PDA

View Full Version : how do I remove small trees over a drainfield

JenniJennJenn
02-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Sorry Im not a landscaper so I have no idea what to do. Ive been searching all over the internet for info on this problem but the only information that comes up is 'how far away you should plant trees from your drainfield'. I was in need of some advice on how to remove over growth, small trees(about 2-3ft.in height and the thickness of a cigar) and leaves from the area ontop of my drainfield. I am a mom of 4 with one income and so I want to be able to do this work on my own to save money but I am unsure if that is possible. I know you cant use a backhoe to clear the area due to the drainfields on average only being a couple of feet underground. I also read I couldnt use a rototiller because it could potentially hit the drainfield and I cant use chemicals because it could harm the system...so I dont know what to do. I would like to remove the brush/trees and plant grass seed. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I know if I dont get this taken care of while the trees are young I am in for big trouble in the future due to the roots ruining my drainfield.

JenniJennJenn
02-21-2009, 02:44 PM
sorry but I would like to add that the trees are very concentrated, not something I could just use a shovel to remove.

tamadrummer
02-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Those trees are so small you should just be able to pull them up.

It may take a bit of persuasion but they will just pull out.

The Elements Group
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
give us a call, i know of a friend in mtn city who could help you out ... shoot me a message or call 706 968 6238 thanks Matt

White Gardens
02-21-2009, 06:24 PM
If you don't want to pull them.......

Go to your local garden center and buy brush and stump killer.

Cut all the trees off close to the ground and use a small amount on the stump. Disposable paint brushes work well.

Go as close to the ground as you can, so you can easily run a mower over it in the future to keep the brush down.

treegal1
02-21-2009, 06:45 PM
just my vote, if the kids are older set them lose on the trees, if not cut and paint with stump X.

dnltractor
02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I agree trees that small should be able to be pulled by hand , and you can buy a hand auger to help loosen up the soil so they pull easier , if you can post a picture of the area and the saplings , it would help a lot ...

Marcos
02-21-2009, 08:21 PM
just my vote, if the kids are older set them lose on the trees, if not cut and paint with stump X.

I agree 100%

If these trees are cigar sized like you say, just go out to a HD or Lowes and get a decent pair of lopping shears, with leverage capable enough of doing the job.

Have the 1st person do the cutting about an inch or two off the ground.
The 2nd person (with gloves & goggles on) should be right behind him, painting these stumps with a little paint brush & plastic bottle.
I personally use a professional product called Tordon RTU for projects like these. (RTU stands for "ready to use", thus you do not dilute it with water)
You won't find Tordon in box stores, though. Try TLC (Tractor Supply), or the closest agricultural chemical dealer.
Tordon RTU also has a BLUE DYE already included, so you can see where you've been, and where you haven't. :)

There is absolutely nothing better on the market right now in the small-scale control of Ohio's respective asian honeysuckle, multiflora rose & russian olive scourges.

treegal1
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
marcos, i was thinking the Nh4No3( stump out ) was a bit safer, if it was me I would just bite the bullet and go with some garlon in the axespiker, a few whacks and its lights out. we have an invasive called Brazilian pepper that is killing our state, hack and squirt, repeat for life:cry:

Marcos
02-21-2009, 08:57 PM
marcos, i was thinking the Nh4No3( stump out ) was a bit safer, if it was me I would just bite the bullet and go with some garlon in the axespiker, a few whacks and its lights out. we have an invasive called Brazilian pepper that is killing our state, hack and squirt, repeat for life:cry:

Ok...do you mean "stump x" or "stump out"?

Stump out looks to be a granular product, right?
If it is....you'll never in a million years be able to easily get that into a cigar-sized stump.

I used to use Roundup Original (41%), mixed 1:1 with water, and a touch of tracker.
But I've found by trial & error on a number of sites, that the Tordon has a MUCH, MUCH, better long-term kill on the honeysuckle.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never had any collateral damage on adjacent landscaping with the use of Tordon.
And through the years I've actually gotten brave enough to paint it onto asian honeysuckle & poison ivy stumps (very conservatively, of course!) WITHIN the drip lines of trees and landscape ornamentals that were being 'used' by these green parasites.

"Everything in moderation".....grandpa used to say! :)

treegal1
02-21-2009, 10:40 PM
"Everything in moderation".....grandpa used to say! :clapping::clapping:

44DCNF
02-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Drilling a short hole in the stump to hold a bit of more of the chemical before treating helps too.

cmlandscapeconstruction
02-26-2009, 09:18 AM
call a professional!!!

muddstopper
02-27-2009, 07:57 AM
I agree 100%

If these trees are cigar sized like you say, just go out to a HD or Lowes and get a decent pair of lopping shears, with leverage capable enough of doing the job.

Forget the poisons, The lopping shears are all you need and the cheapest and probably the best option. Most likely the shrubs growing in your drainfield are sourwoods or maybe second growth from old root stock of the trees that where removed when your lot was cleared. The important thing here is that you said you intended to sow grass in the area once the brush was removed. Cut the brushy plants off as close to the ground as possible and remove to a compost pile. Scratch up the soil and plant your grass seed. The constant mowing will take care of any regrowth and as long as the cigar stumps are cut low enough so as the mower wont hit them, they will rot out without any chems in a very short time.

If this doesnt work for you, I am only about 50miles from Franklin and have the equipment to do the job for you.