PDA

View Full Version : Would like to introduce myself!

FairGreen Inc.
02-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm 21 and the owner of FairGreen Landscaping serving the Toronto, Canada area. I opened the company in November of 2008 so it's very fresh, however, I have been working in the industry for a few years now.

I'm currently working for a large Toronto-based company as a maintenance crew foreman and I've been with them for almost 3 years now. Although I started FairGreen Landscaping, I still don't have enough work to seperate myself from my current job. Especially in this ecomony, I have to play it safe.

Anyway, I'm excited to discover Lawnsite. I'm looking forward to learning new things, meet a lot of great people, and just start up some great conversations.

Thanks, Matt :)

P.S. Hopefully I'll be able to post some photos of my truck and equipment very shortly.

DLAWNS
02-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the site. I look forward to talking with you in the future.

hottabling
02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
welcome man.. i am in toronto too :canadaflag:

matt10486
02-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Matt, how do you find the time to do both? I am trying to do the same as you, I am looking for a fulltime job right now but am working part time and i hope once i find fulltime work that i can start landscaping on the side. Good luck!

Chestnut Oaks Prez
02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Welcome friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FairGreen Inc.
02-23-2009, 06:17 PM
welcome man.. i am in toronto too :canadaflag:

Hey hottabling,

It's great to see more people from Toronto here! :) Doesn't seem like there's enough of us on here. lol

Do you own your own company?

FairGreen Inc.
02-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Matt, how do you find the time to do both? I am trying to do the same as you, I am looking for a fulltime job right now but am working part time and i hope once i find fulltime work that i can start landscaping on the side. Good luck!

Hey matt10486,

I honestly don't know. :dizzy:

The company I work for includes garbage managment with all our Hospital contracts and during the spring/summer/fall season I work both Saturdays and sometimes Sundays doing that for more hours. Last year between working with the maintenance crew and signing up for extra hours doing weekend work, I was bringing in 110-120 hours every 2 weeks. On top of that, at the time I had a few residential accounts with people too and I usually had to do those properties after work on weekdays or Saturdays.

Things have slowed down right now for the winter, except when we have storms coming in of course. But, during the winter season I'm on a 4 days on-4 days off schedule, so that usually gives me a little bit more time to develope the business's image and look for new accounts.

I find that this is what it comes down to.

- No ones going to hold your hand through life, you need to be self-motivated and push yourself while your young to make a future for yourself.
It's not going to be easy, but just imagine how accomplished you'll feel when you made it. :weightlifter:

matt10486
02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey matt10486,

- No ones going to hold your hand through life, you need to be self-motivated and push yourself while your young to make a future for yourself.
It's not going to be easy, but just imagine how accomplished you'll feel when you made it. :weightlifter:

Thats crazy, good for you though. How many do you cut ?

FairGreen Inc.
02-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Thats crazy, good for you though. How many do you cut ?

I really wasn't planning on this happening, but during the summer last year, I had re-done the entire front of my house. I ripped absolutely everything out, but when I done, a few neighbours came up to me and asked me to take of their properties, and then they refered me to family/friends. In one month (June) I got 7 properties, and to be honest with you, I dont think I could have handled anything more.

This year I'm keeping what I have and going after commercial accounts. They're much less picky and most of the time you can get in and out a lot faster than some residential contracts.

If I get enough contracts, I'm going to arrange to have one day off everyweek so I can take care of my own work. But I'm definately not quitting my job until I know I have a secure and steady amount of work to support my bills.