PDA

View Full Version : Fertigation

Foster
03-08-2002, 01:20 PM
Just recieved an issue of Irrigation Business and Technology yesterday, and they had an article about fertigation. Several distributors are expecting this area to be their biggest market. Anybody done it? I am interested to hear any experiences on new installation and retrofitting. Thanks! Foster

HBFOXJr
03-09-2002, 08:45 AM
I'll try to post some pictures of how poorly some irrigation systems works and then you tell me if you'd want your lawn fertilized this way and how big you think it is gonna be.

I'm not breaking your stones so don't take this wrong. I don't see it the way the distributors and manufacturers see it. they are thinking theory and I'm looking at reality.

The pics will hace to wait till I can resize them for attachment.

I'll be back.

jsaunders
03-14-2002, 09:19 PM
I installed the Fertigator last year on old systems. The idea is a good one but in the real world it just doesn't cut it. There are to many things that can and do go wrong with the system. It is much easier to just poor fertilizer in a spreader and be leaving in 5-10 min.

HBFOXJr
03-16-2002, 05:00 PM
You got folks building stuff they don't know anything about.

HBFOXJr
03-16-2002, 05:02 PM
I'm just buried by this kind of work

HBFOXJr
03-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Last year was a good year here to evaluate the "competition".

jsaunders
03-16-2002, 05:31 PM
those pics just show what happens when you have a product that just doesn't work-or when there are people who don't have the knowledge or understanding to set these systems up

HBFOXJr
03-17-2002, 08:58 AM
These lawns are in areas where I've worked for years. Two of the 3 jobs I know who the installing contractors are. All of their lawns will look like this because they want to sell every job and at the lowest price. They just don't engineer a system to do the job required. They out and out lie to the potential client about how they work closely with a certain manufacturer or other guys "over design or over build" their systems. They say their own system will cover them.

The other job has always looked poor too. It is not a matter of equipment needing repair.

It's frusrating because I use DIY design pamphlets from manufacturers and several pieces of Hunter literature regarding sprinkler spacing and matched precipitaion nozzles to demonstrate how the job needs to be built but few seldom listen.

Would I be just as frustrated if I was a minister, rabbi or priest? ;)

prairie
03-22-2002, 05:29 PM
I don't know about you all, but I thought it was a great idea..and that is I thought it was. It is a great system to try here in Kansas it will and could work wonderful. But and this is a big BUT, I hope you all have a larger amount of Liability Insurance. If you think that your back-flow preventer will never fail on you, you should use this. If you think that your City water company wont press charges for polluting the water go right ahead and use this product..But I'm not going to take the chances and rely on a simple back-flow preventer form Hunter for the possibility of loosing all that I have worked for..Just a Thought

HBFOXJr
03-22-2002, 05:57 PM
Genuine concern but can be addressed by adhereing to the national plumbing code. Only a pressure vacuum breaker or reduced pressure assembly have the clearance for irrigation connections under pressure for 24/7.

Unfortunately many code officials and municipalities don't even know what they are enforcing and accept devices not approved for a particular application.