PDA

View Full Version : Sod install

mowerrookie
02-20-2009, 01:42 PM
alright guys im going to put my numbers up here and look thru them for me. little info of the job. its about 3,000 square feet of sod to be installed. the area is a slope in the back yard.... and flat in the front... but basically we are fixing the areas were the guys finishing the customers basement tore up the yard and a few deep ruts.

need about 28 yards of topsoil... average of 3 inches for all year but i figured some areas will need less and others more

3 bags of starter fert.

3,000 square feet of sod goes for .17 cents a sq ft.

sod cutter. $80 dollars a day.... get for 2 days

ROller: $12

Cost total:

28 yards $850 out in a little extra

Fert $180 (3 bags)

Sod $620 (3,000 Sq ft.)

Cutter $160 (2 days)

Roller $12d

Materails: $1822

Total for Job: $2,733 for me and 2 guys (30 hrs)

IntegrityGuy
02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
wheres your labor cost? put that up.

mowerrookie
02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
10 hours for 2 guys @ $15= 300 for 2 guys

Five points, On. Can
02-21-2009, 10:08 PM
What are you using to move 28 yards of soil with, as in do you have to rent a piece of equipment. try rent sod cutter for one day not two, 3 bags of fert for 180? I put fert down at about 5lbs per thousand depending on what it is. So thats 15 lbs, which is less than half a bag. I think last year I paid about 30-35 a bag.I would think you could do it in a day, but only you know that. You also need to look at the big picture, 3000square feet is not that big of a area and almost 3000 to fix up. Sounds a lot, again you would know better than I.

The Elements Group
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
what type of turf are you putting down?

White Gardens
02-22-2009, 12:37 AM
28 yards of soil for less than a grand. That's cheap.

Do you really need all that topsoil, or does the yard need to be tilled really good.

I'd do the job for no less than 4500 in our area.

limaint
02-22-2009, 10:11 AM
At least 1.25sq/ft........

mowerrookie
02-22-2009, 10:44 AM
yea the yard Is really rutted up. i mean they got the truck buried to the axles..... but i gave the guy 2 options... for about 11 yards of topsoil or go with 20 cause sum spots we can fix the ruts a little bit with whats there

TexasFire221
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Im working on a similar proposal today also. Its about 2,500 sqft of sod. The yard has to have top soil. Its just base right now from when they built the house pad. This is my first sod job so any replies would be greatly appreciated. Im trying to figure out my labor time now. The sod will run about $800. The top soil $500, thats two loads of the super great screened soil. There yard only has a few weeds so no need for a sod cutter. Guess I just have to figure out my time now.

yeayea14
02-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Did a 3000 sq. ft sod job last year for $2780 but i only used 12 yards of top soil hope this helps.

TexasFire221
02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
My only issue is that the dirt will have to be dumped in the street and wheeled to the back yard by hand.

merrimacmill
02-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Then have it delivered and rent a skid steer, or tractor for a half day. If you really move I think that you can do it in that time. But do you really need 28 yards for only 3000 sq ft?? Seems like an awful lot to me.

The Elements Group
02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Georgia buggy use it look into it first

TexasFire221
02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
There is only a small gate. No equipment will fit through. It has to be moved by hand. Also, my dirt guy gave me the numbers to run to find out how much dirt I need at 3 inches. Per his numbers I will need that much.

JPsDuramax
02-23-2009, 10:50 PM
There is only a small gate. No equipment will fit through. It has to be moved by hand. Also, my dirt guy gave me the numbers to run to find out how much dirt I need at 3 inches. Per his numbers I will need that much.

27 yards is right for 3 inches @ 3000sf (3000 * .25 = 750/27 = 27.77cy). Just do some research to see if you really need that much depth. It depends on turf type and how bad the rutting is currently. You may be able to do some grading and not need as much dirt. It would suck to have to call someone to haul away extra.

As far as pricing, the fertilizer def. seems very high. You should only need half bag +/-. Dirt doesn't seem to out of line. I paid $550 for 20 yards of screened in August last year.

As far as moving and spreading the dirt, rent a dingo. You can tear up the old sod, grade the area, bring in the new soil and even help move the pallets of sod.

tombo82685
02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Did you do a soil test of the present soil in the area? If so what is the phosphorus levels like, up north in my area phosphorus level are generally already above normal, if this is the case then their is no need to apply more phosphorus. Make sure the pH is above 6 this will make your valuable nutrients availble such as potassium and phosphors, when the ph is lower then 6.5 these nutrients are bound up and are not uptaken by the plant. Also phosphorus is mainly used for root development, you wouldnt really need this if your roots are already developed, I would just go with a shot of nitrogen.

tombo82685
02-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Starter fertilizers are usually used when your seeding a lawn to promote the root growth, but if the lawn is already efficient in phosphorus and the pH is adequate then their is no need to apply phosphorus. Myabe try a fertilizer thats more heavily based on nitrogen like a 3-1-2 or 3-1-1 Higher potassium levels help with membrane movement within the plant it also helps with summer stree and cold tolerence. Hope this helps.

TexasFire221
02-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I am new to installs. The yard has no top soil. It is base that was used to make the house pad. There will have to be dirt brought in. We will be putting down St. Augustine sod. Does it still need 3 inches of top soil?

tombo82685
02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Im not sure if you need 3 inches of top soil to be honest i think and inch or 2 would be sufficient. Make sure you also till that top soil up into the existing soil. You dont want to have layered soil, because in some instances the plants roots will seek out only the good soil, and not penetrate lower.

White Gardens
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM

How wide is the gate.

A small dingo will go through a 34 inch gate opening. Also, I've taken panels out of fences for access and re-installed when the job is done.

Also, if you can't get your pallets of sod back there, it's going to take forever to get it back there by hand. Then you'll run into issues of having sod on pallets for too long a time.

TexasFire221
02-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Well I really screwed up my first install estimate. I guess I am underestimating the time it will take to get everything to the back. I have already turned in the proposal. Well I guess now I either eat it or hope she doesnt call back!

White Gardens
02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Well I really screwed up my first install estimate. I guess I am underestimating the time it will take to get everything to the back. I have already turned in the proposal. Well I guess now I either eat it or hope she doesnt call back!

That's how you learn, don't beat yourself up over it.

If you get the job, just do what you can to make a few bucks on it. Worst case scenario you do a good job and you get references from it.

Business is business, regardless you do the job and you have that much more in sales for the year, so it looks good on paper in the end.

TexasFire221
02-24-2009, 12:11 PM
True. The dingo is only $160 for the day so I still should be ok.

tombo82685
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Im not sure if the customer would appreciate this, but would you could also do is if its a chain link fence take that apart like others have mentioned. You then could get the sod guy to just deliver the sod right back to your area via a spider, most sod companies have that. On the golf course i work at we just get the spider to deliver the sod where we are installing it via the spider. The only hassel is if the soil is kinda mooshy you may leave ruts which would need to be attended to, but the overall time saved from not hauling back and forth the sod would be worth it

TexasFire221
02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I am getting the sod from a nursery that I will pick up. The fence is a wood fence. No taking it down. I will just have to use the dingo to move it all back.

Qdriver
02-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I would suggest waiting to apply fert until the sod has a chance to grow feeder roots. As the roots have probably been sheared off during harvesting. Other wise it is my opinion that the fert will just be leached out of the root zone before the sod can take up the nutrients. Obtaining a soil test will help advise what the Ph is & type of nutrients your sod will need via slow release fert.

White Gardens
02-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I am getting the sod from a nursery that I will pick up. The fence is a wood fence. No taking it down. I will just have to use the dingo to move it all back.

Your better off having it delivered.

1.) A pallet of wet sod can exceed 2000 lbs. I don't know if you've got the right set-up to haul it.

2.) 3000 square feet is a lot of sod. I'm not sure how many pallets you need from your supplier, I'm guessing 5-7.

3.) Getting pallets of sod from a nursery can be a crap-shoot. One place here has a few pallets of sod cut for the nursury to hold for three - five days so homeowners can come and get small amounts to repair their yard and such. So you might not get good quality of sod. I would just call their supplier and have it delivered and cut out the middle-man. The money you'll save can go to your delivery fee. Most places don't charge too much per pallet to deliver either.

4.) Time is your enemy with sod, the sooner you get it after cut, and the sooner you get it laid, then you'll have better results.

White Gardens
02-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Wood fences are the easiest to take apart, so don't think it can't be done. Like I said, time will be your enemy.

TexasFire221
02-24-2009, 02:23 PM
I just spoke with the nursery. When they order the sod on Wednesdays, it is cut that night and delivered to them first thing next morning. They will deliver the pallets to the job for $50. Sounds fair enough to me.

White Gardens
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I just spoke with the nursery. When they order the sod on Wednesdays, it is cut that night and delivered to them first thing next morning. They will deliver the pallets to the job for $50. Sounds fair enough to me.

Ya, that's pretty cheap. Usually runs about 75 bucks here. I can't get anything else such as wall block and pavers delivered as cheap as sod.

You'll want a hole in that fence so the spider can get through if you can.