PDA

View Full Version : Brake controller

Mike Blevins
02-20-2009, 10:31 PM
What brake controller do you guys recommend? I bought a 2004 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 and will be pulling my new 25 ft. camper and need to get one installed. Also would it just plug into wiring harness or will I have to cut some wires. I meant to look today and forgot. Any help would be appreciated.

4.3mudder
02-20-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm actually looking into right now buy one. I'm looking into the getting the Tekosha Prodigy 3G. The wire harness is seperate that connects straight to the controller and then into your junction box right above the brake pedal. No wire splicing needed. 5 minutes to install. I'm probably going to get it. Very good on the market at what I heard. Very good reviews.

seabee1
02-20-2009, 11:10 PM
i like the drawtite 5500 digital . http://www.etrailer.com/faq_cbc.aspx here's a little info

Junior M
02-20-2009, 11:15 PM
When we installed ours, if I remember this correctly, there is a wiring harness you just plug in under the dash and then its plug and play from the brake controller to the plug, I am not exactly sure, I'll take a look if the trucks around here tomorrow.. We found that out after the fact, we just wired it cause ours didnt have the harness(every chevy 2500/3500's should come with a wiring harness) and found out that we could've just used that instead of figuring out what each wire was..

4.3mudder
02-20-2009, 11:28 PM
When we installed ours, if I remember this correctly, there is a wiring harness you just plug in under the dash and then its plug and play from the brake controller to the plug, I am not exactly sure, I'll take a look if the trucks around here tomorrow.. We found that out after the fact, we just wired it cause ours didnt have the harness(every chevy 2500/3500's should come with a wiring harness) and found out that we could've just used that instead of figuring out what each wire was..

The 1500's have them too, it is just a junction box right above the brake pedal. Plug in play, very simple.

Junior M
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
The 1500's have them too, it is just a junction box right above the brake pedal. Plug in play, very simple.
Ah, didnt know that, from what the salesman told me it was 2500 and 3500's only...

4.3mudder
02-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Ah, didnt know that, from what the salesman told me it was 2500 and 3500's only...

Ya he must have not known or he was wrong, mine is a 2004 Silverado 1500, heres the pics where it is, what it looks like, and where the wire for the chevy trucks go.

4.3mudder
02-20-2009, 11:58 PM
wrong one, heres the other

Junior M
02-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah, it was the same thing, the way he said it was that 2500/3500's should have the harness under the dash,(the way he said it made it seem like it was only 2500/3500's, it might be a mistake on my part) so you've just got to pull the bottom piece of the dash and boom there it is, just plug the controller into it.. Who knows, he gave us the wiring harness for free, it was $80 I believe, if our wiring didnt work or something went wrong..

4.3mudder
02-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Ya, just take the box and off, and it is the connector at the very top left corner, the next one over. Harnesses are made for certain brand plug n play things, I know the harness for the brake conroller I want to get is 14 bucks, no splicinfg required. 80 seems way too high. though.

Jason Rose
02-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I vote for the Tekonsha Prodigy as well. I have one, I like that it gives a digital readout of the power being applied to the brakes and also gives error messages if there's a wiring problem.

I searched and searched 2 years ago for the best price, and here's where I ended up:
http://www.brakecontroller.com/

The Prodigy page: http://www.brakecontroller.com/prodigy1.htm

I believe you get to choose one wire harness with the controler. What's cool is if you have a couple trucks, but only town with one at a time, you can get 2 wire harnesses and use a slide in cradle for the controler and move it from one truck to the other as you need it.

4.3mudder
02-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I vote for the Tekonsha Prodigy as well. I have one, I like that it gives a digital readout of the power being applied to the brakes and also gives error messages if there's a wiring problem.

I searched and searched 2 years ago for the best price, and here's where I ended up:
http://www.brakecontroller.com/

Ebay is going to be your best option as far as price go, I was just looking, 115 shipped to my door, plus the harness is extra 14, so, that is the way I'm going with.

Jason Rose
02-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Ebay is going to be your best option as far as price go, I was just looking, 115 shipped to my door, plus the harness is extra 14, so, that is the way I'm going with.

:confused: The prodigy from brakecontroler.com is $116.95 with FREE shipping and one FREE wire harness... Isn't that cheaper than $115 + $14 + Shipping?

Nevermind... I just looked on Ebay. I see you can get them for $95 there with free shiping, but you would still have to get a wire harness if you need one. Of course more newer trucks come with them.

4.3mudder
02-21-2009, 07:29 PM
:confused: The prodigy from brakecontroler.com is $116.95 with FREE shipping and one FREE wire harness... Isn't that cheaper than $115 + $14 + Shipping?

Nevermind... I just looked on Ebay. I see you can get them for $95 there with free shiping, but you would still have to get a wire harness if you need one. Of course more newer trucks come with them.

I was looking at the P3, sorry I didn't specify, I'm getting the harness and controller seperate, cheaper that way. Harness is 13 shipped, and controller is 115 shipped, good to go. So 128 altogether

Jason Rose
02-21-2009, 07:31 PM
I was looking at the P3, sorry I didn't specify, I'm getting the harness and controller seperate, cheaper that way. Harness is 13 shipped, and controller is 115 shipped, good to go. So 128 altogether

Ah I see. Yes, that's definately a good deal compared to other places. I don't know why in the hell I wasn't smarter 2 years ago. Now I don't but ANYTHING online without cross referencing prices with Ebay and Amazon. At least with those you can easily find the cheapest offers.

4.3mudder
02-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Ebay is my favorite place, Its like all the stores around here, combined into one, whithout the hassle of leaving. Also, you can do reviews of them online. The prodigy I was looking at, the P3 is a step up, not in performance wise, but more add ons and so forth.

nosparkplugs
02-21-2009, 07:35 PM
What brake controller do you guys recommend? I bought a 2004 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 and will be pulling my new 25 ft. camper and need to get one installed. Also would it just plug into wiring harness or will I have to cut some wires. I meant to look today and forgot. Any help would be appreciated.

We use the Tekonsha Prodigy V2.6 plug & play, digital readout, non-leveling. very easy to troubleshooting should you encounter a bad connection. Only issue I could see would it's higher price for some.

Mike it's the "SCAG TT & Cat diesel option":laugh: of the brake controller world:dizzy:

Junior M
02-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Ya, just take the box and off, and it is the connector at the very top left corner, the next one over. Harnesses are made for certain brand plug n play things, I know the harness for the brake conroller I want to get is 14 bucks, no splicinfg required. 80 seems way too high. though.
Yeah, I know that now, the brake controller is hard wired straight to that, no harness.. Thank god for american enginuity to do something the different way.. :laugh:

And I was talking about the wiring harness that you plug into the dash, the one distributed by General Motors..

igotdiesel2
02-21-2009, 11:10 PM
If you have the pig tail that came with your truck you really don't need the other harness. The Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller comes with a standard pig tail that you can spice (solder) into your trucks pig tail. That is the way I did mine. No problems what so ever. -Jason

EDIT: That is the best brake controller I have messed with. I pull 3 different trailers; enclosed, open & dump. This trailer is very easy to adjust for all 3 if you have adjust at all.

4.3mudder
02-22-2009, 01:35 AM
And I was talking about the wiring harness that you plug into the dash, the one distributed by General Motors..

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead: Gotcha, didn't know what you were talking about at first

That is the best brake controller I have messed with. I pull 3 different trailers; enclosed, open & dump. This trailer is very easy to adjust for all 3 if you have adjust at all.

Thanks for the info, that is the one I'm going to get.

Mike Blevins
02-22-2009, 09:56 AM
We use the Tekonsha Prodigy V2.6 plug & play, digital readout, non-leveling. very easy to troubleshooting should you encounter a bad connection. Only issue I could see would it's higher price for some.

Mike it's the "SCAG TT & Cat diesel option":laugh: of the brake controller world:dizzy:

Well thats all I need to know.

nosparkplugs
02-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Well thats all I need to know.

did you get a new toy:) were looking for a RV also, what kind did you get?