PDA

View Full Version : Stickers/Sandburs What Pre will work?

lawnbridge
02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
My chemical supplier told me to use Oryzalin for a better residual to help control stickers. Not sure if this is right. Thought I would ask you guys for your opinions. This is about 1 acre of bermuda, I live in central texas, and typically see stickers appear April to May. Help please!

bug-guy
02-21-2009, 09:23 AM
check your ph

Ric
02-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Lawnbridge

1/2 oz of Roundup per thousand sq ft on Bermuda will control sand spurs and slow active growing Bermuda without killing it. You will have to retreat several times

Atrazine will also work and is not always labelled for Bermuda. 4 Pound AI per gallon Atrazine is now a RUP and the Homeowner Atrazine is not cost effective. Therefore Weed & Feed with Atrazine would be your best bet. One application in the spring and fall should do the trick. But don't expect the chemicals to remove the dead Sand Spurs from your lawn.

hmartin
02-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Simazine will give you good pre emerge and some post emerge protection for stickers.

greendoctor
02-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Do not use oryzalin on your bermuda. Even though it is labeled for use on warm season grasses, it is very hard on the roots. You need roots for drought tolerance, wear resistance and overall health of the turf. If you are talking about sandbur and other grassy weeds in bermuda, I rather use a tank mix of Image, MSMA, and simazine on fully greened up bermuda before it gets hot and dry. This will also cook crabgrass, goosegrass, broadleaf weeds and sedges. Expensive mix, but I prefer that to chasing weeds around all growing season.