PDA

View Full Version : Starting to do Fertilizer

jeffslawnservice
02-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey guys im just starting to do fertilizer and im alittle unsure of when the best time to put it down is and what you guys put down. Also if you guys do a 4 or 6 step process. Also how much do you put down I dont want t okill the lawn but dont want to under fertilize it Thanks

BullfrogLawn
02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Jeff
Check the laws of your state... they are all different but most if not all states require a license to do chem apps including fertilizer with a weed killer... Also, are you insured? If not, and you damage someones property with incorrectly applying something, you are liable to the customer and the states Dept of Agriculture. Neither of which most of us can afford.

Just an FYI.
Frog

Runner
02-20-2009, 04:22 PM
If you are asking us abut how much fert. you should put down, you PROBably shouldn't really be doing it...especially on a commercial basis.

jeffslawnservice
02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Im actually just doing one place its my neighbors house. He asked me to do it becasue he saw me last year doing a scotts 4 step process and me being an idiot say yes even tho i really dont have too much knowledge on it. But im going to talk to him about it soon.

Sweet Tater
02-20-2009, 07:53 PM
If you are asking us abut how much fert. you should put down, you PROBably shouldn't really be doing it...especially on a commercial basis.

I hate to crumble your oreo but I totaly agree with Runners comment

shovelracer
02-20-2009, 08:18 PM
FYI applying a Scotts program for hire would be against the rules. Do what you want, but getting caught could send you to the poor house.

Midstate Lawncare
02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey guys im just starting to do fertilizer and im alittle unsure of when the best time to put it down is and what you guys put down. Also if you guys do a 4 or 6 step process. Also how much do you put down I dont want t okill the lawn but dont want to under fertilize it Thanks

You don't have a damn clue what you are doing, you are breaking the laws of Pennsylvania and making the rest of us look inept. In the bylaws of every state's department of agriculture there is a statement that reads like this... "You must be licensed by the state department of whatever to apply fertilizer and pesticides to someone's lawn other than your own." Seriously, walk away from the fertilizer biz befor you hurt yourself or someone else and fry and stripe a bunch of lawns. Get licensed, then we'll talk.

jeffslawnservice
02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
ok i decided not to do fertilizer im going to refer someone else to those jobs

Brian James
02-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Don't get discouraged just educate yourself. I think that is what you were trying to do by placing the thread from the start. My opinion, (and it's free so take it for what it is worth) is to research your state's department of agriculture web site. Find out what needs to be done to be legal. They usually have contact phone numbers and fact sheets available as well. It would, in my opinion, be in your best interest to gain as much knowledge as possible but I think this forum is just the tip of the ice berg and you need local precise information. Good luck!

Brian James
02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I re-read your original post again and I guess I really didn't answer your question. For that I apologize. A four step program seems to work great here in the Chicagoland area but I can't comment on your climate. However, I do believe it to be similar. Still keep it legal. My opinion, is that a 6 step would be more for a temperate or year round climate. Although, I do know of companies that use a 6 step locally here as well. At this point it would be best if you did a small experiment in your own yard on your own property with a six and four step and see which results you liked better. I know time is a luxury but that would be the best way I know to do it.