PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Hose

clallen03
02-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Last night temps dropped to around 26 deg. I put a heat blanket over my pump so it wont freeze but I didn't put it over the hose. Now the hose is frozen:hammerhead:.

The questions are what do you do in this situation? For those that this has happened to how did you fix it?

I have pulled the hose all the way out and have it sitting in the sun now. I have also pour hot water on the hose to help it along but nothing seems to work. I guess time and warm weather is the only thing that will help my situation.

If you have any suggestions, Im all ears.

Thanks

Springmeadows
02-20-2009, 11:01 AM
What are you spraying when it's so cold? Everything around us is has freeze damage and looks terrible.

ArizPestWeed
02-20-2009, 11:16 AM
How long did you wait for it to thaw , unfreeze ?
Never takes me longer than 20 minutes to get things moving again , using the sun

Ric
02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
clallen03

My question is, What do you want spray today that can't wait till the weather warms up?? IMHO with night time temperature of 26, nothing should be growing. BTW Your hose should be alright. It is the metal parts that can break.

phasthound
02-20-2009, 02:25 PM
If you have any suggestions, Im all ears.

Thanks

If patience doesn't work, try this.

LawnTamer
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Here at 4,500 ft above sea level and with the dry desert air, we have to spray a lot when there is still frost at night. It can be 65-70 degrees in the day, and still freeze hard at night. Our last hard frost is usually about mid May, but they have come as last as mid June. One year Whoop and I were out working, I think it was June 12, if I remember right. We were doing a lawn, and a storm blew in, by the time we packed up, there was 1" of snow, by the time we made it to the movie theater (why go home, the wives will just have a list of honeydo items) there was 2", by the time we left X-men, there was about 3", but it was melting.

Anyway, point is, your hose will be fine, your gun may not be. It is very easy for a trigger/gun assembly to break from a hard freeze.

clallen03
02-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Im in round 1 right now. Im spraying pre-emergents, 2,4-D, small amount of N, and potash. The weather is fluctuating up and down here. First of week it was close to 70 deg highs. Today its 48 deg for the high.

A little of everything is growing around here. We have henbit, bittercrest, fescue clumps, poa, just to name the most popular.

Once the temp got up to about 32 deg it started to thaw. I turned the pressure really high and pushed out the remaining slush from hose.

I was never really concerned that the ice would harm the hose, I just wanted to know a quick way to thaw it so I could get to work.

Thanks guys

mrkosar
02-20-2009, 08:19 PM
take a blow dryer to it.

Ric
02-20-2009, 08:40 PM
take a blow dryer to it.

kosar

About 20 years ago we had a freeze that went all the way to Key West. Most homes Have PVC water pipes coming into the house. Day time temperature stayed low enough so the pipes stayed frozen and People had to use hair blow dyers to get those pipes unfrozen. BTW That same year many PCO pumps were ruined because they froze also.

mrkosar
02-20-2009, 09:17 PM
yeah, i wasn't even joking about that. maybe a little silly and time consuming blowing 500 feet of hose, but i have used it on the gun. i usually wrap up my spray unit (engine and hose), but most times that foot or so of hose sticking out with the gun attached is still frozen in the morning. my buddy uses compressors for construction told me about the hair blower trick.

RigglePLC
02-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Clallen,
you are doing the right thing. Use an electric blanket and cover the hose too next time. Make sure it is thermostatically controlled and use a GFI circuit so it is electrically safe. At least make sure the gun is under the balnket. Pay special attention to plastic filters or any steel or aluminum that might crack if frozen--that could be very expensive indeed.

azjojo99
02-21-2009, 09:44 PM
I just disconnect the hose from the pump, attach a fitting so I can hook it up to a small air compressor and blow the hose out back into the tank the night before it freezes. Make sure you put a value on the airline, otherwise you get a face full of mist when you disconnect it.

Before I started doing this, I could waste 2 or 3 hours waiting for the hose to thaw.

Next year I want to build a heated shop.