PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Fraud and theft

MAGLIGHTING
02-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Guys with the nature of today's economy be on your alert for fraud and theft and think about this when promoting your services.

My wife realized last night that she had 2 deposit slips for two very large business checks from clients that she deposited several weeks ago that never made it into our account. The checks were from different people. Deposited on different days at different branches of our bank.

she went into the bank today and they told her that the money had been deposited into someone else's account. We are trying to find out if it went to one account or two different. Once brought to their attention they put the money in our account immediately.

Never has this ever happened before and looks real fishy. I suspect fraud and we will soon find out as the bank is doing an investigation.

If my wife would not have realized it the bank would never have caught it which tells me that this was most likely not a mistake.

If you can't trust your bank who can you trust?

A recorded call came from the police dept tonight warning people that there is an epidemic of car break ins in our city and not to leave valuables in your vehicle especially money.

Watch your tools, make sure every T is crossed and i dotted and Keep your family safe and be cautious and extra careful out there. There is some bad stuff going on. There are ways of being subtle about this to prospects without hitting them over the head with it by using obvious scare tactics. But the risk is very real and anyone who isn't taking precaution is at risk.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-21-2009, 08:13 AM
As an added measure of caution and security, check your commercial liability insurance coverage. If you do not already have riders that protect materials in transportation and on the job site I would be sure to have this added to your policy.

It only makes sense... this type of coverage will protect your business from any losses of materials while they are sitting in your shop, in transit to the job site, or while on the jobsite awaiting installation. Once the products are installed on the client's property they become part of the client's real property and no longer your responsibility.

You can only imagine the grief it would be to show up to the jobsite and discover that all of your materials for that job have been lifted from your trailer or truck!

Also, do an annual inventory of your tools and equipment and figure out what replacement cost is! It is amazing how your equipment inventory will grow and sneek up in value over time. Then make sure you update your tools and equipment coverage with your insurer. It is no good having $5000 of coverage on $20K of equipment.

Regards.

MAGLIGHTING
02-21-2009, 08:27 AM
As an added measure of caution and security, check your commercial liability insurance coverage. If you do not already have riders that protect materials in transportation and on the job site I would be sure to have this added to your policy.

It only makes sense... this type of coverage will protect your business from any losses of materials while they are sitting in your shop, in transit to the job site, or while on the jobsite awaiting installation. Once the products are installed on the client's property they become part of the client's real property and no longer your responsibility.

You can only imagine the grief it would be to show up to the jobsite and discover that all of your materials for that job have been lifted from your trailer or truck!

Also, do an annual inventory of your tools and equipment and figure out what replacement cost is! It is amazing how your equipment inventory will grow and sneek up in value over time. Then make sure you update your tools and equipment coverage with your insurer. It is no good having $5000 of coverage on $20K of equipment.

Regards.

Excellent advice. Thank you JS.

Lite4
02-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Man, there are an awful lot of opportunists and crooks out there looking for an easy buck aren't there? Good advice guys, thanks!

MAGLIGHTING
02-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Imagine working all your life and lose it all with bad investments in your retirement years

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre5156fb-us-madoff-victims/

MAGLIGHTING
02-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Imagine working all your life and lose it all with bad investments in your retirement years

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre5156fb-us-madoff-victims/

This is not only a lesson to not put all your eggs in one basket but also a business lesson.

Look at all the good will and free exposure the owner of the market has gotten for his $10 an hour

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=12126414&ch=4226713

irrig8r
02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
A while back someone dummied an ATM card and got money from one of my checking accounts.

The bank put a hold on my account until they sorted it out. The fraud was committed by either an employee or a hacker within a major retailer's computer system (the way I heard it, both Home Depot and Office Max were suspect.)

It had something to do with the computer hanging on to PIN numbers when it wasn't supposed to, and someone figuring that out and exploiting it.

It was an inconvenience, but they realized I wasn't at fault (5 transactions within 24 hours for a total of $800, all at a convenience store ATM 50 miles away, and a service charge on each transaction.)

Because I notified them of an irregularity within 48 hours, they were able to credit me back all the money.

Two lessons learned: check your online account balance at least every other day, and go for the signature transaction rather than the PIN.

Pro-Scapes
02-23-2009, 08:22 AM
someone in New Dehli had obtained my AMEX info last summer and was charging what appeared to be rail tickets on it. They were charged in indian rupes. Quick call to amex and a new card and number was overnighted to me and all the charges removed. About the fastest and best customer service we have ever had.

Another piece of advice is make sure it is a secure connection before providing personal or finance info online. Your url should say HTTPS and not just HTTP when your connection is secure.