PDA

View Full Version : landscaping area

Kevin332
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
My business resides in western Ky. Was just wandering what the avg homeowner spends on landscape,hardscape,etc. in your area. Here in Ky it seems as though homeowners will spend 500-800k on a nice home but will spend less than 5k on a complete landscape job. Was wanting some tips on how to get more out of these types of customers.

Lucky Star Lawn Care
02-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Dont give them a choice! :gunsfirin lol

Get to work on your sales pitch..get some photos and tell and show them what "this and that" will do to make their yard look the best and how it will add value to their home

White Gardens
02-20-2009, 02:20 AM
3-6k on most of my jobs, regardless of how much the property is worth. Usually my customers tell me that they want to do more in the future, so I just work with their budget and keep in mind the work that can be done in the future.

Now, if only the economy holds out where it is and not get worse...................

shovelracer
02-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Ive only seen one complete landscape go for 5K and it was about the size of my living room. I think the 5K average per job is pretty close because that amount people can keep on hand. Having 10K cash gets a little hairy and in most cases bigger jobs more than that are financed. But 5K can easily be a bonus check or a tax return. Other than the one I dont see complete 5K jobs. Maybe a 40-50K total broken down in 5K segments. You dont get much for 5K, so not sure what they are doing by you.

If you are asking cause you want to break the barrier than you need to find a different way of reaching clients. However dont think that big jobs always mean big $. You could make a lot, but you could just as easily lose everything. Think about how much it would hurt to get stiffed 100K and then get sued for 300K. Most of us cant even fathom that.

AGLA
02-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Landscaping is an exercise in "keeping up with the Jonses". If the Jonses have nothing, the Smiths don't have an inspiration to have more. That is not always because they are competitive, but sometimes just uninspired to value more of a landscape. This is regional, local, and neighborhood to neighborhood.

Some people value it more than others. Four reasons that people value landscaping is lifestyle, aesthetics, resale value, and ego. The more of those and the stronger those needs are, the more value people place on landscaping. .... no matter where they are.

I'm not saying those values are good or bad human qualities, but that they are what drives up the value of landscaping.

Chrysalis
02-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, it is always good to carry a portfolio or book of landscape photo's of small to large residential and commercial work. Even if its not yours credit the company that did it and let the customer really know what you can offer. A lot of times, if your in the right neighborhood and you show Ms. Jackson the 80,000 install, she will go for it. Or 60-80% of it. After all, she needs to keep up with Mrs. Jones.