewage in and for paving companies that have blacktopped a road and I had to do a few miles along the sides of the road a bit narrower than what you are doing.

Basically you are going to need one person driving and one either walking behind with a hose or spraying from the tower. I have done some of mine alone and it is not too bad.

Without knowing what part of California you are in I would say go with a 70-30 mulch or 100% wood since it won't get watered. I use 100% paper but you are likely hotter and drier than I am here. Price wise you are looking at more time than a big open area would take. I would probably be looking for 12 cents a foot and more if I could get it. If that seems too high you can still make decent money in the 8-10 cent a foot range but I would not go lower with that layout.

CutnClean
02-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Turboguy,

Thanks for the info. I read it first thing in the morning & it gave me the confidence I needed for the meeting. We got the job, now just putting the estimate together (getting prices on the materials).

One question I have that I have not been able to locate an answer to is, "What is the ratio of water to materials (mulch, seed, fertilizer, tacktifier) to put in the tank & what area coverage will that give me?" I have a Bowie 1500.

We're in Southern California.

Thanks for the help!

Turboguy
02-22-2009, 05:54 AM
I have never run a Bowie machine but I will transpose some numbers and try to help. If I were doing it I would probably go about 600 pounds of mulch per load and try to cover 13,000 sq. ft. per load. I could tell you more about seed if I knew what kind of seed you were going to be using.

Fertilzer, oh, since it won't get any follow up care I would likely go with a 19-19-19 maybe 100 pounds per load. Doing residential I prefer a high phosphorus starter fertilizer but for that application I think the tripple 19 might be best.

Be sure to use a tackifer. If you have a PAM tackifer I would go with just under a pound per load.

I am sending you a pm that may have a good suggestion for you.

ICT Bill
02-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Call the Bowie guys, they sell all of that stuff and will tell you exactly what you need for a job like that

CutnClean
02-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all your help. We greatly appreciate it.

CNC

CutnClean
02-23-2009, 09:25 PM
We put the estimate together with this information:
- Total square feet
- Materials Required
- How many pounds & type of seed
- How many pounds of Mulch (paper or wood)
- How many pounds & type of binder
- How many pounds & type of fertilizer

Price was based on square footage.

We put, "All work done to customers satisfaction."

Is there any other information, contractual terms we should add to our estimates.

Thanks for any and all help.

CNC

Turboguy
02-24-2009, 05:21 PM
It seems like you have things pretty well covered. One of the first things I look at in any hydroseeding job is the availabilty of water.

The last job I did turned into a nightmare for the water. It was a new shopping center and there was one water source which I had to share with the blacktop guys, the high pressure washer guys and the painters. I spent more time waiting for water than filling.

Good luck with your job.

humble1
02-26-2009, 09:03 AM
I have never run a Bowie machine but I will transpose some numbers and try to help. If I were doing it I would probably go about 600 pounds of mulch per load and try to cover 13,000 sq. ft. per load. I could tell you more about seed if I knew what kind of seed you were going to be using.

Fertilzer, oh, since it won't get any follow up care I would likely go with a 19-19-19 maybe 100 pounds per load. Doing residential I prefer a high phosphorus starter fertilizer but for that application I think the tripple 19 might be best.

Be sure to use a tackifer. If you have a PAM tackifer I would go with just under a pound per load.

I am sending you a pm that may have a good suggestion for you.

I think 13 sq ft is very low for a 1500 gal unit- I get 11,000 sq ft out of my 750 gal tank putting it on thick.

Turboguy
02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Good post Humble, I agree with a lot of what you said.

My logic in suggesting that coverage was to get to the 2000 # to the acre mark that is recommended for erosion control jobs and jobs that won't be watered and took into account that he is in an area where heat can be an issue. Some guys will go even more mulch than that. It is also possible that his Bowie unit would handle more than 600 pounds per load which would let him increase his coverage.

I also sent him a pm and suggested he visit the HydroSeeding Association website and he could talk to a lot of guys running Bowies that could give more exacting information than I can.

I agree on the coverage you mentioned in lots of situations. My coverage per load is the same as yours if I adjust for my machine being a 500 gallon. My temperatures are much milder, a lot of my jobs are residential where the homeowner hopefully will water regularly. I have done jobs similar to what he is doing and did it at the same coverage you get but my area does not get the high temperatures his area will sometimes get.

muddstopper
02-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I agree with most of what was suggested. I dont agree with the tripple 19 fertilizer. I know there are tons of people that use trip19 as a starter fert, and maybe you can get away with that in the northeast. Bottom line is that tripple 19 fertilizer is made using Urea, it isnt coated Urea, or a slow release form of N. The 100lb suggest rate per load will provide 19lbs of N in the urea form. This is about twice the rate of urea application "per acre" that has been proven in just about every agricultrial country to cause sever seed kill due to the gassing off during the conversion from Urea to ammonium. If the weather is hot and humid, you can expect the Urea to start gassing off while it is still in the hydroseeding tank. This will be evident from the ammonium smell if you lift the lid of the machine and take a whif. Placeing Urea in direct contact with the seed will kill off seed and result in either needing to increase seed rates to get a decent stand of grass, or a thin and spotty stand of grass if you dont increase seed rates. You simply cant get more direct contact between urea and seed than mixing the two together in a agitated tank of water. If you are going to use Urea Nitrogen based fertilizers, double your seed rates to insure proper results. You will find that it will be much cheaper to use Ammonium N based fertilizers than it will be to double seed rates. Ammonium N is much safer on the seed than Urea. If you must use Urea forms of N, at the least use coated Urea to help slow down the N conversions.

Everybody wont agree with me on this, but there are plenty of field trials, and not just in the US, to back up what I have written.