PDA

View Full Version : New Permagreen

topdog
02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Just picked it up yesterday. Looking forward to a good year.

Rayholio
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Awesome man..

I know it's probably just the pic.. but is that rust around all of the welds?? Allready? Heheh

turf&tree
02-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Just got ours too. I am bummed about the fact that the warranty started already since I can't use it for another month or so. No rusting welds, this thing is all stainless steel.

turf&tree
02-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Top Dog, is that a smartsteer or last years model? It looks different from mine.

Turfdoctor1
02-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Just picked it up yesterday. Looking forward to a good year.

congrats topdog.

Out of curiosity, is that a 1/2 pickup? Does it handle ok. I work out of a 1/2 ton truck, but worried that it wouldn't handle the PG on the carrier rack.

topdog
02-20-2009, 07:51 PM
it is an 08 model the 09 model with smart steer are about a grand more.
it is a 1/2 truck. i just used it to go pick up the unit since the closest JDL is about an hour away & this truck does great on fuel. i will work out of one of my 3/4 ton trucks.

Runner
02-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Congrats on the purchase...Nice!

turf&tree
02-20-2009, 09:07 PM
The folks at Permagreen talked us into the 09 Smartsteer. Yours looks like it has a bigger gas tank. That is what threw me off. We will be trailering it, most of the time I will be carrying 2 pallets of fert along with the unit.
I recently watched the video of the Turfco unit, and I must say I was pretty impressed. Maybe in a couple of years we will try one of those. Let them work out the bugs if it has any.

rcreech
02-20-2009, 09:15 PM
TopDog,

Great Luck to you!

I remember the first day I brought home my first PG!

I think I went out to the barn every half hour to look at it! :)

The PG is an awesome machine and it will make you a ton of money!

BTW...that isn't rust on the welds...that is just where the stainless was welded and if polished (which I did do to mine) it cleans up very nicely!

Runner
02-20-2009, 11:23 PM
LOL...He's probably already got that rubbed off!:drinkup:

redbuckcavs
02-21-2009, 09:05 AM
My 4 yr old carrier has the one tail light on the ramp.every time a drop the ramp the stupid bulb shatters---I see they improved the carrier so the tail lights are in a better location

Laner
04-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Top Dog how are you liking your new PG? I just got mine yesterday and am loving it so far! Can't wait to get the calibration complete on the spray and start second round with it......It has been a huge time saver AND much easier on the body!

turf&tree
04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Have had mine for about 2 months and had it in for engine work. The idle would stay at about 1800 rpm, could not get it in or out of gear. It would creep away, also could not achieve the 3450 rpm's for application. Tried adjusting everything. Finally got the owner of Permagreen on the phone, asked him if I could take it in to our local John Deere dealer to get it worked on. He got kind of pissy with me and threatened to send me a new machine. Imagine that , pissy and nice at the same time. It runs ok now but I have to readjust the carb screws every couple of days. Just a few observations about the company. Crappy tech support, one guy and you usually get his voicemail. He only works till 3 pm. No saturdays. How many of us work till 3 and not on saturday. The owners manual SUCKS!! If you go to the troubleshooting section it will refer you to the maintenance and repair guide. THERE IS NO SUCH BOOK! I recently pointed this out to this Peter guy who works there and his response was "gosh, your right" we had one for the older model, maybe we better get busy putting one together. the talked me into buying this "spare parts kit" What the hell good is it to me with no instructions. And no after hours tech support. I can't even get during hour tech support. They boast about how this business was started in the owners garage, I believe it is still in the garage. They added a carport recently. I will say one thing though, if you need a part you will have it the next morning even if it is the wrong part. I have been really thorough about cleaning it, but can't understand why they want you to hose it down with WD-40 whan your done cleaning it. That really aids in fertilizer bonding to everything you spray WD on. I wish they had a throttle lock also, I ferted 22 acres last week and thought I would never be able to open my hand. One finger was numb for 4 days. I hope we made the right choice, we will be needing another one next year. Or Maybe a Turfco T 3000???
Jim

Laner
04-30-2009, 10:22 PM
While not moving the RPM's achieve the 3450 or just over, however I haven't adjusted anything yet and it hovers around 3370-3400 when applying. I haven't tried to adjust it yet. It also states that it should not exceed 3550 (I think), so the window isn't very large to dial this thing in. Sounds like you need a throttle lock to help relieve the strain on your hand when applying on large areas. The largest I have done with mine is 3 acres (condos), so there was a lot of trim work and turning. I haven't sprayed mine with WD-40 yet, but thinking that something similar should work, but how do you keep it from making the surface tacky....causing it to collect fert when applying next?
How do you guys empty your hopper completely at the end of the day (say you have a few lbs of fert left in it when you get back to the shop)?

RigglePLC
04-30-2009, 10:35 PM
I saw it on here last year. You can empty the hopper with a scoop or miniature dust pan and brush. Then use a "dust buster" mini-vac; works slick. Shop vac is also OK--and quick. Fertilizer is tough on metal parts though.

Actually, I often do not empty my hopper if weather is cool and dry or when using a fertilizer (such as XCU) that does not absorb moisture and "cake up". However, during humid weather of mid-summer, I empty the hopper every day.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Laner
04-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I saw it on here last year. You can empty the hopper with a scoop or miniature dust pan and brush. Then use a "dust buster" mini-vac; works slick. Shop vac is also OK--and quick. Fertilizer is tough on metal parts though.

Anyone else have suggestions?

I thought about the small shop vac last night when I was cleaning it out. Would be simple and easy to reclaim the product.
Do you coat the PG with anything to help prevent corrosion from fertilizer?

turf&tree
05-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Laner, the manual says WD-40 but like I said it makes the fert stick like crazy. The JDL mechanic sold me something else to spray it with and it only makes the fert stick worse.
All I can say is everything I have heard about this thing is clean it, clean it , clean it. The fert will literally rot the engine if you don't. I wash it every day, blow it off and recoat it.
I am going to try orange cleaner/degreaser to try and cut the wonderful fert/WD-40 coating. I have used it to spray weeds and have yet to see results, although it has been cold here in Cleveland I am getting a ton of dandelion calls. You try to explain to the customers about plant metabolism and so forth, but they don't want to hear it. I am going to try spreader sticker tomorrow. I also am having a hard time trying to figure out where to put the little squirt bottle since the bracket appears to be too big to hold it tightly. If anyone has pics or advice please advise.
Jim

turf&tree
05-01-2009, 07:32 PM
P.S. I use the top of a half gallon milk jug to scoop out 99% of the fert. It has a built in handle and it cost me nothing. (after I drink the milk of course) I am scottish and we throw nothing away.

americanlawn
05-01-2009, 08:05 PM
topdog -- I like it! Smart buying a new '08 model & saving big bucks. I was at our LESCO (JDL) last week. They too still have an '08 model for sale at a huge savings.

Nice carrier rack too. The tail lights look better than previous racks. You may want to tie up the excess wiring on the driver's side of the rack? Nuther thing you might consider -- weld another sleeve & receiver to improve safety & stability -- I know guys who have done this, and they feel much safer.

Cleaning: we don't always pressure wash our ride-ons daily. But when we do, we let 'em dry overnight. In the morning we'll sprinkle a tiny bit of "floor dry" in the hopper to absorb any moisture -- works great.

Nice unit bud - congrats.

ATouchofGrass
05-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Rather than using WD-40 have you ever thought of using Fluid Film? I know thats what i use on my mowers under the deck to prevent buildup from the morning dew or rainy days. I also use that on my stainless steel sander during the winter A. to keep the sand from sticking B. Prevent from corrosion. I would definitely try it out, cant hurt!

americanlawn
05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
We tried Fluid Film, but it attracts fert residue instead of repelling it. Same with our snow plow blades -- the snow sticks on the blades.

We even tried spray-on Teflon, but the results were not impressive either.

NOTE: We use Fluid Film on darn near everything. Metal to metal/metal to plastic/ and plastic to plastic. IMO Fluid Fim is the best stuff on the planet.

turf&tree
05-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Fluid Film is the stuff the mechanic at our john deere dealer told me to use. Huge fert magnet. I would try it on the mower deck though. We have a huge Toro Z-400 and getting under it to clean it is a pain in the a?? I don't mind cleaning the Permagreen everyday, but I would not ever use a pressure washer on it. Just the orange degreaser and a hose.
Love that smartsteer though, worth the extra $$$

Jason Rose
05-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Odd about the problems getting the RPM's dialed in. Look more closely, there's several places to adjust to get things right. If you have the cable properly set then adjusting the RPM's to fine tune is just turning a screw. I have no trouble maintaining 3400 to 3450 at all times while driving/applying.

For cleaning out the hopper, I "invested" $30 in a small shop vac. It's just a carry type, not on wheels. It's dedicated to fertilizer only, so no dirt or trash inside. I empty it back into a fert bag as soon as I've sucked the hopper clean. I use a grain/seed scoop that I had to get the bulk of the material out first though.

Laner: Have you had more time to play with the new PG yet? I really have my doubts about their decision to put the brake control up on the handlebar. I don't see how one hand is supposed to do so many things at once... You get into a situation where you need to brake fast, what are the odds of grabbing the wrong lever? Also, isn't one lever in the way of the other?

ATouchofGrass
05-01-2009, 11:49 PM
That sure is weird. I use it all the time on the mowers, but i guess its totally different situation, i have not tried it on the spreaders so i wouldn't know. I wish i had the money to get a perma green or even the turf co. but these scag mowers are not cheap anymore :hammerhead: I guess priorities are first :cool2:

Laner
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Laner: Have you had more time to play with the new PG yet? I really have my doubts about their decision to put the brake control up on the handlebar. I don't see how one hand is supposed to do so many things at once... You get into a situation where you need to brake fast, what are the odds of grabbing the wrong lever? Also, isn't one lever in the way of the other?[/QUOTE]

Jason: It is a little busy with the left hand, but if you adjust each lever to your liking they are not in the way of each other. I could definitely see grabbing the worng lever in a hurry, however I haven't been in that situation yet.....hopefully never will. I have used the brake when coming to a stop, however it doesn't fully stop the machine so I have tried to avoid all potential situations where I may need to stop in a hurry.

Madddog6993
05-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Congrats, I have 45 hours on mine now and have had no problems.
The smartest thing I did was to install:clapping: spraynspreads updates to my unit more efficient spraying and no fert leaking issues search his old post for exact details. I must say I was concerned about the magnum on slopes but I have taken it on some slopes my centri could not hold. My best cleaning advice is limit the water to once a week and blow off the unit every night and remove the covers twice a week. I did a ten acres site last week and was done before lunch!!!

Laner
05-05-2009, 07:57 AM
[QUOTE=Madddog6993;2970383]Top Dog

The smartest thing I did was to install:clapping: spraynspreads updates to my unit more efficient spraying and no fert leaking issues search his old post for exact details.QUOTE]

I have tried the advanced search for "spraynspread" and have had no luck. Tells me invalid user name specified. What updates did you install?

Madddog6993
05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=Madddog6993;2970383]Top Dog

The smartest thing I did was to install:clapping: spraynspreads updates to my unit more efficient spraying and no fert leaking issues search his old post for exact details.QUOTE]

I have tried the advanced search for "spraynspread" and have had no luck. Tells me invalid user name specified. What updates did you install?

Laner sorry had wrong user name try this short cut.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=261878&highlight=spreadnspray

should answer any questions. Good luck Dog.

meets1
05-05-2009, 11:27 PM
I also have a new PG smartsteer. I like it but the handles are to busy and I am still used to the foot brake on the old magun I have - were running two now a few days a week so it does speed things up even more.

Is there an option out there to change the spray? I am not used to one tip broadcasting in high - I have a hard time seeing my spray vs the older one I could look at the either tire and no things were working.

Although I have a honda engine - I always seem to have to choke it to start no matter what time of day and usually pull the engine 3-4 time. I have about 45 hours on now.

I also do not like the location of adjusting the hopper for fertilizer. Odd place, hard to reach and manuerve where you want your settings.

Over all though i am happy with the machine.

Laner
05-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Madddog Thanks for the link! Very useful....I may have to try the U-nut on the handle bars as I was trying to figure out how to tighten them when they are in the up position the other day when I was running it.

Meets1 I agree, the rate adjuster for the hopper is not easily accessible. My Honda started on the first or second pull everytime when I first got it, then had to adjust the high speed screw and now it takes at least two pulls and sometimes get a slight backfire when letting off the throttle quickly.

Madddog6993
05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
[.

Is there an option out there to change the spray? I am not used to one tip broadcasting in high - I have a hard time seeing my spray vs the older one I could look at the either tire and no things were working.

follow the link I posted above if this is not covered in these suggestions search his post he covers his spray adjustment I use it and it takes about ten min to flop back and forth you have to do some minor calibrations but no big deal.

meets1
05-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Great - I'll try that.