PDA

View Full Version : Help in DFW

evergreensolutions
02-21-2009, 04:17 PM
I am an irrigator in the Collin county area. I started my business last year. I am thinking about putting someone in a truck full-time, but am nervous about it. I have always been a "do it myself so that I know it is done right" kind of guy. With the economy the way it is, have any of you had to let go of some good hands recently? I know that I am asking a lot, but I am not just willing to trust my company/customers to just anyone.

mitchgo
02-21-2009, 04:45 PM
trust just takes time with anyone. Why don't you work with them full time for the first few months? And then periodically afterwords. Make Sure they do it your way!

evergreensolutions
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM
This is a part time business for me. I am looking at making the leap to full-time (with an employee in the van). My plan is for me to continue my other full-time job.

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 04:54 PM
There's some looney tune from D/FW that might be of a consultating help, but otherwise, you gotta learn the trade, make the mistakes. Then you can train someone. Honestly, I doubt you know what "my way" is yet.

DanaMac
02-21-2009, 06:05 PM
The other Texans have not weighed in yet. Do you have a TX Lic. for irrigation?

evergreensolutions
02-21-2009, 06:11 PM
There's some looney tune from D/FW that might be of a consultating help, but otherwise, you gotta learn the trade, make the mistakes. Then you can train someone. Honestly, I doubt you know what "my way" is yet.

Pretty presumptuous, don't you think. Yes, I do hold a LI number in Texas. Thanks for your concern.

DanaMac
02-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Pretty presumptuous, don't you think. Yes, I do hold a LI number in Texas. Thanks for your concern.

Hey I wasn't being a d*** about it. Just asking. Most the Texas guys won't bother with you if you don't have one.

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Pretty presumptuous, don't you think.

Fooled me, try to be a little more informative as to your past when you post.

rlpsystems
02-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Will you be in the truck or van?

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Will you be in the truck or van?

Both........

rlpsystems
02-21-2009, 07:20 PM
And there's the camo bucket!

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 07:29 PM
And there's the camo bucket!

The final test, no cheating.

rlpsystems
02-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I need a map.

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Here's one......

Wet_Boots
02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
There is a distinct shortage of sprinkler gags in the funny pages.

As I surf the funny pages, I noted that the Chicago Tribune syndicate palmed off their strips onto the GoComics website, which wouldn't mean much of anything, but for the site including a comments box on every page. Some pages attract a following, and on the Dick Tracy strip, one wise guy supplies (intermittently as of late) a MST3K commentary for the day's offering.

irritation
02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
There is a distinct shortage of sprinkler gags in the funny pages.

http://assets.comics.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/40000/8000/600/48686/48686.full.gif

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=irritation;2789338][IMG]/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

rlpsystems
02-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Mike, did you enjoy the bidet?

Sprinkus
02-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Haven't had to let anyone go....ever! They just leave on their own!

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Mike, did you enjoy the bidet?

Traveling this great country looking for pro stuff, that's me. Save on showers, too.

rlpsystems
02-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Nice that there's a tree to lean on.

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 09:00 PM
We all need a tree we can lean on.

EagleLandscape
02-21-2009, 09:31 PM
you all are weird...

evergreen, will you be riding in the truck with that person, or would that tech be by himself?

if he is by himself, i would ride around with him for a year or two, make sure he knows the ropes. I feel it is ok if a coworker doesnt know everything, they just need to realize that they dont know everything. a tech that knows nothing, that thinks he knows everything is far more dangerous than a tech with limited knowledge, that knows his limitations.

make sense?

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 09:41 PM
you all are weird..make sense?

Jezz, we held on 'till the cavalry showed up.

rlpsystems
02-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Another buzz kill.

Mike Leary
02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Another buzz kill.

And well applicated, my man!

hoskm01
02-22-2009, 02:29 AM
ride around with him for a year or two, make sure he knows the ropes.

He better sure as hell have some knoweldge coming in, and be able to be solo 95% of the time in less than a year, or your time has just been wasted. Training and the occasional ride-along are typical, but two years together? Might as well get married afterwards.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Mike could prolly be the photographer. He does nice work.

evergreensolutions
02-22-2009, 08:51 AM
you all are weird...

evergreen, will you be riding in the truck with that person, or would that tech be by himself?

if he is by himself, i would ride around with him for a year or two, make sure he knows the ropes. I feel it is ok if a coworker doesnt know everything, they just need to realize that they dont know everything. a tech that knows nothing, that thinks he knows everything is far more dangerous than a tech with limited knowledge, that knows his limitations.

make sense?

My intent is to let him loose. My thought is that if I am going to be in the van, I might as well do the work and save the labor expense. This is a start-up business for me that I am looking to either sell or take full-time. My full-time job has required some significant travel as of late, so for my irrigation business to continue, I need someone who can be trusted while I am out of town. Maybe I am dreaming, but that is the only way it can work. Otherwise, I will be a weekend warrior.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 09:14 AM
He better sure as hell have some knoweldge coming in, and be able to be solo 95% of the time in less than a year, or your time has just been wasted. Training and the occasional ride-along are typical, but two years together? Might as well get married afterwards.

heh, I have to agree. Why hire a tech if you need to hold their hand for two years? And .... if you need to hold their hand for two years do you even want them as a tech ... talk about slow learner. Find someone qualified to do the job and perform occasional audits on their work.

DanaMac
02-22-2009, 09:31 AM
if he is by himself, i would ride around with him for a year or two, make sure he knows the ropes.

a year or two? WTF! My tech #2 I went with for ONE day and then gave him a truck on his own. I can't afford to have him with me or anyone else for 1-2 years. Granted he was already from the irrigation industry in AZ. I'm sorry, but I do NOT get twice the work done with a second person. No where near it. I had a friend work with me in 2000 and 2001. Kind of a part time thing. No matter how efficient I made it, it never really helped.

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-22-2009, 09:39 AM
heh, I have to agree. Why hire a tech if you need to hold their hand for two years? And .... if you need to hold their hand for two years do you even want them as a tech ... talk about slow learner. Find someone qualified to do the job and perform occasional audits on their work.

The thing nobody seems to get is that an experienced irrigator doesn't just fall out of the sky. The really good experienced ones are either running there own business or are locked up by a lucky/savvy owner/company. If I was an experienced/young irrigator who did not want the responsibilty of running a business I would go in three possible directions.

A very nice salary or pay from a no benefit company figuring my wife's job would provide the benefits.

A job with somebody like Valleycrest which would provide pay/benefits and advancement opportunities.

A job with the fire dept. or part time at UPS to get benefits and sub work for a single contractor in my spare time.

The oddball irrigators I have run into for employment that I did not train were awful. They were either lazy, didn't believe irrigation service should involve digging, clueless, couldn't troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag, unethical or liars which is why they got fired in spite of what they claim otherwise from their previous employer.

IF you are a small company and want to have good reliable techs you need to have a constant training program. Find good young people 19-22 years old, train them and figure you'll lose them when they turn 28 or so. Maybe you'll get real lucky with one and your relationship will be so good he becomes a long term employee and takes over the training for you.

I wish I could be more encouraging but the odds of a small company finding a good tech are pretty slim. An irrigator with a Li does not equal experienced. We need more people willing to train and give away their knowledge and work ethics and less smartest guy in the room sh@t.

evergreensolutions
02-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Honestly, I doubt you know what "my way" is yet.

Why, because I don't have 9,000 posts chiding new people in the irrigation business on some on-line forum somewhere? Maybe the last thing that I want to do is post incessant prattle on a forum. Maybe all of my free time is spent gaining the experience that I need to run my company. I know you are a cranky old man, but give me a break here.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 09:50 AM
The thing nobody seems to get is that an experienced irrigator doesn't just fall out of the sky.

Oh, trust me, I get it .... and will extend it to say good help (experience or not) doesn't fall from the sky either.

EagleLandscape
02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
The thing nobody seems to get is that an experienced irrigator doesn't just fall out of the sky. The really good experienced ones are either running there own business or are locked up by a lucky/savvy owner/company. If I was an experienced/young irrigator who did not want the responsibilty of running a business I would go in three possible directions.

A very nice salary or pay from a no benefit company figuring my wife's job would provide the benefits.

A job with somebody like Valleycrest which would provide pay/benefits and advancement opportunities.

A job with the fire dept. or part time at UPS to get benefits and sub work for a single contractor in my spare time.

The oddball irrigators I have run into for employment that I did not train were awful. They were either lazy, didn't believe irrigation service should involve digging, clueless, couldn't troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag, unethical or liars which is why they got fired in spite of what they claim otherwise from their previous employer.

IF you are a small company and want to have good reliable techs you need to have a constant training program. Find good young people 19-22 years old, train them and figure you'll lose them when they turn 28 or so. Maybe you'll get real lucky with one and your relationship will be so good he becomes a long term employee and takes over the training for you.

I wish I could be more encouraging but the odds of a small company finding a good tech are pretty slim. An irrigator with a Li does not equal experienced. We need more people willing to train and give away their knowledge and work ethics and less smartest guy in the room sh@t.

that's the problem. You cannot possibly have a true "irrigation tech/salesperson/customer service guy" all-in-one, with a few days of training. Think of how long it took you to become "good" to where you are now. you want that knowledge for all of your techs. the more the techs know, the more they can educate the customer, promote sales and upgrades, which is money in your pocket, and water saved.

now if all a company wants to do is fix a head, and bill $100, thats another story. But it is money lost by not selling upgrades, and not providing "true" customer service to the customer.

EagleLandscape
02-22-2009, 05:36 PM
evergreen, what is the name of your company, what areas do you service, and whats your LI number if you dont mind me asking:) just curious.

do you do any installations?

Mike Leary
02-22-2009, 05:43 PM
evergreen, what is the name of your company, what areas do you service, and whats your LI number if you dont mind me asking:) just curious.

I'd be asking the same questions if they were in my back yard.

DanaMac
02-22-2009, 05:52 PM
that's the problem. You cannot possibly have a true "irrigation tech/salesperson/customer service guy" all-in-one, with a few days of training. Think of how long it took you to become "good" to where you are now. you want that knowledge for all of your techs. the more the techs know, the more they can educate the customer, promote sales and upgrades, which is money in your pocket, and water saved.

now if all a company wants to do is fix a head, and bill $100, thats another story. But it is money lost by not selling upgrades, and not providing "true" customer service to the customer.

Yeah I don't think I explained myself well. Honestly, I don't think I can train somebody. So I only look for guys with experience already. My #1 tech I kind of trained. He started with us when we still did installs, so he got some experience as to how they should be installed and how they should operate. And I sent him to service calls with my other employee at the time. BUT - he picked up a lot on his own. And I have sent him to seminar/classes over the years. As the owner, we need to hire the guys that have a mechanical mind. Some guys can figure things out on their own, others can't. Not everybody can be trained to be a service tech. And not everyone (myself included) can be happy doing installs.

EagleLandscape
02-22-2009, 05:56 PM
I'd be asking the same questions if they were in my back yard.

no threat. just curious. i don't have a problem with contractors that are in the same service area. there is plenty of work to go around here. i enjoy meeting other contractors in the area, running into them at supply houses, etc.

life is too short to be concerned with competition. do good work, and your customers will be customers to life. no need to worry about them being stolen.:)

Mike Leary
02-22-2009, 05:59 PM
no threat. just curious. i don't have a problem with contractors that are in the same service area. there is plenty of work to go around here. i enjoy meeting other contractors in the area, running into them at supply houses, etc.

life is too short to be concerned with competition. do good work, and your customers will be customers to life. no need to worry about them being stolen.:)

Ho ho......

bicmudpuppy
02-22-2009, 06:40 PM
This is a labor intensive industry. If you think anyone questioning your labor ethic/quality is disrespectful, then your either naive and very new to this industry, or you are one of those we all love, because YOU ARE GOOD FOR BUSINESS. If your good for the industry and truly are a competent irrigator, then you should understand how many trunk slammers are out there.

Now, back to your "problem". Your problem is you want the "cake" without the work and this business doesn't work that way. You can be hiring lawn mowers instead of knowledgeable technicians, and you still have to fire 20 to keep one. Your not going to find ten apt employees who can do irrigation, so your either going to hire somebody's leftovers, or your going to train a tech. You can't train a tech and you can't watchdog a left over. Time to **** or get of the pot. Are you an irrigation contractor? or are you whatever your day job currently is?

evergreensolutions
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM

The name of my company is Evergreen Solutions. I cover the Collin county area (mostly McKinney). LI16687. I know. A five digit number (I must not know what I am doing). As I mentioned, I started out last year as an evening and weekend guy, but gave my customers 110% service and attention. So far this year, my phone has been ringing with the same customers from last year. I guess that means that I did my job. My full time job is sales so I am much more knowledgeable about customer service than I am about service work. I have not yet come across a problem that I couldn't/didn't fix (not to say that it won't happen). You guys on the forum have actually been a huge help (sarcasm aside). I have done a few installs to get the feel of them. Enough to learn that I can't make any money doing them. I now sub/refer all of my install business to another DFW irrigator and I do strictly repair/upgrades. If I am going to take this business full time, I need to find help. If not, then I need to sell a van, 521 locator, station master, and a bunch of other tools.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 09:38 PM
How can you not make any money from an install? That's my bread and butta.

evergreensolutions
02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
This is a labor intensive industry. If you think anyone questioning your labor ethic/quality is disrespectful, then your either naive and very new to this industry, or you are one of those we all love, because YOU ARE GOOD FOR BUSINESS. If your good for the industry and truly are a competent irrigator, then you should understand how many trunk slammers are out there.

Now, back to your "problem". Your problem is you want the "cake" without the work and this business doesn't work that way. You can be hiring lawn mowers instead of knowledgeable technicians, and you still have to fire 20 to keep one. Your not going to find ten apt employees who can do irrigation, so your either going to hire somebody's leftovers, or your going to train a tech. You can't train a tech and you can't watchdog a left over. Time to **** or get of the pot. Are you an irrigation contractor? or are you whatever your day job currently is?

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I will offer you a simple invitation. Move on down here to DFW and you can service every one of my dissatisfied customers. If that is all you counted on, you would have plenty of time for a hobby. My customers love the work that I do and they like to deal with me. I treat them fairly, and do a good job. I am not the cheapest guy around, but seem to stay busy.
The reason that this is my part time gig is that my wife stays home with our 2 children. I am in the process of trying to build the business to the point where it will support my family. The way that I have chosen to do this is through the ways that I have previously described. I agree that if I was 20 years old, that I would need to do one or the other. The problem is that there are forces in play in my decision that you know nothing about.

evergreensolutions
02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
How can you not make any money from an install? That's my bread and butta.

I guess that I suck at them. Real reason is that I was using sub-contracted help at a high wage. I don't have a crew, so I was out on the installs. I can make more money myself doing repairs.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Fair enough. Dont think though that you can't intall and make money. If your around long enough you will install and you will find your "way" of doing it. Good Luck.

mitchgo
02-22-2009, 09:47 PM
that makes sense.. no crew.. no installs.

I did a 7 zone install at my parents house Trenching only by my self.. the POC and the first 2 zone alone took me 60 man hours. Granted I had mucho drinks in me most of the time because I wasn't getting paid but it still takes to long to do it by your self.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 09:52 PM
The money is in maint. and renovation .... leave the installs to the hacks so you have more work.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
What and leave thousands on the install table.

evergreensolutions
02-22-2009, 09:57 PM
You can have the thousands at 20% and I'll take the thousands at 70%. Deal?

Kiril
02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
What and leave thousands on the install table.

Yup, you bet.

hoskm01
02-22-2009, 10:05 PM
that makes sense.. no crew.. no installs.

I did a 7 zone install at my parents house Trenching only by my self.. the POC and the first 2 zone alone took me 60 man hours. Granted I had mucho drinks in me most of the time because I wasn't getting paid but it still takes to long to do it by your self.
I did systems when I started, doing it part time, by myself, no crew.

6 zones took me usually 48 man hours. Its doable, if ya like it.

evergreensolutions
02-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Therein lies the problem, don't like it. I much prefer service. To me, it seems less repetitious.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 10:13 PM

I agree, it is doable for a one man op, and the client usually gets what they pay for, not some rush job done by a bunch of unskilled laborers with a 300% markup on T&M. :dizzy: That being said, there is still more money in maint. and renovation, especially since renovation can mean a new system in many cases.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I have a hard time with someone that wants to "work on" but not install a system. Is it to much work? Irrigation starts at POC. Never ends. So why not install, service, maintain and up-sell.

evergreensolutions
02-22-2009, 10:25 PM
I have a hard time with someone that wants to "work on" but not install a system. Is it to much work? Irrigation starts at POC. Never ends. So why not install, service, maintain and up-sell.

Not too much work at all. Everyone needs focus. Those who are solo need to find what they are best at. Some people can install an awesome system, but couldn't troubleshoot a faulty solenoid if they had to. Then there are those who can find a wire break under an AC unit but not design a system to save their lives. It is simply a matter of finding what value you present to the customer. Once you figure that out, then you can do well. The caveat here is that if you have a large crew, you might have the best of both worlds. But I still contend that it is a very rare bird that is GREAT at both installs and service/troubleshooting.

mitchgo
02-22-2009, 10:28 PM

oh yeah totally. and props to you for doing that in that amount of time. When I did that I wasn't much in a hurry

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Well evergreen you may be on it. Just dont think that you cant install a true system. When you work on them all the time you will know where the mistakes/easy way outs have been made. I install and service. I thought I would like to just service but to many installs came my way. Look into it if you can. You dont have to install a six zone system in two days. Or even three.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 10:32 PM

Who said anything about not installing? If you renovate a system from the POC, and reuse some of the original piping, are you not essentially installing a new system? If you renovate an entire zone are you not installing? Guess it depends on how you define "install". By your definition, the "installers" out here are a bunch of hacks ... even the ones who come highly recommended with landscape awards as feathers.

Furthermore, why would you have a problem with someone who maintains existing systems? Very good money can be made in that area, especially given the vast majority of systems are improperly designed and installed.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
I think you know the difference between installing and servicing. A renovation is nothing like an install. And yes, you can make good money by servicing, but to get the most out of it why not install?

Kiril
02-22-2009, 10:51 PM
A renovation is nothing like an install.

Haven't done much renovation I see.

And yes, you can make good money by servicing, but to get the most out of it why not install?

Are you asking me personally or generally speaking?

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Your not serious.. An install starts at PSI, GPM, installation of pump or back flow or both. Turf needs, plant needs. Alot of consideration. Maybe the installers in your area don't really care, or are just stupid. I have renovated many systems, and installed many systems. They are not alike. So go and look for your 500 renovation's, and I will look for the 7500 install. And quit hiding........

ARGOS
02-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Money is in the service. Installs are fine. A renovation is worse then an install.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 11:02 PM
ARGOS. You are right on the money.

hoskm01
02-22-2009, 11:06 PM
oh yeah totally. and props to you for doing that in that amount of time. When I did that I wasn't much in a hurry
I wish I had been in comfortable places, with mucho beer to keep me going!

mitchgo
02-22-2009, 11:07 PM
dude.. you always get so defensive..

I love installs. Our company does 90% service and 10% installs. Intalls may even be less. But I also love service. Different situation every job. I like to figure things out and fix situations.

Unlesss you bid it out for a set price which isn't very smart for a renovation One nice thing is that when you are creating the estimate.. you get the - due to unforeseen circumstances the cost may be more to the job.. which is a sense of security. rather then a set bid. (Though most of us I assume already bid high to set it as a worst case scenario )

A renovation is definitely more adventurous then a install.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry mitch, not looking for an adventure.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Your not serious.. An install starts at PSI, GPM, installation of pump or back flow or both. Turf needs, plant needs. Alot of consideration. Maybe the installers in your area don't really care, or are just stupid. I have renovated many systems, and installed many systems. They are not alike. So go and look for your 500 renovation's, and I will look for the 7500 install. And quit hiding........

lol ... you don't seriously think the design factors for a new install don't apply to a renovation? In fact, I would say it is more difficult designing a renovation (based on the extent of it) than a new install given you are most likely dealing with a mature landscape that has changed drastically from the original design.

BTW, if you think all you can get from a renovation is $500 ..... :hammerhead:

Let me ask you this. If you have a site that has an existing sprinkler system, and you renovate the entire system, how is this any different than a new install .... other than it is far more difficult ... which translates into more money.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
ARGOS. You are right on the money.

Which is it ... money is in installs or service? You are pitching a fit because I said the money is in service and renovation .... then you agree with Argos that the money is in service. :dizzy: :rolleyes:

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Your still not serious are you? Maybe in zone 9 they dont give a flip but when irrigation is installed by us here we go through all of the "what if's". Controller, pipe size, amount of heads per zone, spacing. Maybe your right when you reference "renovating a system" to cover growing/changing landscape. Yes KIRIL. But to design a system with the changing landscape in mind is the way I perfer to do it. And 500 for a renovation? OK, I love the fact that theres alot more.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Which is it ... money is in installs or service? You are pitching a fit because I said the money is in service and renovation .... then you agree with Argos that the money is in service. :dizzy: :rolleyes:

WHOA. Not a fit. Just stating that the OP can install and make money. Nuttin but love here..................

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Your still not serious are you? Maybe in zone 9 they dont give a flip but when irrigation is installed by us here we go through all of the "what if's". Controller, pipe size, amount of heads per zone, spacing. Maybe your right when you reference "renovating a system" to cover growing/changing landscape. Yes KIRIL. But to design a system with the changing landscape in mind is the way I perfer to do it. And 500 for a renovation? OK, I love the fact that theres alot more.

OK girl, have it your way. Next time I do a 15K renovation I will be thinking of you and :laugh:

Since you seem to pride yourself on covering all the bases, can we test you? I'd love to get into a good conversation with someone regarding proper design.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Giril, go ahead.

ARGOS
02-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Renovations are only T&M and WAY more painful then an install. Here in Zone 9 there are many competent installers and as Kiril mentioned many hacks. I have trouble believing that there are not hacks in every part of the country?

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Renovations are only T&M and WAY more painful then an install.

Oh, I definitely agree with this, but that is also what makes it way more challenging.

ARGOS
02-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Giril, go ahead.

DUDE you do not know what you just started.

ARGOS
02-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Oh, I definitely agree with this, but that is also what makes it way more challenging.

Hey, I'm just making small talk.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
DUDE you do not know what you just started.

What else is there to do in February.. West coast versus east coast.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Giril, go ahead.

So what should we review first? Any monkey can figure out flow and pressure, lets talk about the really good stuff.

You choose a place to start.

Proper hydrozone design/layout
Calculation of hydrozone water requirements
Optimizing nutrient management via irrigation design and scheduling
Optimizing pesticide application via irrigation design and management
Optimizing water use and BMP for conserving water
How to manage an irrigated aridosol
How to design and manage a system to comply with LEED (this one is for JW)

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Wow. Took you a while to come up with your list sissy. (Little)
Come to the right side and see how it's done.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:51 PM

Girl, that is only the tip of the ice burg. Should we start a new thread? :laugh:

BTW, all things irrigation begin in CA and Israel.

rlpsystems
02-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Trying to figure out why you don't install if you think you know so much. Please explain sissy.

Kiril
02-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Trying to figure out why you don't install if you think you know so much. Please explain sissy.

Did I say I have not installed? At this stage of the game I want nothing to do with install or service .... let me know when you reach that point.

So are we going to have our "sissy" test or not? You accepted the challenge ..... back it up.

rlpsystems
02-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Go ahead sissy

rlpsystems
02-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Did I say I have not installed? At this stage of the game I want nothing to do with install or service .... let me know when you reach that point.

So are we going to have our "sissy" test or not? You accepted the challenge ..... back it up.

I dont think I will not ever want to install or service. So I guess I WILL not let you know when I get to that point. As I see IT you play on a computer year round. Post away sissy. I would rather Install and get dirty than sit at home "playing irrigation".

Kiril
02-23-2009, 12:08 AM
I dont think I will not ever want to install or service. So I guess I WILL not let you know when I get to that point. As I see IT you play on a computer year round. Post away sissy. I would rather Install and get dirty than sit at home "playing irrigation".

ROFL .... says the noob.

Here is your thread. This is your chance to impress us.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2793100#post2793100

ARGOS
02-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Rip you started this. Now you have to finish it. Show you irrigation knowledge. Tossing out "sissy" isn't going to get you very far.

ARGOS
02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Girl, that is only the tip of the ice burg. Should we start a new thread? :laugh:

BTW, all things irrigation begin in CA and Israel.

I thought xeriscape came out of Colorado?

Kiril
02-23-2009, 12:25 AM
I thought xeriscape came out of Colorado?

:laugh: Technology not concepts.

bicmudpuppy
02-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Wow, you learn something every day. I never would have thought anyone would suggest that the overhead and profit margin on installations would even compare to the overhead and profit margin on service and repair. I promise that in EVERY market I have ever worked in, if you charged service rates and service markup for installation work, you would spend more time doing inventory than installing. BUT, you can be at the top end of the market and do quality service and you will never lack for work. So, keep two or three techs busy doing service, or fight the headaches and hassle of scheduling and selling enough work to keep 4-5 CREWS busy for the same gross profits? You can have all the installation work you want.

evergreensolutions
02-23-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm with you Bic!

hoskm01
02-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I cant imagine the east coast is superior in irrigation, given the prevelance of water conservation and drought in the west, on a REGULAR basis.

We also are involved with LEED, Kiril. Big up here with new builds/systems, mostly commercial.

Tom Tom
02-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I cant imagine the east coast is superior in irrigation, given the prevelance of water conservation and drought in the west, on a REGULAR basis.

We also are involved with LEED, Kiril. Big up here with new builds/systems, mostly commercial.

It's not.

The Colorado front range is at the center of the irritation, oops irrigation universe. :drinkup:

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-23-2009, 09:58 AM

I will say I saw some quality systems in Raleigh, NC. Some people cut through their regional cr@p to still do very professional work.