PDA

View Full Version : Baffled grassy weeds. This is crazy. Look

David Hartzog
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I sprayed bermuda grass in october.
and this happened

David Hartzog
02-19-2009, 11:11 PM
The first photo is the grassy weed and I'm not sure what it is it's not in my books and it does not have a sweet smell.

The second photo i sprayed.

The third photo you can tell i didn't spray.

I put out pre-m and topchioce.

What activated this weed?

Jason Rose
02-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Poa Annua, correct? Looks like the treatment didn't work so hot... No water after treatment?

Does Bermuda down there get dormant enough for use of round-up over the top? It does here... But we get a lot more cold.

David Hartzog
02-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Poa Annua, correct? Looks like the treatment didn't work so hot... No water after treatment?

Does Bermuda down there get dormant enough for use of round-up over the top? It does here... But we get a lot more cold.

yes it rained that day i timed the app.
No it is not Poa Annua
yes but i have no money for glysophate.

Jason Rose
02-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Hummm... yeah after I suggested Poa I looked at some pics, it has narrower leaves, but similar growth habit. And we now know the pre was watered in.

Certianly a nasty looking problem.

David Hartzog
02-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Hummm... yeah after I suggested Poa I looked at some pics, it has narrower leaves, but similar growth habit. And we now know the pre was watered in.

Certianly a nasty looking problem.

yes it is.

KES
02-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Looks like Rye grass to me. Did you treat this property last year? It is probally some rye left over from last year. We treated a large property one fall and 6 weeks later the same thing happened. It looked like we did not know anything. We sprayed it with round up.

ted putnam
02-20-2009, 12:31 AM
yes it rained that day i timed the app.
No it is not Poa Annua
yes but i have no money for glysophate.

I'm with KES. looks like left over rye. You have 3 maybe 4 choices. If the customer is understanding, tell them it'll die out with warmer temps, then wait for that to happen. Second choice and best choice in my mind. Spray with glyphos...soon, before any bermuda starts greening. 3rd, spray with diquat which might be cheaper (atrazine might also work.been awhile since I looked at the label. I suggest you do before use) And last, but certainly not least($$$ or otherwise) spray Revolver. It'll smoke it for sure. All the rest, a 3- way herbicide would take care of.

White Gardens
02-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Wild Oats. I have a few spots in my yard, I pulled 95% of it (which wasn't much), but the few plants that remain I can't quite get all the roots out and it keeps coming back.

You can confirm it by letting some of it seed out and you'll get the classic oat head on it.

I think someone overseeded the lawn with dirty seed, or you've got a wild patch nearby, by the pics I would say the latter.

That's my guess.

hmartin
02-20-2009, 01:55 AM
What did you apply in October? Miss. State recommends that fall pre-emerge herbicides with no post emerge activity to be applied by Sept 1. You may have waited too late to apply your fall application. Tough break.

David Hartzog
02-20-2009, 01:36 PM
What did you apply in October? Miss. State recommends that fall pre-emerge herbicides with no post emerge activity to be applied by Sept 1. You may have waited too late to apply your fall application. Tough break.

I put out atrazine.

hmartin
02-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Next fall mix some metsulfuron with the atrazine and see how long it keeps the dormant bermuda clean. The metsulfuron will work on many broadleafs, rye, and be damaging to many cool season grasses.