PDA

View Full Version : how do I remove small trees over a drainfield

JenniJennJenn
02-21-2009, 02:39 PM
I posted this in another section also, I wasnt sure exactly what catagory best fit my problem....

Sorry Im not a landscaper so I have no idea what to do. Ive been searching all over the internet for info on this problem but the only information that comes up is 'how far away you should plant trees from your drainfield'. I was in need of some advice on how to remove over growth, small trees(about 2-3ft.in height and the thickness of a cigar) and leaves from the area ontop of my drainfield. I am a mom of 4 with one income and so I want to be able to do this work on my own to save money but I am unsure if that is possible. I know you cant use a backhoe to clear the area due to the drainfields on average only being a couple of feet underground. I also read I couldnt use a rototiller because it could potentially hit the drainfield and I cant use chemicals because it could harm the system...so I dont know what to do. I would like to remove the brush/trees and plant grass seed. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I know if I dont get this taken care of while the trees are young I am in for big trouble in the future due to the roots ruining my drainfield.

JenniJennJenn
02-21-2009, 02:45 PM
sorry but I would like to add that the trees are very concentrated, not something I could just use a shovel to remove.

BrandonV
02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
how much do you like you lawn mower? either mow them down with it or see if the home depot or a rental place near you has a walkbehind brush mower like the dr mower you see on tv

AOD
02-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Loppers, shovel, axe, repeat.

TScapes
02-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Loppers, shovel, axe, repeat.

Do this and then wipe the top (freshly cut area) of each sappling or tree with roundup. This should help slowly eliminate your tree issues. Round up breaks down once it hits the soil, but if you wipe it one the tree, you should never have an issue with it.

AOD
02-21-2009, 10:11 PM
At work I will go as far as digging up entire root systems, as far down as 2 feet in soft ground. I have to do this with mulberries a lot, and they're usually in places where a stump grinder has no business going. It's hard work that'll make you strong like Viking.